Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mold On RTV Silicone In Bathroom Shower ?

Hello,

Have a shower stall that has some RTV Silicone that was apparently used
in a few spots to seal small cracks. Whoever did it, shouldn't have, but...

Anyway, as expected, over the years some very light blackish mold has
developed on it. Looks like "mainly" on the surface, and undoubtedly
a bit below also.

Tried several of the normal household cleaners with no luck.

There are zillions more cleaners and products avail., but can't try them
all.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try, or at least worth a try ?

Really don't want to dig out all the RTV, if I can avoid.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/16/2011 7:43 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a shower stall that has some RTV Silicone that was apparently used
in a few spots to seal small cracks. Whoever did it, shouldn't have, but...

Anyway, as expected, over the years some very light blackish mold has
developed on it. Looks like "mainly" on the surface, and undoubtedly
a bit below also.

Tried several of the normal household cleaners with no luck.

There are zillions more cleaners and products avail., but can't try them
all.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try, or at least worth a try ?

Really don't want to dig out all the RTV, if I can avoid.

Thanks,
Bob

I put on a few drops of bleach and leave it on and rinse off later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 7/16/2011 7:43 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a shower stall that has some RTV Silicone that was apparently used
in a few spots to seal small cracks. Whoever did it, shouldn't have,
but...

Anyway, as expected, over the years some very light blackish mold has
developed on it. Looks like "mainly" on the surface, and undoubtedly
a bit below also.

Tried several of the normal household cleaners with no luck.

There are zillions more cleaners and products avail., but can't try them
all.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try, or at least worth a try ?

Really don't want to dig out all the RTV, if I can avoid.

Thanks,
Bob

I put on a few drops of bleach and leave it on and rinse off later.

I put a lot of bleach on my floor, turned on the fan, and left it for
over an hour so it could soak in. All mold was gone and has stayed on
for several months since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote in :

Hello,

Have a shower stall that has some RTV Silicone that was apparently
used in a few spots to seal small cracks. Whoever did it, shouldn't
have, but...

Anyway, as expected, over the years some very light blackish mold has
developed on it. Looks like "mainly" on the surface, and undoubtedly
a bit below also.

Tried several of the normal household cleaners with no luck.

There are zillions more cleaners and products avail., but can't try
them all.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try, or at least worth a try ?

Really don't want to dig out all the RTV, if I can avoid.

Thanks,
Bob

Mix water and bleach to 95% water/5% bleach and pour/spray it on the RTV.
For stubborn areas, soak a paper towel in the mixture and press it onto the
RTV. That way it stays wet and active for longer.

Hardware stores also sell spray bottles with mixtures specifically designed
to kill mould on tile and silicone. They work.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

After you go nuclear with bleach, keep a spray bottle of white vinegar
in the bath and it will prevent and remove the mildew and mold before
it can get a toehold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 7:36*am, Tegger wrote:
Bob wrote :

[...]

Tegger- Hide quoted text -

That's way too weak, I use at least a 50-50 mixture, sometimes even
stronger if I am in a hurry. Just don't breathe the fumes, keep the
bathroom fan on if possible, and don't plan on using the facility for
an hour or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Have a shower stall that has some RTV Silicone that was apparently used
in a few spots to seal small cracks. Whoever did it, shouldn't have,
but...

Anyway, as expected, over the years some very light blackish mold has
developed on it. Looks like "mainly" on the surface, and undoubtedly
a bit below also.

Tried several of the normal household cleaners with no luck.

There are zillions more cleaners and products avail., but can't try them
all.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try, or at least worth a try ?

Really don't want to dig out all the RTV, if I can avoid.

Thanks,
Bob

Watch using bleach, it's corrosive! You don't want to get it on fixtures or
any metal.

I use Softscrub w/bleach at least once a week. I put it on the caulking
areas & rinse it off in about an hour (don't scrub the caulking, just wipe
the Softscrub on). They must have their solution just right, cause it
hasn't damaged any metal.