Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestion for a good pool glue (plastic on plastic, always underwater)

I have a small 1-inch long, half-inch wide white plastic 'tab' that fell
off which holds a cover down.

It's all under water (a few thousand gallons would have to be removed to
expose it to air).

It's plastic on plastic.

Any suggestions for a good glue that works underwater?

Is there such a thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"arkland" wrote in message
I have a small 1-inch long, half-inch wide white plastic 'tab' that fell
off which holds a cover down.

It's all under water (a few thousand gallons would have to be removed to
expose it to air).

It's plastic on plastic.

Any suggestions for a good glue that works underwater?

Is there such a thing?

What type of plastic? If it is styrene, there are many good solvent based
adhesives that could work. It it is any type of polyethylene material, there
is no adhesive that will work.

There are thousands of potential blends of plastic. Need more info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"arkland" wrote in message

I have a small 1-inch long, half-inch wide white plastic 'tab' that fell
off which holds a cover down.

It's all under water (a few thousand gallons would have to be removed to
expose it to air).

It's plastic on plastic.

Any suggestions for a good glue that works underwater?

Is there such a thing?

What did they tell you at the pool store?
(It was years ago, details now forgotten, but when I showed
the pool store expert various parts disassembled from a
filter, he told me two items were broken, i.e. ought to
comprise a single unit: and recommended an appropriate
adhesive: which worked.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 9:10*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"arkland" wrote in message

I have a small 1-inch long, half-inch wide white plastic 'tab' that fell
off which holds a cover down.

It's all under water (a few thousand gallons would have to be removed to
expose it to air).

It's plastic on plastic.

Any suggestions for a good glue that works underwater?

Is there such a thing?

What did they tell you at the pool store?
(It was years ago, details now forgotten, but when I showed
the pool store expert various parts disassembled from a
filter, he told me two items were broken, i.e. ought to
comprise a single unit: *and recommended an appropriate
adhesive: *which worked.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Crazy glue could work. Of course it depends on the surface
area you have to work with and what forces the "tab" are
exposed to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in
:

"arkland" wrote in message

I have a small 1-inch long, half-inch wide white plastic 'tab' that fell
off which holds a cover down.

It's all under water (a few thousand gallons would have to be removed to
expose it to air).

It's plastic on plastic.

Any suggestions for a good glue that works underwater?

Is there such a thing?

What did they tell you at the pool store?
(It was years ago, details now forgotten, but when I showed
the pool store expert various parts disassembled from a
filter, he told me two items were broken, i.e. ought to
comprise a single unit: and recommended an appropriate
adhesive: which worked.)

epoxy works underwater.
but getting a clean surface to bond to might be a problem.
gotta rough it up,too.maybe dril some holes for extra bonding surface.
Can you unscrew or remove the broken part and glue it above water?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"arkland" wrote in message
I have a small 1-inch long, half-inch wide white plastic 'tab' that fell
off which holds a cover down.

It's all under water (a few thousand gallons would have to be removed to
expose it to air).

It's plastic on plastic.

Any suggestions for a good glue that works underwater?

Is there such a thing?

$.47 at Sears.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...61&SubcatID=10

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:11*am, arkland wrote:
I have a small 1-inch long, half-inch wide white plastic 'tab' that fell
off which holds a cover down.

It's all under water (a few thousand gallons would have to be removed to
expose it to air).

It's plastic on plastic.

Any suggestions for a good glue that works underwater?

Is there such a thing?

DAGS for "This to That" a website which specializes in recommending
adhesives.
JoeG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 05:58:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There are thousands of potential blends of plastic. Need more info.

Yikes. It's in the pool skimmer. So, it's that white plastic that pool
skimmers have (which is kind of a yellowish off white color).

Do you know what type of plastic that would be?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:56:16 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

Can you unscrew or remove the broken part and glue it above water?

I guess 'anything' is removable; but it's in the pool skimmer area
(actually the cannister but that's getting complicated).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:26:38 -0500, tom wrote:
http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...61&SubcatID=10

That 'might' work.

It says 'waterproof' but nowhere does it mention that it can cure under
water.

DAP Products Construction Adhesives Specialty Adhesives
DAP® EPOXY STIK® 2-Minute Epoxy

Fast-setting, high performance, two-component epoxy adhesive that dries
clear in two minutes. It comes in a convenient, easy-to-use single dose
pack that allows you to make quick repairs anywhere without waste.
Provides a permanent, waterproof bond. Ideal for all types of household
bonding and repair needs. It provides excellent adhesion to ceramics,
china, glass, wood, concrete, metal and most plastics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:10:05 -0700, GROVER wrote:

DAGS for "This to That"

I had never heard of http://www.thistothat.com before so thanks for the
pointer.

Unfortunately, they don't have anything whatsoever on their site that
says it will work under water.

Their glue calculator, for example, to glue "plastic" to "plastic",
simply comes up with:

"If you are gluing PVC plumbing pipes, we recommend: PVC Adhesive
If you are gluing something else and your joint needs to be flexible use:
Household Goop
Otherwise, use: LePage's 5 Minute Epoxy or LePage's Regular Minute Epoxy"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 6:19*pm, arkland wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:56:16 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:
Can you unscrew or remove the broken part and glue it above water?

I guess 'anything' is removable; but it's in the pool skimmer area
(actually the cannister but that's getting complicated).

If it's in the skimmer, just let the water go down to the
min over time, then pump out the few more inches it
takes to get it above water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

arkland wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:10:05 -0700, GROVER wrote:

DAGS for "This to That"

I had never heard of http://www.thistothat.com before so thanks for
the pointer.

Unfortunately, they don't have anything whatsoever on their site that
says it will work under water.

Their glue calculator, for example, to glue "plastic" to "plastic",
simply comes up with:

"If you are gluing PVC plumbing pipes, we recommend: PVC Adhesive
If you are gluing something else and your joint needs to be flexible
use: Household Goop
Otherwise, use: LePage's 5 Minute Epoxy or LePage's Regular Minute
Epoxy"

devcon has a 2 part putty epoxy. available at home depot. i use it to attach
corals to rocks in my salt water tanks. it cures underwater just fine, but
it has to have some sort of mechanical lock, so you have to rough up the 2
surfaces well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

arkland wrote:
I had never heard of http://www.thistothat.com before

Unfortunately, they don't have anything whatsoever on their site that
says it will work under water.

Did you even try to Google "underwater swimming pool glue"?

http://tinyurl.com/6b3cc4p