DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Air Conditioner compressor Humming sound (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/325272-air-conditioner-compressor-humming-sound.html)

AT[_4_] June 29th 11 01:35 AM

Air Conditioner compressor Humming sound

I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

Regards

AT

The Daring Dufas[_7_] June 29th 11 02:26 AM

On 6/28/2011 7:35 PM, AT wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

Regards

AT

Air compressor????

TDD

Tony Hwang June 29th 11 02:41 AM

AT wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

Regards

AT

Hi,
Time to check contactor, and capacitor(s).
Don't get yourself electrocuted.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] June 29th 11 03:26 AM

"AT" wrote in message
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

Regards

AT

Fan motor is not working. Could be the motor, could be a capacitor, could
be a few things. If you don't know how to diagnose that stuff, call a
service tech. Check out the service manual here
http://hvacpartsshop.net/10ACB_Series.pdf

Stormin Mormon June 29th 11 01:47 PM

Air Conditioner compressor Humming sound

Call a repair and service company immediately. The next step
in the process, is that the compressor stops humming, and
the repair gets a lot more expensive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

HeyBub[_3_] June 29th 11 02:09 PM

AT wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

I'm guessing the start capacitor is kaput.

1. Turn off power.
2. Take several pictures of wires connected to capacitor(s)
3. Remove capacitor.
4. Take capacitor to A/C parts store and say "Gimme one like this"
(Higher voltage okay)
5. Install new capacitor
6. Turn on power.
7. Does it work?
7a. Yes, you're done
7b. No, call reputable A/C tech

Pat[_5_] June 29th 11 03:29 PM

Air Conditioner compressor Humming sound

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
AT wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

I'm guessing the start capacitor is kaput.

1. Turn off power.
2. Take several pictures of wires connected to capacitor(s)
3. Remove capacitor.
4. Take capacitor to A/C parts store and say "Gimme one like this"
(Higher voltage okay)
5. Install new capacitor
6. Turn on power.
7. Does it work?
7a. Yes, you're done

I did this on a window air conditioner and it worked.

[email protected] June 29th 11 04:03 PM

Air Conditioner compressor Humming sound

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:29:34 -0700, "Pat" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
AT wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

I'm guessing the start capacitor is kaput.

1. Turn off power.
2. Take several pictures of wires connected to capacitor(s)
3. Remove capacitor.
4. Take capacitor to A/C parts store and say "Gimme one like this"
(Higher voltage okay)
5. Install new capacitor
6. Turn on power.
7. Does it work?
7a. Yes, you're done

I did this on a window air conditioner and it worked.

You may have a breaker that is tripped, and the relay ( contactor ) is
making a humming noise. ( Note: The contactor is powered from the
inside unit.) If the compressor is buzzing it will cycle on and off.
Check the breakers. You could have one inside the house and one out
side. The one outside may be a fuse type.

hr(bob) [email protected] June 30th 11 08:54 PM

On Jun 28, 7:35*pm, AT wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

Regards

AT

The rest of the system could not be working fine if the outside fan
was not blowing air over the condensing coils to liquify the
refrigerant before sending it back to the A-coil in the blower unit
inside the house. That is assuming you have a conventional system.

LouB[_3_] June 30th 11 09:32 PM

On 6/30/2011 3:54 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Jun 28, 7:35 pm, wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

Regards

AT

The rest of the system could not be working fine if the outside fan
was not blowing air over the condensing coils to liquify the
refrigerant before sending it back to the A-coil in the blower unit
inside the house. That is assuming you have a conventional system.

1. oil it
2 check for slipping blade
3 call repair service

[email protected] July 1st 11 03:03 PM

On Jun 28, 7:35 pm, wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

Regards

AT

The rest of the system could not be working fine if the outside fan
was not blowing air over the condensing coils to liquify the
refrigerant before sending it back to the A-coil in the blower unit
inside the house. That is assuming you have a conventional system.

1. oil it
2 check for slipping blade
3 call repair service

If it is buzzing all the time, like I said before it may be the
contactor relay. I remember on several ocassions that I found a bug
smashed between the contacts. Again make sure that there is power to
the outside condenser unit. A split unit control circuit voltage
useualy comes from the inside unit.

cjt July 2nd 11 03:12 AM

On Jun 28, 7:35 pm, wrote:
I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

Regards

AT

The rest of the system could not be working fine if the outside fan
was not blowing air over the condensing coils to liquify the
refrigerant before sending it back to the A-coil in the blower unit
inside the house. That is assuming you have a conventional system.

1. oil it

be sure to turn the power off first

2 check for slipping blade
3 call repair service

Percival P. Cassidy July 2nd 11 03:56 AM

On 06/28/11 08:35 pm, AT wrote:

I have a Lennox 10 ACB Compressor system. I noticed today that the Air
compressor (external) was making a humming sound and the fan was not
working. The rest of the Air Conditioning system seems to be working
fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the above issue.

When our Lennox did this a couple of years back, it was the capacitor;
more precisely, it was one of the two capacitors in a single can. I had
a meter that allowed me to check it; if you don't, maybe you could just
remove the capacitor (take careful note of the connections) and take it
to an a/c service place and see if they will sell you a replacement.
Don't remember how much I paid, but probably less than $20.

Perce