Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom odors

In one of our three bathrooms, we have a slight sewer gas odor.
But, even a slight sewer gas odor is unpleasant, so I need to fix
it.

The odor is not coming through the shower or lavatory drains,
but from the commode area. We have tried airing out the room,
then not using this bathroom for two or three days, but the odor
remains. The toilet bowl holds the normal level of water, so
I don't think it is coming up through there.

The only thing I can think of is the wax ring must have deteriorated,
although I have not ever heard of this happening. Our house is
sixteen years old, and we have lived in much older houses, and
never had to replace a wax ring.

I don't think it makes any difference, but we are on a septic system
since we are outside city limits. The system is working properly, and
has recently been pumped out. This did not have any effect on the
odor.

I'm too old and stiff to tackle the job of changing the wax ring myself,
but wonder about how long of a job this might be since I'll hire it out.

All comments welcome and appreciated.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:

[...]

If it's just a wax ring issue, it's under an hour to replace, if a
problem is found such as a crack in the waste pipe it could take a lot
longer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob-tx wrote:

[...]

OR a blocked vent forcing the smell up through any escape that is available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:33:29 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
nster.com...

Bob-tx wrote:

[...]

Check and see if the odor is coming from the sink or bath tub drain.
We bought a new house in Lexington, KY an within a month or so we were
smelling a sewer gas type odor around the sinks. The plumber came back
to check for the problem. He said that it was quiet common for the
traps to have a bacteria growth that smell like sewer gas. He
suggested using Listerine, however I used chlorine bleach. I kept a
plastic squirt bottle filled with bleach and would squirt about a
table spoon full in the drains as needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 3:47*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
[...]

You've got three bathrooms, so there must be a fair number of people
around. Empty the tank after turning the water off. Then disconnect
the water at the tank. Now it's ready to be raised up. Small wrench
undo the nuts, and it's ready to be 'levitated'. Put a newspaper
alongside and have the helpers raise it up, and set it on the paper.
Replace the wax ring. Then reverse the process. Snug up the nuts
so the toilet doesn't wiggle, no more. Then in a couple days, do it
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Before you change the wax ring, check under the rim inside the bowl. I
had a similar problem years ago with a toilet that smelled for no
apparent reason. Using a mirror and flashlight, I discovered that the
back drain holes under the rim had become closed off with mineral
deposits over the years. Since the water wasn't rinsing back there
with every flush, it allowed odor-causing bacterial to build up. I
opened all the holes with a nail and solved the problem.

Replacing the wax ring isn't difficult; unscrew the two bolts holding
the toilet to the floor, lift it off the pipe, tip, remove old wax
ring, put on new wax ring, re-install. An experienced plumber should
be able to do it very quickly.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I agree, the wax ring could be yout problem. Before going there check
under the sink to make sure you don't have vent valves. Replacing the
wax ring on an old toilet would be an hour at most. It's not so heavy
if you take the tank off first. If you do that get a new tank gasket
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 12:47*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
[...]

Probably already answered. I use google and it is basically dead
but...

The odds are that the wax ring is shot and the floor and/or subfloor
is rotted which may be the source of theodor.

Anyhow, changing the ring is a matter of only a few minutes. The cost
will come from the 'service call' and 'mileage' charge. I am 5 miles
from the plumbers office and jsut paid $80 service call and $10
mileage fee to replace the drain plumbing under a sink. Like you, I
am too old tobe crawling around down there.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 2:47*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
[...]

Jst caulk the bottom of the toilet tight, I have had that issue many
times in apartments.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 9:22*pm, Michael B wrote:
[...]

again.- Hide quoted text -

Adding. YOu have to turn the toilet on its side to scrape off the old
wax ring. That will dump all the water in the trap. Best done
outside or do the turning in the bath tube then set on towels for the
scraping.

Also, wax-rings are about passe. I have switched to the "waxless
toilet seals". Simple, easy, can pull and replace the same toilet
without replacing the seal.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

Never do this!

If you do have a leak or have one in the future you may not find it
until the floor boards are rotted out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 7:52*am, Ned Flanders wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Musty Bathroom Odors Moonflower Home Repair 10 November 16th 06 08:50 AM
"Offensive odors: Getting rid of bad odors" [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 10th 05 06:32 PM
Pet odors David DeBoer Home Repair 13 March 21st 05 05:45 PM
Petroleum odors? ? ? Ray Home Repair 8 February 24th 05 03:02 PM
Blocking perfume odors in bathroom cabinets? Martin Home Repair 2 January 29th 04 04:18 AM