Paint-on repair coating for an old tarp

Old June 28th 11, 12:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair
fp

Default Paint-on repair coating for an old tarp

I have a very old tarp made of some sort of fabric which seems to be
coated with some rubber-like layer on one side. [The other side is a
once-shinier silver-gray color.] Due to making the mistake of always
folding the tarp up, cracks formed and have completely gone through
the rubber-like layer: light comes through those cracks. The tarp
stays together only because of the mesh of the fabric. [I use the tarp
to make an awning on a sunny balcony of my apartment.] [I now roll up
the tarp when I no longer need it as awning.]

Is there some kind of paint-on coating I can apply to the worn, rubber-
like side? What's it called and where is it bought?

Thanks
Old June 28th 11, 02:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/2011 7:03 PM, fp wrote:
I have a very old tarp made of some sort of fabric which seems to be
coated with some rubber-like layer on one side. [The other side is a
once-shinier silver-gray color.] Due to making the mistake of always
folding the tarp up, cracks formed and have completely gone through
the rubber-like layer: light comes through those cracks. The tarp
stays together only because of the mesh of the fabric. [I use the tarp
to make an awning on a sunny balcony of my apartment.] [I now roll up
the tarp when I no longer need it as awning.]

Is there some kind of paint-on coating I can apply to the worn, rubber-
like side? What's it called and where is it bought?

Thanks

Sounds like an old truck tarp or something. There is stuff available
(don't know where), but it would probably cost more than buying a new
lightweight tarp at Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, or wherever. Most
are blue or green, but they also exist in silver if you are looking for
opaque and reflective characteristics. And it will be lighter and much
easier to rig and take down than the old rubberized one. Stores in a lot
smaller space in the off-season as well.

Here is a link to the current Harbor Freight offerings:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=tarp

--
aem sends...

Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ?? Paul Oman Home Repair 0 March 24th 09 10:20 PM
Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ?? aemeijers Home Repair 1 March 24th 09 03:16 AM
Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ?? HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 0 March 24th 09 02:38 AM
Roof Paint/Coating? Harry Home Repair 2 May 16th 07 09:02 PM
Roof Paint/Coating? Harry Home Ownership 0 May 16th 07 04:29 PM