Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Table saw finger remover

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dbdblocker" wrote in message
.com...
They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

Thanks for posting this, but the Saw Stop and potential legislation issue
has been around for a few years.

I'm glad you have all your fingers, but many a sensible seasoned pro has
lost one on occasion. I has happened to the best so don't jinx yourself by
gloating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dbdblocker" wrote in message
.com...
They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

Hey, Mr. Knowitall. You forgot the keyword.

Yet.

But I guess it could never happen to a guy as smart as you.

Right?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

I haven't lost one, but stuck the tip of my index finger into the blade
30 yrs. ago. Tried to rip it down the middle. Took out about 1/4" long
slice of meat and bone. Doc at the emergency room pinched the rest of it
together and put in a few stitches. Kinda pointy and a combination of
numb and sensitive, with a misshapen nail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 00:10:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

So I wonder what the ratio is; how many table saws are out there.
Millions to hundreds of millions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:04:24 -0700, Steve B wrote:

"Dbdblocker" wrote in message
.com...
They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the
spinning blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is
going to work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device
on all table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost
$150. Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There
must be some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device
destroys the blade and motor shaft if activated.

Hey, Mr. Knowitall. You forgot the keyword.

Yet.

But I guess it could never happen to a guy as smart as you.

Right?

Steve

I don't see how "keep your fingers away from the blade" would not click
to them. It means at all costs! Not if you feel like it some days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Jun 2011 10:37:44 GMT, Dbdblocker wrote:

[...]

I must say your grammar and punctuation is quite good for someone so
young. By the time you're 12 or so, you might have made a mistake.
If you're lucky it won't involve machinery. If you're really
lucky, it will involve machinery but only damage some safety gear- or
only scratch deep enough to serve as a warning.

If you aren't that lucky- come on back and tell us how '**** happens'.

Jim
[got all my digits, and only minor scars-- but I'm human]
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dbdblocker" wrote

I don't see how "keep your fingers away from the blade" would not click
to them. It means at all costs! Not if you feel like it some days.

In spite of using care a piece of wood can cause kickback and it draws your
hand to the blade in milliseconds. Sometimes it is being tired, rushed, or
distracted. I wonder how many of those accidents are "just one more cut and
I'm done for the day".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:42:25 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

[...]

It has nothing to do with luck and superstition. Relying on religion
won't save your fingers. I don't care if you have 10 PhD's, if you stick
your finger in a saw blade you are an idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2011 7:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Dbdblocker" wrote

I don't see how "keep your fingers away from the blade" would not click
to them. It means at all costs! Not if you feel like it some days.

In spite of using care a piece of wood can cause kickback and it draws
your hand to the blade in milliseconds. Sometimes it is being tired,
rushed, or distracted. I wonder how many of those accidents are "just
one more cut and I'm done for the day".

I dare say a good part of them, with most of the rest being people who
watch a DIY show and run out and buy a saw, but never had an experienced
user watching over them and giving them a dope slap when they do
something dangerous. My father, and the master carpenters that worked
for him back in the day, were kind enough to teach me how to use a saw,
and they didn't mince words when I did it wrong. Gotta give Norm Abrams
credit- he always does the safety spiel, uses push sticks and feather
boards, etc.

(Side question- I haven't seen any fresh new Yankee Workshops lately,
and Norm barely appears on the other show any more- has he semi-retired
or something? I call him a machinist who happens to work in wood. Yes,
some of his projects are absurd for a DIY to attempt, and his tool
collection is worth more than my house, but he sure is fun to watch.)

I hope to have space and time and money to have a table saw again one
day, but it won't have a self-destruct mechanism like that. But then
again, I won't be doing production work, and I'm already to the point in
life where if I'm tired or hungry or ****ed off, I STOP doing
complicated stuff before I screw something up or hurt myself. There is
always another day to finish it. After enough expensive/painful 'aw
****' moments over the years, that lesson finally sank in.

I bet more people hurt themselves with circular saws, since there are
probably 1000x as many of those in use. Haven't seen any push to
idiot-proof them, beyond the orange buttons. Chain saws are another
hazardous tool that gets little attention- after the recent storm here,
there were at least a dozen folks (according to the local paper) that
hurt themselves seriously, cutting up downed trees. Right after the
storm, seems like all the guys with a chainsaw in the garage were
running out to get their streets open on their block. The ones with
nice shiny saws seemed a little unsure of themselves, and you could see
the old gray-hairs with the seriously used saws were having to keep an
eye on them.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2011 10:52 PM, Dbdblocker wrote:
They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

I have a friend whose dad took up woodworking when he retired. Nice,
smart guy who worked at a desk for many years but with NO experience
with tools....he promptly removed three fingers. And most people tempt
fate in some fashion now and then. An experienced supervisor in punch
press dept. where I worked nipped off the tip of a finger showing
someone how to do something....just a quarter inch off, I suppose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/19/2011 7:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Dbdblocker" wrote

I don't see how "keep your fingers away from the blade" would not click
to them. It means at all costs! Not if you feel like it some days.

In spite of using care a piece of wood can cause kickback and it draws
your hand to the blade in milliseconds. Sometimes it is being tired,
rushed, or distracted. I wonder how many of those accidents are "just
one more cut and I'm done for the day".

"Distracted" is my normal state ) Measure over again, but not using
power tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

I recall reviewing the types of injuries saws produce and there was a very
impressive number of people who used circular saws over their heads on a
ladder (sawing holes in ceilings, for instance) that lived to regret it and
quite a few that didn't. Live, that is.

Haven't seen any push to
idiot-proof them, beyond the orange buttons. Chain saws are another
hazardous tool that gets little attention- after the recent storm here,
there were at least a dozen folks (according to the local paper) that
hurt themselves seriously, cutting up downed trees. Right after the
storm, seems like all the guys with a chainsaw in the garage were
running out to get their streets open on their block. The ones with
nice shiny saws seemed a little unsure of themselves, and you could see
the old gray-hairs with the seriously used saws were having to keep an
eye on them.

The problem I've seen with naive chain saw users is they don't account for
what happens when the last little bit of material is gone and gravity or the
"springiness" of wood takes over. My favorite has to be the guys who cut
this huge 20' section of a 2' diameter oak tree. They had it tied to four
other trees quite thoroughly to prevent it from falling. When the final cut
was made this huge section of tree started jumping around like the ghost of
Paul Bunyan riding a pogo stick. The branches they had tied it to were
quite springy and it took quite a while for the bouncing around to stop.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

[...]

You're right about the jinx. In the infantry talk like that gets you
assigned to walking point - a lot - until you learn to keep from saying
things that might "call the shots in" on your fellow soldiers. Or until you
get shot or blown up. Either way puts an end to that jinx talk.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And the government control folks will say "but if just one
finger could be saved."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

In spite of using care a piece of wood can cause kickback
and it draws your
hand to the blade in milliseconds. Sometimes it is being
tired, rushed, or
distracted. I wonder how many of those accidents are "just
one more cut and
I'm done for the day".

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

Stay away from all tools,you are dangerous to other people,move to
Florida and play with the old ladies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

I must say your grammar and punctuation is quite good for someone so
young. By the time you're 12 or so, you might have made a mistake.
If you're lucky it won't involve machinery. If you're really
lucky, it will involve machinery but only damage some safety gear- or
only scratch deep enough to serve as a warning.

If you aren't that lucky- come on back and tell us how '**** happens'.

Jim
[got all my digits, and only minor scars-- but I'm human]

I am 62. I'm retired. In my life, I was a certified weldor, steel erection
contractor, certified commercial diver, OSHA certified crane operator, OSHA
certified rigger, OSHA certified lift truck (fork lift for the newbies)
operator, and lots of other things. I have worked overseas. I currently
have a large shop with lots of tools. I also have all my digits. So far.
But I do know that something can happen at any moment to change that.

And it mostly happens to those who think it can't happen to them.

You have a good day.

You may leave now.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I wonder how many of those accidents are "just one more cut and
I'm done for the day".

Statistics from ski slopes show that the highest % of accidents happen in
the last hour, many on "one last run."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dbdblocker wrote in
.com:

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws.
That's 10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the
spinning blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is
going to work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety
device on all table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee,
mine cost $150. Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my
fingers. There must be some real dummies out there. By the way, the
safety device destroys the blade and motor shaft if activated.

Fate let you keep all 10 fingers to remind you of your IQ.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

[...]

Let me clarify. I was responding to dingleblocker, not you, Jim.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dbdblocker wrote:
[...]

Think about it for a moment. There are about 300 million people in the US. So,
does one in 3 have a table saw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Dbdblocker wrote in
.com:

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws.
That's 10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the
spinning blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is
going to work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety
device on all table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee,
mine cost $150. Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my
fingers. There must be some real dummies out there. By the way, the
safety device destroys the blade and motor shaft if activated.

Fate let you keep all 10 fingers to remind you of your IQ.

Lots of years ago, in the high school shop class we had safety
posters, one was a guys thumb or finger that had been pulled off, laying
on a towel with the tendons still attached. Another said, "There are 12
companies that make glass eyes, ever wonder why?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dbdblocker" wrote in message
.com...

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

---------------------

I'm taking a cabinet making course at a college. My course is a learn as go
type coarse but during the day it's for full time students. About 80
students a day I'm told.

They have 7 table saws altogether and every single one of them has a saw
stop. At every table saw they mount all the saw accessories, jigs, sleds
tools, etc on 4 x 8 wall boards. What they also have mounted are the used
pieces of a saw stop that was activated. They mount the broken blade, the
saw stop unit and electrical components that saved the student from serious
damage.

The 8 foot panel saw has 4 such used saw stop units mounted. The remaining
6 saws only have 2 used saw stops on display, combined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Henchman wrote:
[...]

How many of the activations were "false alarms"?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

On 6/18/2011 10:52 PM, Dbdblocker wrote:
The federal gubberment is going to work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

BY THE WAY .... the SAWSTOP does NO SUCH THING .... there is absolutely
ZERO damage to the motor shaft, and only minimal (repairable) damage to
the blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

-snip-
Let me clarify. I was responding to dingleblocker, not you, Jim.

I knew dat. I dd read it twice, though.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

How many of the activations were "false alarms"?

--------------

Good question.

What I know is one was from wet wood that a student brought in without
teacher authorization. Wet wood CAN trip a saw stop. We are instructed in
that.

Since this lab was set-up about 12 ears ago, four students have had finger
damage I'm told. Therefore in total out of 6 saw stop activations, one is
definitely false alarm and 4 are from actual human contact although I have
no idea if it's serious enuf or not. The remaining one I do not know.

I was also told that nails can activate these saw stops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:07:21 -0400, The Henchman wrote:

[...]

Good thing they aren't training electricians.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:35:11 +0000, Red Green wrote:

Dbdblocker wrote in
.com:

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the
spinning blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is
going to work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device
on all table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost
$150. Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There
must be some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device
destroys the blade and motor shaft if activated.

Fate let you keep all 10 fingers to remind you of your IQ.

I guess that's all you need to keep your fingers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 9:50*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/18/2011 9:52 PM, Dbdblocker wrote:

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! *What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

Who is "THEY". *I doubt seriously if 4000 fingers have been chopped off
in the history of table saws total.

--
Steve Barker

I had a realtive who cut off 4 fingers years ago, and talked to
someone last week whos boss lost 5 just days before.

all tools can be dangerous

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:08:34 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Jun 20, 9:50Â*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/18/2011 9:52 PM, Dbdblocker wrote:

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! Â*What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

Who is "THEY". Â*I doubt seriously if 4000 fingers have been chopped off
in the history of table saws total.

--
Steve Barker

I had a realtive who cut off 4 fingers years ago, and talked to
someone last week whos boss lost 5 just days before.

all tools can be dangerous

Fingers are the most "expendable" body parts..
My stepmother lost 2 fingers just by wrapping the slippery anchor
line of a small boat around her hand.
Anchor was snagged and a wave lifted the boat.
Gotta watch them fingers.
I'm REAL careful with power saws.
Stupidest thing I've done so far is squeeze off a staple into
my middle finger. New stapler and I was just stupid and not thinking.
Both legs went all the way in so the thing was flush to the skin, but
missed the bone.
Think it was a 1/2".
Hardly hurt, but damn, it's a shock seeing your finger perfectly
stapled.
I spotted a pair of needle nose pliers on the bench, got a grip on the
middle of the staple, yelled loud, and jerked it straight out.
It's best to yell loud when you do that I think.
The whole thing was no more than about 10 seconds, and it hardly bled.
Gives me the chills thinking of a power saw getting me.
Gotta watch them fingers.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 6/18/2011 9:52 PM, Dbdblocker wrote:
They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must

be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

Who is "THEY". I doubt seriously if 4000 fingers have been chopped off
in the history of table saws total.

Just like the dubious estimates of how many citizens are murdered by illegal
aliens (something I've still not been able to find reasonable source data
for) the estimates of amputations are made on pretty small samples that are
scaled up to match the actual population figures:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...in-perspective

"The same effect occurs if the word "amputation" appears. In 2009 for
example, 117 reported cases were projected to arrive at an estimate of
4211 finger amputations. A look at the actual notes reveals that four
cases weren't table saws after all, and six were near amputations.
That's only ten instances, but ten out of 117 is 8.5 percent. The
projected numbers are weighted, so you can't simply multiply, but you
can safely say that the total number is overstated."

Overstated or not, a lot of people visit the ER daily for power tool
injuries of all kinds. Saws tend to do the most damage and they do it much
more quickly than drills and other types of equipment. Back when long hair
was popular, a buddy of mine knocked himself out with a router when his hair
curled around the bit and drew the router towards his head like a lightning
bolt. I would guess enough fingers are lost every year to make a Cheyenne
warrior very proud:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...ent=a917943233

("the article focuses on a particular trophy, a nineteenth century Cheyenne
finger necklace. Its history illustrates that trophy-taking was part of a
broader circulation of practices of war among native warriors and the
American military in the West.)

For those who aren't squeamish:

http://historygallery.com/prints/ind...rsnecklace.htm

I doubt they were removed by table saw. (-: For the victim's sake, I hope
they were removed post-mortem. You may ask what's that round thing on the
end? - and then wish you hadn't!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:09:56 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

wrote:

On Jun 20, 9:50Â*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/18/2011 9:52 PM, Dbdblocker wrote:

They say 4000 idiots a year saw their fingers off on table saws. That's
10 per day! Â*What is it about 'keep your fingers aways from the spinning
blade' that they do not understand? The federal gubberment is going to
work on a bill to require that new 'meat sensor' safety device on all
table saws. It will add $300 to $500 to the cost. Gee, mine cost $150.
Been using one for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. There must be
some real dummies out there. By the way, the safety device destroys the
blade and motor shaft if activated.

Who is "THEY". Â*I doubt seriously if 4000 fingers have been chopped off
in the history of table saws total.

--
Steve Barker

I had a realtive who cut off 4 fingers years ago, and talked to
someone last week whos boss lost 5 Â*just days before.

all tools can be dangerous

Fingers are the most "expendable" body parts..
My stepmother lost 2 fingers just by wrapping the slippery anchor
line of a small boat around her hand.
Anchor was snagged and a wave lifted the boat.
Gotta watch them fingers.
I'm REAL careful with power saws.
Stupidest thing I've done so far is squeeze off a staple into
my middle finger. Â*New stapler and I was just stupid and not thinking.
Both legs went all the way in so the thing was flush to the skin, but
missed the bone.
Think it was a 1/2".
Hardly hurt, but damn, it's a shock seeing your finger perfectly
stapled.
I spotted a pair of needle nose pliers on the bench, got a grip on the
middle of the staple, yelled loud, and jerked it straight out.
It's best to yell loud when you do that I think.
The whole thing was no more than about 10 seconds, and it hardly bled.
Gives me the chills thinking of a power saw getting me.
Gotta watch them fingers.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

Yell before pulling out, or during the pulling??

Think I started yelling as soon as I saw the staple in there.
Just yelled louder when jerking it out.
In case the finger made some noises I didn't want to hear.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote

Who is "THEY". I doubt seriously if 4000 fingers have been chopped off in
the history of table saws total.

Check out the chart on page 6 here

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...lesaw-injuries
According to a recent study published in the Journal of Trauma, a
professional journal for ER staff, roughly 31,400 people are treated in
emergency rooms every year for tablesaw injuries. This is based on ER
reports compiled from 1990 to 2007 and amazingly, that figure doesnt even
include folks who are injured on the job. Those statistics are kept separate
and arent included in the study.

As you might imagine, roughly 93 percent of those injuries were to the users
finger, thumb or another part of their hand. 66 percent of those injured had
lacerations while 10 percent had amputations. Other types of injuries
include soft-tissue injuries to the head, face and neck, presumably from
flying lumber or debris caused by kickback.

http://www.nclnet.org/health/99-safe...y-improvements
Did you know that each year, tens of thousands of people are brutally
injured by table saws €“ including 4,000 amputations €“ at a cost of more than
$2 billion a year to treat victims? The National Consumers League is calling
on the Consumer Product Safety Commission to implement safety changes that
would help keep this major public health threat at bay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Missed a link

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia11/os/statsaws.pdf

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2011 11:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote

[...]

Agreed, not everyone should own a table saw. Very few people actually
need them. I wonder if anyone has researched how many of the victims
just bought the damn thing, or only used it once a year or so? And of
course, how many were ever instructed properly on how to use them?

I also wonder how many injuries were with 'real' table saws, and how
many were with those tiny toys with the 18" square tables, that aren't
useful for much more than building bird houses. (Try ripping a sheet of
plywood on one of those tiny things, even with a helper.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I also wonder how many injuries were with 'real' table saws, and how
many were with those tiny toys with the 18" square tables, that aren't
useful for much more than building bird houses. (Try ripping a sheet of
plywood on one of those tiny things, even with a helper.)

When I was a kid I helped my dad with home improvement projects around
the house. He had the only table saw I was ever afraid of. It was a
circular saw that could be bolted to the bottom of a "table" that was a
sheet metal frame about 12" tall. We ran it out in the driveway. The
thing screamed and vibrated and rattled and I was sure it was going to
kill us both. I know for sure it didn't have any guards, and I don't
think it had a fence.

My dad's only phillips screwdriver had 3 teeth and a bent shaft, and he
built things with rusty old screws and bent nails that he "straightened"
by hammering them against the concrete. I bring this up to substantiate
my thought that the bearings in the saw hadn't seen any grease for 100
years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2011 10:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote

[...]

Yes, and all that is ASSUMING you BELIEVE all those reports. I don't.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2011 10:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Missed a link

No problem. I wasn't looking at them anyway.

HOME MADE TABLE SAW FINGER JOINT JIG J T Woodworking 5 June 17th 13 06:49 AM
Paint remover WW[_2_] Woodworking 1 February 24th 11 02:00 AM
CUTTING FINGER LAP JOINTS WITH THE TABLE SAW J T Woodworking 0 October 6th 06 10:02 PM
This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger. mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 176 March 11th 06 02:17 AM
The BEST Pet Stain Remover? Anyone? [email protected] Home Ownership 20 August 1st 05 05:28 AM