Reviving old NiCd batteries

Old June 17th 11, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reviving old NiCd batteries

I'm interested in experimenting with trying to revive some old NiCd
batteries by zapping them and I ran across this on YouTube. Good,
clear video about using two other good NiCd batteries to revive the
dead one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8hHLyXAyQ

Old June 17th 11, 03:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 10:04*am, RicodJour wrote:
I'm interested in experimenting with trying to revive some old NiCd
batteries by zapping them and I ran across this on YouTube. *Good,
clear video about using two other good NiCd batteries to revive the
dead one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8hHLyXAyQ

I wonder if it works how much more life you get out of them.
I saw this a while back when I had a driver/drill pack that went
bad. Finally decided that for $20 I could get new batteries on
Ebay and just rebuild it.
Old June 17th 11, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 9:58*am, "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 10:04*am, RicodJour wrote:

I'm interested in experimenting with trying to revive some old NiCd
batteries by zapping them and I ran across this on YouTube. *Good,
clear video about using two other good NiCd batteries to revive the
dead one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8hHLyXAyQ

I wonder if it works how much more life you get out of them.
I saw this a while back when I had a driver/drill pack that went
bad. * Finally decided that for $20 I could get new batteries on
Ebay and just rebuild it.

What the OP is talking about is using a low-impedance power source to
burn open the whiskers that sometimes form on older NICAD batteries,
especially when they are left unused and uncharged for long periods of
time. Once the cells start whiskering, they almost always are prone
for it to happen again, the best thing to prevent/stop this is to keep
them permanently on a trickle charger. I have some very old nicads,
perhaps 30+ years old, that I still use in some tools that I keep on
trickle chargers. I know I am using power to keep them charged, but
the convenience of always having the tools ready when I need them
outweighs the small cost. When they were new, they were very
expensive so that is another reason I hate to discard them.
Old June 17th 11, 07:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 3:04*pm, RicodJour wrote:
I'm interested in experimenting with trying to revive some old NiCd
batteries by zapping them and I ran across this on YouTube. *Good,
clear video about using two other good NiCd batteries to revive the
dead one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8hHLyXAyQ

A car battery is better. This is a kill or cure solution.
Whiskers of cadmium short out the battery plates.
The massive current blows the whiskers apart.
Good idea to wear gloves and eye protedtion for this trick, the Nicd
can explode
Old June 18th 11, 01:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 17, 11:35 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 9:58 am, "
wrote:

[...]

Actually I've read just the opposite. That leaving them completely
discharged is the best way to store them.

I wouldn't believe that for a moment.

Old June 18th 11, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:30:24 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I have also heard of people doing the same thing with a car battery
but the down side of that is that the battery pack can blow up if
there are to many internal shorts.

car batteries plates are consumed and fall apart after awhile, you
might get a shorted cell once in a great while but the vast majority
of car batteries plates just disengrate

I THINK he meant using a car battery to ZAP the NiCad.
Old June 18th 11, 02:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:09:12 -0700, "Bob F"

On Jun 17, 11:35 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 9:58 am, "
wrote:

[...]

According to Panasonic, storing NiCads should be between 10 and 30
degrees F, and charged at least once a year. Never store the battery
dead.
NiMh batteries are a different story and can be stored long-term
either dead or fully charged, According to both Sony and Duracell you
may need to "reactivate" them by charge cycling - long term storage
between -20 and +35 F, 50% RH.

DO NOT store dead with a load connected.
Old June 18th 11, 11:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 9:27*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:09:12 -0700, "Bob F"

On Jun 17, 11:35 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 9:58 am, "
wrote:

[...]

DO NOT store dead with a load connected.- Hide quoted text -

And here's some sources that say they should be stored
discharged:

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial-NiCad.html

" When preparing to store NiCad batteries, be sure to discharge the
batteries fairly deeply. The range in recommendations is between 40%
and 0% charged when going into storage. "

http://www.saftbatteries.com/SAFT/Up...ft/PDF/tn1.pdf

http://users.frii.com/dlc/battery.htm

Old June 18th 11, 02:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 5:22*am, "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 9:27*pm, wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:09:12 -0700, "Bob F"

On Jun 17, 11:35 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 17, 9:58 am, "
wrote:

[...]

http://users.frii.com/dlc/battery.htm- Hide quoted text -

I would trust Panasonic more than some web site
Old June 18th 11, 07:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have also heard of people doing the same thing with a car battery
but the down side of that is that the battery pack can blow up if
there are to many internal shorts.

car batteries plates are consumed and fall apart after awhile, you
might get a shorted cell once in a great while but the vast majority
of car batteries plates just disengrate

I was talking about using the car battery to fix the nicad

Sorry i miss toook what you said

But nicad cell wear out too, one failure must be shorted cell, but
nothing lasts forever

A local tool store had a big business going for awhile, apparently
zapping battery packs. Ther business ended as people lined up for
refunds....

reviving putty Jules Richardson UK diy 8 June 10th 11 11:14 AM
best charger for nicd and nimh batteries Fred UK diy 15 February 27th 10 06:23 PM
Exploded NiCd Batteries [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 January 24th 07 12:01 AM
How to check holdingcapacity of rechargeable NiCd batteries SISC Electronics Repair 3 July 21st 05 04:10 AM
NICD vs NIMH batteries [email protected] UK diy 12 January 28th 04 01:09 PM