Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reviving old NiCd batteries

On 6/23/2011 9:40 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:51:34 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/23/2011 9:14 AM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 01:00:26 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/22/2011 9:57 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:20:09 -0700,
wrote:

On 6/22/2011 2:27 PM,
wrote:

You will want an older xt/at style supply, not the newer ATX, if you
want it to be "simple"

The proper ATX supply is sufficiently simple. It should also have an
on-off switch, which some ATX supplies have.

1. The 3.3V sense wire (orange or brown) which will be connected to one
of the orange 3.3V power wires on the connector before the connector is
cut off (probably pin 11) needs to be reconnected to a +3.3V wire after
the ATX connector is cut off.

2. PS-ON (green, pin 14) needs to be connected to ground.

You are correct - it's not rocket science - but the old XT/AT supplies
were also significantly more reliable. LOTS of them still going strong
at 20 years of age, while the "average" ATX supply is toast in less
than 10 - many not lasting 2.

Yea, the original IBM PC made in America was built like a tank with high
quality components

That's why they were only rated for 5000 power-on-hours. ;-)

which is why the darn things cost 4-5 thousand
dollars back then. :-)

No, they cost 4-5 thousand dollars because they could. BTW, I paid $2500 for
mine. ;-)

Well, I think the MTBF was rated a bit low.

Sure, but that design point was needed to get the cost of the components down.
The same sort of parts were used in 100kPOH devices. The real difference was
testing.

I pick up those things, plug
them up and they run. For something 30+ years old that's not
too bad. Do you remember the original Lear 8 track tape players
and the units produced by Delco for GM? The construction was massive
and tough as nails.

I haven't plugged mine in for probably 20 years. I still have it, with an
expansion unit with a *huge* 10MB disk drive. ;-)

When the Asians started building them they made
them out of tin cans. :-)

Didn't know they made tin cans out of plastic. ;-)

I had a 5MB hard drive with the one I put together out of various parts
I came across. It was so much fun back then but in the mid 1960's, the
darn computers were too freaking big and expensive to play with. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:08:12 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/23/2011 9:40 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:51:34 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/23/2011 9:14 AM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 01:00:26 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/22/2011 9:57 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:20:09 -0700,
wrote:

On 6/22/2011 2:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Actually, they were cheaper then. I didn't even have to own one. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Well, I think the MTBF was rated a bit low. I pick up those things, plug
them up and they run. For something 30+ years old that's not
too bad. Do you remember the original Lear 8 track tape players
and the units produced by Delco for GM? The construction was massive
and tough as nails. When the Asians started building them they made
them out of tin cans. :-)

Don't underestimate the Asians. We shipped them the remains of NYC's Third
avenue elevated subway scrap iron that came back to haunt us as Mitsubishi
Zeros. Saw a great piece on "History Detectives" about how they traced an
engine rocker arm found on a private Hawiian island (must be nice!) with
english markings to one of the early zeros, circa 1941 from a Zero that
crashed there. Great story about how the downed pilot was able to terrorize
*most* of the islanders with his wing machine guns except for the guy that
rushed him and killed him.

I made a living for a while upgrading the original IBM PC's that came with
the huge full height floppies using the far inferior (but IBM logoed) PC JR
half heights that flooded the market when the junior went under.

Take out the full height, replace them with two half-heights and a 20MB
drive. Even learned how to copy the XT bios onto a blank (ssshhh - don't
tell IBM) because the clones did not come with BASIC. Still remember
writing my first BASICA program using the SOUND command. Up until then,
programs were something you punched onto cards that eventually spit out a
fan-fold printout and nothing more. What a kick to hear a computer make
sounds.

Then I started selling clones I built with the half-heights because people
didn't really know what a "clone" was. All they knew was that the diskette
drives said IBM in big letters. As long as it worked and I helped them load
and run their apps (DbaseII - which needed a memory upgrade - I used the AST
multifunction boards - to 256K!) they didn't care. They certainly got NO
support from Computerland once they walked out the door. Yes, multiple
counts of fraud and infringement, but the statute of limitations has long
since expired.

My original black IBM PC power supply crapped out quite early, but then
again I was running the absolutely dreadful CMI 20MB hard drives that taught
me early in life that a) you can't have too many backups and b) a backup
isn't a backup until you've been able to restore in correctly. In those
days bad floppy disks were the norm, not the exception. I remember throwing
away boxes of IBM branded 5.25" disks because they would not format 100%.
Those that *accidentally* managed a full format wouldn't hold data worth a
damn.

To keep back on topic, today I am recharging all the NiMH cells that I fully
recharged at the beginning of the year. My 4 cell LaCrosse charge has an
LCD display that reads out all important battery parameters. If I stick
them in the charger after 6 months and they are at 0 volts, off they go to
the trash. If they accept a charge well above their rated capacity, in the
trash they go. That process alone has increased overall battery reliability
incredibly. The wedding photogs I know swear by them. A hinky NiMH cell
can spell disaster if it causes them to miss a "money" shot.

Life's too short to "burn off whiskers" (when I tried that, the whiskers
soon grew back). I stopped when I had some explode - I charged them inside
an old .50 cal ammo box. The AAA's sound like .22's and the AA's sound like
..38's going off. Life's also too short to get caught flat-footed with a
battery that *should* have been thrown out but wasn't.

NiMH cells are enough of a problem when they're in tip-top shape, especially
in cameras. As someone else noted, they are most useful only hot from the
charger. Every hour they are out means a subtle drop in voltage that makes
a digicam read them as dead when they still have plenty of current left.

If I was dirt poor I'd probably push every milliamp second out of them but
I'm not, so high-ho, high-ho, in the trash they go. The LaCrosse charger
proved one thing - Ebay NiMH cells from China are HORRIBLY overrated. Those
marked 3000 are hardly 900 mAh.

I can't recommend the new chargers with individual cell readouts highly
enough. Expensive but worth every penny in culling the battery herd. Tells
you how much of a charge the battery has taken, has "recondition" modes,
etc.

La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger

I'd post a URL but all of them are 8 miles long and include ID numbers.
Someday Google will learn that people don't send URLs that are 100's of
characters long to other potential customers and yes, I know about TinyURL -
that still doesn't remove the tracking numbers that vendors like to stuff
into their URLs these days. Track this Google --!--

http://www.google.com/search?q=La+Cr...nology+BC-9009

OK - that works.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green posted for all of us...

[...]

I looked at the results and at the bottom of the page is one called
"meltdowns".

Just reporting an observation no scare tactics involved...

I am offering NO opinions but I don't pay much attention to "reviews" of
products. I think some posts are reimbursed but that is another topic.

--
Tekkie

reviving putty Jules Richardson UK diy 8 June 10th 11 12:14 PM
best charger for nicd and nimh batteries Fred UK diy 15 February 27th 10 07:23 PM
Exploded NiCd Batteries [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 January 24th 07 01:01 AM
How to check holdingcapacity of rechargeable NiCd batteries SISC Electronics Repair 3 July 21st 05 05:10 AM
NICD vs NIMH batteries [email protected] UK diy 12 January 28th 04 02:09 PM