Posted to alt.home.repair

Default question about hail

Hi,

I had some hail recently, which dented the ridge cap on the roof and
removed
some gravel from the shingles. I do not have any leaks. I looked in
the attic
and saw one spot where the 1x6's had been broken. One place had a
splintered
crack, and another had 12" piece about 1-2" wide knocked out, and you
could
see some black fabric [I assume the roofing felt] pushing through, but
upon close inspection
during a rain storm, there was no dripping. I went on top of the roof
and looked in that area,
and there was no hole in the shingles.

What could have caused that? Can the hail break the 1x6's and not
remove the shingle?
Or was that damage done by the roofer?

I was also wondering if it was ok to put dimensional shingles on top
of 3 tab shingles without a rip off
and replacing felt.

Thanks,

itchy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 2:13*pm, internaughtfull
wrote:
[...]

Were you present when the hail hit?

We get hail of the tiny "ouch that hurts" variety but nothing like the
golf or base or soft or bowling-ball sized that I've heard about.

Do you think that you got hail that was big enough to break a 1 x 6?

You asked "...or was that damage done by the roofer?". Did you have a
roofer doing work recently? What was (s)he doing?

In any case, I would make sure the shingles were supportted from
underneath. I wouldn't want shingles simple bridging a gap in the roof
sheathing. I think that that would be just asking for trouble,
especially for anyone walking on the roof.

One little mis-step could lead to one big mis-step.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/23/2011 1:13 PM, internaughtfull wrote:
Hi,

I had some hail recently, which dented the ridge cap on the roof and
removed
some gravel from the shingles. I do not have any leaks. I looked in
the attic
and saw one spot where the 1x6's had been broken. One place had a
splintered
crack, and another had 12" piece about 1-2" wide knocked out, and you
could
see some black fabric [I assume the roofing felt] pushing through, but
upon close inspection
during a rain storm, there was no dripping. I went on top of the roof
and looked in that area,
and there was no hole in the shingles.

What could have caused that? Can the hail break the 1x6's and not
remove the shingle?
Or was that damage done by the roofer?

I wouldn't say it would be impossible, but I think it highly unlikely
you could actually have broken 1x6 (open?) sheathing by hail and not
have gone through the roof at the same time. I'd vote that was more
likely previous damage.

After such an extreme hail event (and apparent other structural damage
as well) I'd not even consider a roof-over w/o a complete tearoff. Who
knows what else you would be covering up and just asking for early
failure by doing so.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/23/2011 1:49 PM, dpb wrote:

I wouldn't say it would be impossible, but I think it highly unlikely
you could actually have broken 1x6 (open?) sheathing by hail and not
have gone through the roof at the same time. I'd vote that was more
likely previous damage.

BTW, we're in one of those areas prone to large hail so I've certainly
seen severe enough hail to cause the damage; just that if there is
missing material there wouldn't have been support for the hailstone.

OTOH, if it is just a crack (and particularly if there were a know or
other weakness in the area already), I can certainly see that the
hailstone could make the break but rebound and not actually penetrate.

Again, I'd definitely _not_ do anything but a re-roof...what level of
damage does the adjustor give?

Posted to alt.home.repair

internaughtfull wrote the following:
Hi,

I had some hail recently, which dented the ridge cap on the roof and
removed
some gravel from the shingles. I do not have any leaks. I looked in
the attic
and saw one spot where the 1x6's had been broken. One place had a
splintered
crack, and another had 12" piece about 1-2" wide knocked out, and you
could
see some black fabric [I assume the roofing felt] pushing through, but
upon close inspection
during a rain storm, there was no dripping. I went on top of the roof
and looked in that area,
and there was no hole in the shingles.

That had to been some large and heavy hail to punch a hole in a 1x6
piece of wood. I could imagine some denting of an aluminum ridge vent
from smaller hail.
I would suspect that it was damage from some other source.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/23/2011 6:19 PM, willshak wrote:

That had to been some large and heavy hail to punch a hole in a 1x6
piece of wood....

Didn't say it punched hole thru, only it was broken (I think, no pictures).

But, while it is a large hail stone and (fortunately, not terribly
common), I've seen hail punch completely thru 3/4" ply, the roof and/or
trunk/hood of an automobile and other pretty amazing damage.

Take baseball to grapefruit size hail and put it w/ a 60-80 mph t-storm
wind and it'll wreak true havoc.

The last one like that here (SW KS) was in '04 or '05 -- it blew
strongly enough that hail shredded the siding on the Sonic drive-in
building 3 ft off the ground -- that much of a windblown angle under the
drivein canopies.

An empty apartment in the assisted living complex where mother was at
the time had picture window broken out (there were essentially _no_
surviving windows on either the east or north side of any building in
the entire northern 2/3-rds of town). Since was empty was no furniture
to stop it; it came in so nearly horizontal it made holes thru sheetrock
on west wall approx 8-ft away...

I've had an insurance adjuster was going over the damage to the church
with after that tell me he actually saw concrete sidewalks cracked in
one location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"internaughtfull" wrote in message
[...]

Hail within the same storm can be different diameters.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote the following:
On 5/23/2011 6:19 PM, willshak wrote:

That had to been some large and heavy hail to punch a hole in a 1x6
piece of wood....

Didn't say it punched hole thru, only it was broken (I think, no
pictures).

But, while it is a large hail stone and (fortunately, not terribly
common), I've seen hail punch completely thru 3/4" ply, the roof
and/or trunk/hood of an automobile and other pretty amazing damage.

Take baseball to grapefruit size hail and put it w/ a 60-80 mph
t-storm wind and it'll wreak true havoc.

That's why I said large and heavy. Here, baseball sized hail will dent
the hell out of any car's top, hood and trunk lid, and metal building
roofs, but will bounce off a shingled covered roof.
I still don't think just hail would crack 2 x 6 lumber under shingles.
Of course, if a hurricane or tornado was involved, that would exceed the
factor other than just gravity.
But, let's wait for the OP to tell us how big the hail was.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/23/2011 9:52 PM, willshak wrote:

I still don't think just hail would crack 2 x 6 lumber under shingles.

Isn't tuba, it's 1x. And, if there were knot or other structural defect
already, it's surely not out of question to break.

As noted, I've personally seen it go clean thru 3/4" ply and leave clean
holes...cracking a 1x ain't much different.

But, again, sure, depends on the actual hail and the storm as well as
the condition of the roof to begin with...

All I'm sayin' is I can believe it could be from the hail not that it
definitely was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote the following:
On 5/23/2011 9:52 PM, willshak wrote:

I still don't think just hail would crack 2 x 6 lumber under shingles.

Isn't tuba, it's 1x.

Yes, I read that, but just wrote tuba by mistake.
I have 4x8 3/4 plywood under my roof shingles.
We've had small meteorites go through 3/4 plywood roofs, but not hail.
I have an electronic shield over my roof, so I'm impervious. :-)

And, if there were knot or other structural defect already, it's
surely not out of question to break.

As noted, I've personally seen it go clean thru 3/4" ply and leave
clean holes...cracking a 1x ain't much different.

But, again, sure, depends on the actual hail and the storm as well as
the condition of the roof to begin with...

All I'm sayin' is I can believe it could be from the hail not that it
definitely was.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 10:52*pm, willshak wrote:
dpb wrote the following:

[...]

I think whether or not a baseball sized hailstone could crack
a 1x6 piece of roof sheathing without punching a hole through
the shingles or felt paper of the roof has more to do with the
condition of said board before the hailstone hit it...

If it was old and dried out and ready to crumble all on its own
the impact could have splintered it without damaging the rest
of the roof...

Sort of like how if you have de-mineralized bones, you
might suffer a broken bone because of a fall or a punch
when someone with stronger bones would not experience
the same result...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote the following:

On 5/23/2011 6:19 PM, willshak wrote:

That had to been some large and heavy hail to punch a hole in a 1x6
piece of wood....

Didn't say it punched hole thru, only it was broken (I think, no
pictures).

But, while it is a large hail stone and (fortunately, not terribly
common), I've seen hail punch completely thru 3/4" ply, the roof
and/or trunk/hood of an automobile and other pretty amazing damage.

Take baseball to grapefruit size hail and put it w/ a 60-80 mph
t-storm wind and it'll wreak true havoc.

The hail varied in size, with the largest I found being racquet ball
size, inbetween golf ball and tennis ball. Totaled my car, broke the
chimney cap, ruined the ridge cap, but the shingles do not look that
bad, even though
they are not the dimensional type, just regular 3 tab algae resistant
shingles, 7 years old.

I will definitely go for a complete roof and attic inspection and get
the
tear off, plus ask about the plywood over the 1x6's whenever a roofer
can actually get out here. Thanks for all the feedback,

itchy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:37:34 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
We get hail of the tiny "ouch that hurts" variety but nothing like the
golf or base or soft or bowling-ball sized that I've heard about.

We got golfball-sized hail a couple of weeks ago - something I'd heard
about but always kind of dismissed as being exaggeration.

I couldn't find any obvious damage to anything afterwards, though, so I
suspect that the 1x6" damage that the OP has is unrelated and possibly
due to their house settling or the frame warping due to seasonal changes.

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/24/2011 8:22 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:37:34 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
We get hail of the tiny "ouch that hurts" variety but nothing like the
golf or base or soft or bowling-ball sized that I've heard about.

We got golfball-sized hail a couple of weeks ago - something I'd heard
about but always kind of dismissed as being exaggeration.

I can assure you that baseball and larger to the grapefruit size is well
within the range of the possible...serious t-storm country will generate
some mammoth stones in the general area on average of every couple of
years or so. Out here (W KS) golfball-sized will occur somewhere in the
area several times every year; it's just part of "normal" spring/early
summer weather patterns. Although this year the bulk of the severe
weather seems to have shifted to the SE; we're in the far SW corner and
haven't yet had a single t-storm this year. We're in severe/extreme
drought and just missed yet another good chance yesterday for any
precipitation of any kind--we're to the point we'd even take the hail;
it'll melt and there's no wheat of any consequence left and the corn
isn't large enough to matter (what irrigated that has been planted; many
haven't tried 'cuz would take so much water w/ no rain wouldn't pay) and
there's no dryland corn or milo even been planted yet. We've had barely
over an 1.5" since last August and it's even drier on west...
Meanwhile, same ol' places keep getting drowned time after time.
Brother's place in Joplin missed by a little less than a mile Sunday;
niece's house flattened by large tree and one wall out plus all the
glass but they're ok...haven't been able to get thru since yesterday AM
on either land or cell lines to follow up.

I couldn't find any obvious damage to anything afterwards, though, so I
suspect that the 1x6" damage that the OP has is unrelated and possibly
due to their house settling or the frame warping due to seasonal changes.

Generally a good inspector/adjustor will see stuff the average homeowner
won't. It also depends on how much hail actually falls of course--a few
large stones won't leave a lot of damage even though they're big; cover
the ground w/ them 6" deep or more and it's a whole different story.

Again, it's unlikely the break was hail alone if the material was sound
to begin with; I'd still not rule it out entirely if there were existing
flaws but the size OP indicated in the followup isn't mammoth so major
structural damage is indeed unlikely. But, nothing says there wasn't
one humongous stone amongst the others, either...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/24/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:
I can assure you that baseball and larger to the grapefruit size is well
within the range of the possible...

There are a zillion images/stuff on the web; a useful reliable
compendium of severe events for the not-faint-at-heart in looking at
data is at

http://explore.data.gov/Geography-and-Environment/Database-of-Tornado-Large-Hail-and-Damaging-Wind-R/8ga4-p9kg

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 23, 2:13 pm,
wrote:
[...]

What type of house? Age of the house? Hail stones usually cause
surface/cosmetic damages not structural. I believe what you see in the
attic is not related to hail storm. I live in the fringe area of a known
hail band. Insurance cos. spend millions seeding the cloud to prevent
major hail storm every year. Living here for 40 years, I had one cracked
skylight by hai; stone which insurance took care of.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang:
Hi,
What type of house? Age of the house? Hail stones usually cause
surface/cosmetic damages not structural. *I believe what you see in the
attic is not related to hail storm. I live in the fringe area of a known
hail band. Insurance cos. spend millions seeding the cloud to prevent
major hail storm every year.

It's a brick 67 rancher, not a steep pitch, with lots of
surface area for hail to bounce off of. The suggestion that it might
be the house settling, plus some hail pressure seems plausible. Cloud
seeding? Maybe they can figure out some anti-tornado dust .

itchy

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/23/2011 11:03 PM, willshak wrote:

We've had small meteorites go through 3/4 plywood roofs, but not hail.
I have an electronic shield over my roof, so I'm impervious. :-)

W/ all the weather we have out here, the last meteor of size to do
anything notable was estimated at 20,000 years ago. It, otoh, left
a debris field folks have dug something like a known 6/7 tons of
material out of since first piece was discovered around 1900...

The electronic shield is only good for helicopters, no?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/24/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/24/2011 8:22 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:37:34 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
We get hail of the tiny "ouch that hurts" variety but nothing like the
golf or base or soft or bowling-ball sized that I've heard about.

We got golfball-sized hail a couple of weeks ago - something I'd heard
about but always kind of dismissed as being exaggeration.

I can assure you that baseball and larger to the grapefruit size is well
within the range of the possible...serious t-storm country will generate
some mammoth stones in the general area on average of every couple of
years or so. Out here (W KS) golfball-sized will occur somewhere in the
area several times every year; it's just part of "normal" spring/early
summer weather patterns....

Reported yesterday of 4.25" in three locations all within roughly 100 mi
of our location. Numerous of from inch to 2-3".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 6:53*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:13:21 -0700 (PDT), internaughtfull

wrote:
[...]

Did you ever look at these boards in the attic before the hail? *Thay
may already have been broken from when the shingles were nailed on.
That happens. *The haild would have been pretty large to bust a 1x6.

I'd get pieces of 1x6 to fit between the rafters, apply construction
adhesive, and use drywall screws that WILL NOT go thru both boards and
make holes in shingles. *Apply the glue and screws to support these
boards. *

Go on roof, use tar on anything that looks like it might have a hole.
I'd not worry about ridge cap as long as it's doing it's job. *No one
is going to see the dents except roofers and you. *If anything paint
it a dark color and it will be less obvious. *I'm assuming it's metal.- Hide quoted text -

If you are repairing a hole in a shingle with tar, don't try to smear
the tar on top. It'll just make a mess.

Instead, carefully lift the tab and apply a glob of tar to the shingle
underneath the one with the hole, right where the hole will "land".
When you press the offending shingle back down, the tar will fill the
hole and seal it.

If you think you'll need it, apply a few daps of tar along along the
sealer strip to make sure the shingle seals back down again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:13*pm, dpb wrote:
On 5/24/2011 8:52 AM, dpb wrote:

[...]

I live in western NY where we get "normal" sized hail - tiny. I was in
Ohio and saw a truck from Texas that was as dimpled as a golf ball. I
asked the driver what happened and he said "Hail".

So, in places like West Kansas and wherever dpb lives - places where
large hail is "just part of normal spring/early summer weather
patterns" - are all the cars dented?

If not, why not?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/25/2011 12:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So, in places like West Kansas and wherever dpb lives - places where
large hail is "just part of normal spring/early summer weather
patterns" - are all the cars dented?

"dpb" is located in SW KS...

If not, why not?

Not "all", no. In a location that gets a big 'un, there will certainly
be a high number that are severely damaged, of course.

But, primarily, not all because those three locations yesterday covered
an area of only a few square miles and much of it was in relatively
sparsely populated (farm) country. The population centers out here are
relatively small and so on an area basis the odds are pretty good that
the really severe stuff won't be in an area that does have the high
number of vehicles to get clobbered.

Secondly, there's a whole industry that moves around from storm area to
the next and does repair. The new "paintless" repair process can do
pretty remarkable job even on stuff that looks irreparable. Not car
show smooth, but good enough it'll pass the general muster w/o being
obvious. Most folks w/ newer vehicles will get them repaired; really
old or work vehicles often will sport trophies and/or scars from several
events occurred thru their lifetimes. Occasionally folks will take the
"opportunity" to cash in and get a new vehicle and if damage on an old
is very extensive or it's not a very new vehicle, it'll just go straight
to auction or salvage. So the population of hailed-on vehicles gets
turned over.

Dealers that get caught w/ a large inventory on a lot can suffer a lot,
obviously. That'll happen probably once or twice a year in some
location; often Wichita or Hutchinson or Salina being larger metro areas
will have an instance.

We were caught in town a few years ago during the "big 'un" I described
upthread at the college at a performance. We knew a serious t-storm was
moving in from radio reports(1) (it was coming from the NE which is a
generally ominous portent for really severe weather out here) so I
parked the car (Mom's '97 LeSabre) against the west edge of the press
box of the baseball stadium which was high and pretty well constructed.
That kept the brunt of the wind-driven of it and saved broken glass
but it wore some good-sized dents and did break one mirror support and a
wiper arm. But, when they were done unless you'd known to look or knew
just where to look against the light, it wasn't noticeable at all.

As noted, the dealerships in town had some serious clearance sales on
both new and used vehicles afterwards on that occasion.

(1) Of course, if we had known just how bad it was going to be (and that
they would lose power just about halfway thru the first act so show
would be canceled anyway) we would have gone back home and put the car
in the garage. Turns out the hail track of that storm traveled about 2
mi N of our place which is on S edge of town a few miles east. We only
had some strong wind and a nice rain and from the looks of it by the
leave shredding/pieces on trees and the corn in the morning a moderate
amount of roughly pea-sized hail.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/25/2011 12:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I live in western NY where we get "normal" sized hail - tiny....

In comparison...

When finished uni, first job was in Lynchburg, VA, then were in E TN
(Oak Ridge) area for over 20 before returning to family farm.

While there were a few instances of serious weather in that time while
there (a small tornado in Loudon County, TN killed a couple folks 'cuz
nobody there could imagine such a thing and took little or no heed of
warnings, primarily) and one serious hail event in Clinton, I was
continually amazed at how benign the weather was.

Saw some of the most tremendous lightning shows ever and lots of SLCs
(1), but rarely was there any t-storm that I would have called even
moderate in severity, what more severe. Headlines were made if wind
gusts reached 45 mph (while we're having sustained winds today of 30-45
mph and gusts 50+ since midnight last night not expected to abate until
after 8PM) whereas we would think that would be pretty tame.

Of course, with all the trees and that there was so little heavy wind to
keep things culled, the amount of damage done by those was inordinate to
the severity. Here, the continual winds mean the utility lines have to
be much more stout and well-maintained to prevent inordinate number of
outages and the lack of moisture means there are trees only where
they've been planted and watered around farmsteads or in towns (other
than the stray cedars and wayward cottonwoods hither and yon but nothing
like the forest and thick growth back there).

(1) Scary-looking clouds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 2:37*pm, dpb wrote:
[...]

It's all your fault!

My local forecast:

"Scattered thunderstorms during the morning becoming more widespread
and possibly severe this afternoon.

Storms may produce large hail and strong winds.

High 82F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%."

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/26/2011 8:05 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's all your fault!

Chuckles...

My local forecast:

"Scattered thunderstorms during the morning becoming more widespread
and possibly severe this afternoon.

Storms may produce large hail and strong winds.

High 82F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%."

I'd take it...as noted the western portions of the High Plains are in
severe to extreme drought. I just did the following in an e-mail w/ an
aunt back in Wichita where it is only a little below their
normals--since last August. These are totals from the airport
monitoring station in town about 10 mi west of us except for some motes
I've made comparing my notes for here at the house...

Aug 1.18" (16th - 1.01" ) We got ~1.30 on the 16th at the house
Sep 0.07
Oct 0.15
Nov 0.43
Dec 0.01
Jan 0.01
Feb 0.00
Mar 0.25 (estimated; they have 4.81" on Mar 3 but that is snow depth if
not total aberration; the calendar day shows sun for the day)
Apr 0.60 We got the 0.20 and 0.70 on two Sun/Mon I mentioned
May 0.11 Don't believe we had quite that much--just sprinkles

Yesterday's wind specs...

Wind Speed 35 mph (NNW)
Max Wind Speed 45 mph
Max Gust Speed 54 mph

Lowest sustained wind speed from 00:00 AM until 8PM was 29 at 00:15 and
19:55 recordings w/ a short lull of about 28-30mph between 4-5AM; after
8PM it rapidly dropped to near calm finally as the low moved off east.

While somewhat extreme even for us we get such strong winds pretty much
routinely ahead of and behind each front; generally first from the S
then as the low progresses back from the N on the back edge. What we
hope for is enough period of S/SE wind to bring up gulf moisture to be
in place so when the front actually arrives it has some moisture to work
with and hopefully set off some t-storms which is our general mechanism
for rain as opposed to the general area-wide rains that are much more
prevalent back there.

Unfortunately, this last year has produced almost nothing in the way of
moisture events along the whole stretch from roughly the western third
of NE/KS/OK/TX and on into eastern sections of NM/CO/NE panhandle w/ the
exception that finally within the last couple of weeks there has been
activity in NE CO spilling some over into NE KS/SW NE. But, that's
remained well north of us in the SW corner.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_highplains.htm
http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_west.htm

We're in that narrow band of "extreme" on the edge of "exceptional" in
the SW corner of KS. While it shows extreme conditions on farther east
in KS, one must remember that their averages are 2x or more those of the
farther west and the indices are relative to averages for the areas.
So, if we had had what they have had we could well be near normal while
they're showing a world of hurt, comparatively.

Needless to say, farming ain't goin' too well for the dryland folks and
even irrigated guys simply don't have the water it would take to really
make a crop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

SNIP previously quoted stuff

I live in western NY where we get "normal" sized hail - tiny. I was in
Ohio and saw a truck from Texas that was as dimpled as a golf ball. I
asked the driver what happened and he said "Hail".

Most of western NY occaisionally gets supercell thunderstorms intense
enough to drop hail of pingpong ball to golfball size. Even if only once
a century - that does happen.

Even the Philadelphia area has reports of hail of pingpong ball to
golfball size in one or a few localities every several years.

So, in places like West Kansas and wherever dpb lives - places where
large hail is "just part of normal spring/early summer weather
patterns" - are all the cars dented?

If not, why not?

--
- Don Klipstein )