Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermoplastic Blades

I got a new cutting head for my Stilh line cutter (weed whip). It has
three plastic blades instead of the plastic line and works great. The
kid down the street has been doing some yard work for us and he used
it to cut high weeds and small saplings in an area we want cleared. I
think the saplings might have been a bit much as the blades looked
fairly worn when he was done.

Having purchased replacement blades, I got them out and noticed on the
package that they suggest storing the blades in water for longer life.
Does anyone do this? Does it make a noticable difference? I figure the
Stihl people wouldn't print it on the package in a dozen different
languages as a joke, but it still sounds weird.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 3:32*pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

I got a new cutting head for my Stilh line cutter (weed whip). It has
three plastic blades instead of the plastic line and works great. The
kid down the street has been doing some yard work for us and he used
it to cut high weeds and small saplings in an area we want cleared. I
think the saplings might have been a bit much as the blades looked
fairly worn when he was done.

Having purchased replacement blades, I got them out and noticed on the
package that they suggest storing the blades in water for longer life.
Does anyone do this? Does it make a noticable difference? I figure the
Stihl people wouldn't print it on the package in a dozen different
languages as a joke, but it still sounds weird.

Paul

Got a link from Stihl?

I googled the subject but only got the suggestion that storing in
water is recommended. Nothing on the chemical or physical reactions
that occur or are prevented from occuring in the water storage. I was
curious to see if anyone on this group had run across this and had an
opinion. Frequently, when you pose a question here, you get a dozen
people giving their views and experiences with the subject. Maybe when
everyone gets done with the holiday barbeque we'll get some opinions.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I got a new cutting head for my Stilh line cutter (weed whip). It has
three plastic blades instead of the plastic line and works great. The
kid down the street has been doing some yard work for us and he used
it to cut high weeds and small saplings in an area we want cleared. I
think the saplings might have been a bit much as the blades looked
fairly worn when he was done.

Having purchased replacement blades, I got them out and noticed on the
package that they suggest storing the blades in water for longer life.
Does anyone do this? Does it make a noticable difference? I figure the
Stihl people wouldn't print it on the package in a dozen different
languages as a joke, but it still sounds weird.

Paul

Never heard that. Could be that storing in water protects the plastic from
ozone damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a DR trimmer which uses heavy duty nylon cords. They recommend
storing the cords in a moist container to prevent them from breaking.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I did too to no avail.
The only thing I can think of is that if blades are nylon, the water
would keep them hydrated and modulus or stiffness would be less:

http://www.spiralbrushes.com/nylon.html

which might make them less brittle.

What saw blades do you use? SBH[_4_] Woodworking 27 January 5th 10 05:15 AM
Thermoplastic/Torch/Mop? Michael Roback Home Repair 3 November 24th 08 01:11 AM
Saw blades Weatherlawyer UK diy 3 October 1st 06 09:10 PM
Cut off blades Steve B Metalworking 3 December 22nd 05 06:57 PM
Source of old thermoplastic tiles in West Midlands Moonshine UK diy 5 July 11th 04 06:14 PM