Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good Mailbox Paint

After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one of
those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...2884670&sr=8-1

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of epoxy?

Thanks

Walter
--
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...Locking-Mailbo...

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of epoxy?

Thanks

Walter
--www.rationality.net

Hammerite?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 1:25*pm, harry wrote:
On Apr 15, 5:28*pm, "walter" wrote:

After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one of
those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...Locking-Mailbo...

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of epoxy?

Hammerite?

That was my thinking as well. It's tough stuff, easy to repair and
gives a nice textured finish...which is why it's easy to repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:28:31 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one of
those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...2884670&sr=8-1

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of
epoxy?

Thanks

Walter

If it's locked, how does the postal worker get the mail into it?
I never heard of a locked mailbox.

And locking it is no guarantee of mail safety. They'll just steal the
whole mailbox. I live in a rural area and every few years some kids
go around with baseball bats and smash mailboxes. It has not happened
since the sheriffs caught them though about 2 years ago. But there
will probably be others.......

My biggest problem is that the mailman cant shut the door tight on my
box and then it rains and I got soaked mail. I've complained to the
post office at least 5 times, and they always claim there's something
wrong with my box. Yea, right.... it shuts just fine for me.

These mailboxes have two compartments. The upper one is for the mailman to
drop the mail in. The mail then drops into the lower compartment via a
chute, where it can be retrieved by the owner by means of a key to the lower
compartment. The chute prevents someone else from removing the mail through
the top compartment (unlocked!)

Well, yes, I had my mail box stolen and vandalized, too. The sheriff found
it and I retrieved it from him. Since then I am bolting down my mailbox with
heavy lag screws. Seems to work. A heavy steel fence post next to the box
prevents kids from bashing it while driving by.

Sometimes I wonder about the state of the world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it gets much worse, some country folks will end up
setting up guard towers, and snipers. Wait till we need tilt
sensors on cow collars, with GPS, as teens are doing a crime
wave of cow tipping.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"walter" wrote in message

Well, yes, I had my mail box stolen and vandalized, too. The
sheriff found
it and I retrieved it from him. Since then I am bolting down
my mailbox with
heavy lag screws. Seems to work. A heavy steel fence post
next to the box
prevents kids from bashing it while driving by.

Sometimes I wonder about the state of the world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had good luck with Krylon brand spray paint. Put on a
very gentle coat, and then a couple hours another coat. If
you try to do it all at once, the paint sags and drips. I
never have had enough patience.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"walter" wrote in message
After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I
bought one of
those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...2884670&sr=8-1

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray.
What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some
kind of epoxy?

Thanks

Walter
--
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2011 7:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
If it gets much worse, some country folks will end up
setting up guard towers, and snipers. Wait till we need tilt
sensors on cow collars, with GPS, as teens are doing a crime
wave of cow tipping.

On a rural road near here, one 'gentleman farmer' (not sure if he
actually works the fields that surround the house), actually has his
mailbox inside an open cube of welded square steel stock, with about a
foot of air space around the box itself. No way for the kids to a
drive-by baseball practice on that one, not without getting a broken
wrist. Laughed like hell first time I saw it- growing up in a small
town, I knew exactly what was going on. I never damaged any mailboxes
myself, of course, but saw plenty of them on the rural 2-laners as I did
my teenage wandering when first licensed.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 9:35*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

I put my moms mailbox on a H steel beam after too many people drove
over it. The beam was 3 feet above ground and 5 feet below. The box
was still exposed to baseball bats, but no one messed with it after
that.

one day someone hit the box which stuck out a little but just missed
the pole beam. it would of totaled their vehicle. the box was found 20
feet away, a nearby tree got hit too, but survived with scars.

I was REALLY tired of replacing that pole..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2011 7:49 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:35 pm, wrote:
[...]

For the sake of any newbies on here that didn't see the last dozen times
we discussed this- most jurisdictions get rather unhappy if you put
anything TOO solid in the right-of-way strip by the road, lest it make
an otherwise survivable accident a fatal one. Plus, of course, it makes
it a lot more expensive to repair the snowplow when it runs over it.

I'm still using the dry-rotted 4x4 prefab post that came with the house,
that apparently fits into a metal socket thing buried/planted in the
ground. The door has fallen off a couple times from the hinge rivets
rusting away, but vise-grips and a pop rivet fixed that. I should
replace it, but until a car or plow hits it, or it falls over, there are
a lot of things higher on the list. This is an actual subdivision with
lots of dogs, so I'm not too worried about casual vandalism like if I
lived on one of the mile-grid 2-laners.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2011 9:35 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 4/15/2011 7:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
If it gets much worse, some country folks will end up
setting up guard towers, and snipers. Wait till we need tilt
sensors on cow collars, with GPS, as teens are doing a crime
wave of cow tipping.

On a rural road near here, one 'gentleman farmer' (not sure if he
actually works the fields that surround the house), actually has his
mailbox inside an open cube of welded square steel stock, with about a
foot of air space around the box itself. No way for the kids to a
drive-by baseball practice on that one, not without getting a broken
wrist. Laughed like hell first time I saw it- growing up in a small
town, I knew exactly what was going on. I never damaged any mailboxes
myself, of course, but saw plenty of them on the rural 2-laners as I did
my teenage wandering when first licensed.

Unfortunately there are lawyers.

My friend also a "gentleman farmer" got tired of his mailbox being
destroyed so he erected a more substantial version. Some kids got hurt
while damaging the personal property of others and some lawyer with his
picture on billboards rushed to their aid and sued my friend. His
homeowners insurance paid out ~ $100,000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have been tempted to go break some glass on the lawyer's
office, trip and fall, and then sue for damages.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George"
wrote in message ...

Unfortunately there are lawyers.

My friend also a "gentleman farmer" got tired of his mailbox
being
destroyed so he erected a more substantial version. Some
kids got hurt
while damaging the personal property of others and some
lawyer with his
picture on billboards rushed to their aid and sued my
friend. His
homeowners insurance paid out ~ $100,000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 15, 5:28 pm, "walter" wrote:
After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one of
those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...Locking-Mailbo...

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of
epoxy?

Thanks

Walter
--www.rationality.net

Hammerite?

We bought a house in Plano, TX in 1969. I painted the mail box with a red
and white striped pattern, using masking tape to separate the colors. We
sold the house in 1973 when we got transferred. In 1989, almost 20 years
later, I drove by that house and the same mail box with the same striping
was still there with almost the same colors. I had used cheap spray paint
to paint it.

So don't worry, use what you like, maybe it will last a long time, maybe
not. Not a big deal.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 9:03*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd have been tempted to go break some glass on the lawyer's
office, trip and fall, and then sue for damages.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"George"
wrote in ...

Unfortunately there are lawyers.

My friend also a "gentleman farmer" got tired of his mailbox
being destroyed so he erected a more substantial version.
Some kids got hurt while damaging the personal property
of others and some lawyer with his picture on billboards
rushed to their aid and sued my friend. His homeowners
insurance paid out ~ $100,000.

Ah, but you see Stormin, the glass you would have broken
was not designed and installed with the intention to injure
you when you broke it... These redneck reinforced mailboxes
are designed and installed with the specific intent to cause
harm to anyone who vandalizes them after they are installed...

That is an actionable tort... He/his insurers got off easy with
$100,000 worth of payoff, that would be $33,000-ish for the
lawyer and $67,000 left to pay for medical bills... It wasn't
a "lottery-sweepstakes" winning by any means...

People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The letter carrier assigned your route will not fuss with your box...

It shuts just fine for you, but you only have to use that one box
once per day, six days per week... It is unrealistic to expect
your carrier to remember the trick to close your box when it is
one of thousands along their route...

If getting wet mail is that much of a problem for you, construct
a small roof which is larger than the mailbox and protects the
contents from rail or whatever even when the door is slightly
opened and then hang the mailbox from that roof...

Gee, I mean you are the one with the problem here -- not the
post office... The letter carriers are expected to receive giant
carts of mail inside the post office, sort it all so it can be
delivered, then deliver it along the route and now you want
them to remember how to close your box tightly and properly?

ROFL... How much do you want to pay for postage man?

Or maybe you think that only half the people should get
their mail in a day because it takes twice as long to close
each mailbox properly because of a few customers with
hairs across their ass like yourself... Workday is only
8 hours long man...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You do that, you won't get your mail. It has to be within arm's length
of the edge of the paved or graveled/maintained road shoulder, so the
USPS person can reach it.

Look up the old threads- there are all sorts of solutions. I kinda like
the box on a pivoting arm. It can be dirt simple- cantilever the box 3-4
feet in front of the post. Post is a big pipe over a little pipe, with a
breakaway wood dowel pin to keep the wind from spinning it. But if a kid
or snowplow tags the box, the wood pin breaks, and the box swings out of
the way. I'd probably still have the welder that makes the post put a
couple of decorative roll bars around the mounting point for the box
itself- modern metal boxes are so flimsy you can dent them by leaning on
them.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Evan wrote:

People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

I imagine the letter carriers would enjoy getting out of the vehicle to
stuff the box, too. Tell 'em it's for, uh, DVT prevention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 15, 12:28*pm, "walter" wrote:
After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one of
those big lockable boxes:

http://www.amazon.com/Architectural-...Locking-Mailbo...

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of
paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of epoxy?

Thanks

Walter
--www.rationality.net

I use acrylic enamel automotive paint on mine. Paint it about every 10
years. Nothing fancy just a spray can bought at AutoZone. Sounds like
you have about the same problem my father in law had. He fabricated a
mailbox to look like the old ones from 3/16 sheet steel. It was
learned that a couple of guys had been bashing mail boxes from the
back of a pickup with a piece of rebar. They know this because the guy
using the rebar was found in front of my in laws home with broken arm
and leg and the rebar wrapped around the mail box.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message

stuff snipped

People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

If a vandal with a bat can't reach it, I'm guessing the mailman would have a
hard time getting to it as well.

The only way to deal with mailbox smashers is a good enough video or
photographic surveillance system to catch them in the act. Once you get
even a fairly fuzzy picture, someone will recognize them, especially if you
can get in published in the local news. If they're bustin' your box,
they're problem doing it to your neighbors, too. If it's the sheriff's or
some big-wig's son, well then you still might be stuck. (-: There's always
another route to justice:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0972883/ "Red"

"An older, reclusive man's best friend is his dog RED. When three teens kill
his dog for no reason, the man sets out for justice and redemption within
whatever means possible, legal or otherwise."

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

tthe post office has a arms length from curb with driver sitting in
seat. one guy who repaced 10 mailboxes moved it 10 feet from the
curb, while he was discussing it with the post office, they refused to
deliver..... someone drove up in his yard and took it out again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 6:22*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Evan" wrote in message

stuff snipped

People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

If a vandal with a bat can't reach it, I'm guessing the mailman
would have a hard time getting to it as well.

Bobby G.

Ah, but you see, the letter carrier can get out of the truck,
walk a few feet to the box and deliver the mail -- teenagers
in a car driving at high speeds can't do that and in fact
might crash the car if they drove off the surface of the road
to try and "reach" the relocated mailbox...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 5:56*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Evan wrote:
People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

I imagine the letter carriers would enjoy getting out of the vehicle to
stuff the box, too. Tell 'em it's for, uh, DVT prevention.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but around here it
is VERY RARE that a letter carrier can sit down and drive their
entire route without getting out of their truck...

Only rural routes are like that in my part of the country and those
routes are often delivered by "casual carriers" who are not full time
postal employees...

Suburbs, parked cars on streets, fuel costs, etc all add up to the
letter carrier driving from point to point along their route and
needing
to walk much of it...

Must be nice in those parts of the country where the mailboxes are
miles apart down two-lane "highways" but that is not the experience
of a majority of postal customers...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
[...]

I really wish that people here would be able to read and understand
administrative law... Within the same set of standards which describe
where curbside boxes must be located is described a standard for
door slot dimensions and locations such slots can be installed...

Gee, I guess that means that WOW! curbside boxes are not absolutely
required and there is a way in which you can apply for door slot
service
or to have your external mailbox located adjacent to your door... :-O

Imagine that...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

In your area, it sounds like they only allow for curbside boxes...

Your tough luck...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Evan wrote:

I really wish that people here would be able to read and understand
administrative law... Within the same set of standards which describe
where curbside boxes must be located is described a standard for
door slot dimensions and locations such slots can be installed...

Gee, I guess that means that WOW! curbside boxes are not absolutely
required and there is a way in which you can apply for door slot
service
or to have your external mailbox located adjacent to your door... :-O

Imagine that...

~~ Evan

You can google for "definition of rural" if you don't quite understand
the concept, Evan. Not everyone lives in high rise apartments or tract
homes in the burbs.

There is no ****ing way a rural postal carrier is delivering mail to
anyone's ****ing door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2011 9:23 PM, Evan wrote:
On Apr 16, 6:22 pm, "Robert wrote:
wrote in message

stuff snipped

People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

If a vandal with a bat can't reach it, I'm guessing the mailman
would have a hard time getting to it as well.

Bobby G.

Ah, but you see, the letter carrier can get out of the truck,
walk a few feet to the box and deliver the mail -- teenagers
in a car driving at high speeds can't do that and in fact
might crash the car if they drove off the surface of the road
to try and "reach" the relocated mailbox...

~~ Evan

Do you wanna pay $1 per stamp to hire all the additional carriers that
would take in rural and semi-rural areas? Walking routes work in
neighborhoods of lots 40-60 feet wide. With the two-to-five-acre
minimums common for modern rural build-outs, not so much.

Around here, most of the rural routes with boxes out by the streets, are
delivered by contract carriers. Many areas, even dense apartment
projects, they are forcing people to live with cluster mailboxes. Many
attached condo projects are set up that way. The rich rural clusters of
fancy houses with private roads, all have the mailboxes up by the public
road.

They even tried to force a few in-town blocks to switch to curbside
mailboxes- they even came out and planted them. But the residents
bitched so much the local postmaster backed off.

IOW, front door delivery is not an inalienable right, but more a matter
of local tradition and custom.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 10:32*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Evan wrote:
I really wish that people here would be able to read and understand
administrative law... *Within the same set of standards which describe
where curbside boxes must be located is described a standard for
door slot dimensions and locations such slots can be installed...

Gee, I guess that means that WOW! curbside boxes are not absolutely
required and there is a way in which you can apply for door slot
service
or to have your external mailbox located adjacent to your door... *:-O

Imagine that...

~~ Evan

You can google for "definition of rural" if you don't quite understand
the concept, Evan. Not everyone lives in high rise apartments or tract
homes in the burbs.

There is no ****ing way a rural postal carrier is delivering mail to
anyone's ****ing door.

A good frend works for the post office and I talked to him about this
tonight.

Did you know the PO is set to loose billions this year.???

Saturday delivery is being cancelled and theres a proposal to elminate
wednesday delivery too.

delivery would only be mon tues thursday friday. mail is mostly just
junk mail spam

The PO is moving to centralized mailboxes, thats how all new homes
have been built in phoenix. My dad goes to te central mailbox that
must hold 70 to 100 boxes, One stop filling for the mail carrier

My carrier mentioned them wanting to do the central mailbox thing
here. Each home could for a annual fee still get home delivery.

Walking mail carriers are costly, dog attacks, slip and falls etc
etc.slow walking routes

There are BIG changes coming soon. post office wants to shed about 50%
of its workforce and rumors are they are thinking of selling their
package delivery to Fed X, who already bought their overnight and 2
day service, Thats why all Post offices have Fed X drop boxes out
front

They want to eventually close over 50% of all post offices nationwide
moving to central large ones, and farming out many mal functions to
places like grocery stores.

The day of the carrier walking the route is coming to a end, its no
longer affordable
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2011 11:00 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 4/16/2011 9:23 PM, Evan wrote:
On Apr 16, 6:22 pm, "Robert wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Sure thing! I'll pay $1 to send a letter across town or across the
country, it's a good deal. I can't drive across town for less than $1
in gas let alone across the country.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2011 10:32 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

I really wish that people here would be able to read and understand
administrative law... Within the same set of standards which describe
where curbside boxes must be located is described a standard for
door slot dimensions and locations such slots can be installed...

Gee, I guess that means that WOW! curbside boxes are not absolutely
required and there is a way in which you can apply for door slot
service
or to have your external mailbox located adjacent to your door... :-O

Imagine that...

~~ Evan

You can google for "definition of rural" if you don't quite understand
the concept, Evan. Not everyone lives in high rise apartments or tract
homes in the burbs.

There is no ****ing way a rural postal carrier is delivering mail to
anyone's ****ing door.

Well golly gee willickers. I think my 1 1/2 car wide road with less
than 20 houses in 1 mile would be called rural. Every time I get a
package too big for the box the postman drives up my 1/10 mile long
driveway and leaves the package on the front porch along with the rest
of the mail for that day. Only time I get a notice to pick something up
at the post office is when it needs to be signed for and no one is here
to sign.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Our delivery woman leaves the package (usually a Fedex package) at the door,
rings the bell, and then goes back down the driveway to stick the rest of the
mail in the box. We live in a new subdivision (20ish houses) with individual
street-side boxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Miklos wrote:

I think my 1 1/2 car wide road with less
than 20 houses in 1 mile would be called rural.

Yer joking, right? 20 houses in 1 mile isn't within ICBM distance of
rural. I guess you think you're a regular gentleman farmer, with your
daisies and tomatoes growing in containers, huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2011 9:32 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

I really wish that people here would be able to read and understand
administrative law... Within the same set of standards which describe
where curbside boxes must be located is described a standard for
door slot dimensions and locations such slots can be installed...

Gee, I guess that means that WOW! curbside boxes are not absolutely
required and there is a way in which you can apply for door slot
service
or to have your external mailbox located adjacent to your door... :-O

Imagine that...

~~ Evan

You can google for "definition of rural" if you don't quite understand
the concept, Evan. Not everyone lives in high rise apartments or tract
homes in the burbs.

There is no ****ing way a rural postal carrier is delivering mail to
anyone's ****ing door.

ours does several times a month when the **** won't fit the box. If
we're not home, she leaves it inside the door for us.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2011 10:09 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Apr 16, 10:32 pm, Smitty wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

In the town i live near, the only option is walking. And the boxes are
on the houses next to the door. I don't see that changing in this town.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, rural is like where i live. ONE house every mile or half mile. 20
per mile. HELL, that's the city!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A lot of it is carrier-dependent, or even how busy the carrier is that
day dependent. I can tell when a sub has delivered my route- me and the
neighbors have to walk up and down the street re-delivering the mail to
the proper house. And the carriers are human- if it is a light day, and
they have time to take that extra step (especially if it means they
don't have to take the package back to the barn with them), they will. I
know from personal experience that carriers also often provide extra
service to elderly customers. (No, not me just yet, but I have been
visiting older relatives when USPS showed up.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

* *wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

central some called cluster mailbox, or pay X bucks a year still get
it deliivered to door..

fee will be high since these are federal government workers......

is it worth 200 bucks a year to stil get your mail in your hme box?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Ever try to do it? I know at least 3 different folks who built new
houses with two of them being in the older sections where every home had
a house mounted mailbox and they were refused delivery to their new
mailboxes and informed they needed to install a curbside box. One
pursued it out of common sense and was told by the postoffice that it
just wasn't going to happen.

Gee, I guess that means that WOW! curbside boxes are not absolutely
required and there is a way in which you can apply for door slot
service
or to have your external mailbox located adjacent to your door... :-O

You can certainly apply...

Imagine that...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Maybe but the kids didn't have to overtly destroy the property of
others. It isn't like the guy dug a pit and covered it up as a trap.
They had to decide to do damage for the sake of doing damage. If they
didn't they would not have incurred injuries.

Those "we will help you" lawyers can make a nice living though on those
sort of cases because typically they never get to a courtroom. Someone
from the lawyers staff finds out how what pockets are involved and how
deep they are and in the case of insurance companies reviews what
insurers typically pay without putting up a fuss.

People who are bat-**** crazy about protecting their mailboxes
from being batted away by passing carloads of vandals should
locate those mailboxes far enough away from the side of the
road so that they can not be reached with a baseball bat out
of a vehicle's window -- problem solved...

But then how would they get mail delivered to their *mailbox*? The
postoffice prescribes the location requirements which essentially
describe that someone in a vehicle needs to be able to deliver the mail
without leaving the vehicle. How would you propose the mailbox be
installed so the mail could be delivered as described without it being
accessible to someone in a vehicle intending to destroy the property of
others for fun?

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

They require that even in urban areas for a lower unit count. A friend
built a triplex in an established area where everyone had house mounted
mailboxes and he had to install a multi mailbox commercial post mounted
box on the curb.

My carrier mentioned them wanting to do the central mailbox thing
here. Each home could for a annual fee still get home delivery.

Walking mail carriers are costly, dog attacks, slip and falls etc
etc.slow walking routes

There are BIG changes coming soon. post office wants to shed about 50%
of its workforce and rumors are they are thinking of selling their
package delivery to Fed X, who already bought their overnight and 2
day service, Thats why all Post offices have Fed X drop boxes out
front

They want to eventually close over 50% of all post offices nationwide
moving to central large ones, and farming out many mal functions to
places like grocery stores.

The day of the carrier walking the route is coming to a end, its no
longer affordable

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Same arrangement here but if you build a new house they will only
deliver to a curbside box.

I don't see that changing in this town.

Good paint RickH Home Repair 13 June 24th 10 02:21 AM
Wicks Master Paint - any good? tester UK diy 4 May 3rd 07 12:37 PM
Is Home Depot paint any good? Alex Home Repair 14 August 26th 06 06:23 AM
Peel-A-Way Paint Remover For Latex Paint: Any Good ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 July 16th 06 01:36 AM