Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof tile glue to repair recently cracked clay re-roof tiles (doesit exist?)

I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less).

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron FIsher wrote:
I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less).

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Silicon paste used as glue? (rub it in firmly at the break surface)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 6, 5:01*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Aaron FIsher wrote:
I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less)..

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Silicon paste used as glue? (rub it in firmly at the break surface)

A slow cure 2 part epoxy will actually do a permanent repair on clay
roof tiles. I have used it for some emergency repairs on clay drainage
tile and it is still intact a decade later.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 5:44*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less).

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Me thinks the problem was you going up on the roof and
cracking the tiles...

Find someone who is considerably lighter than your 250 pounds
to do future repairs up on your roof...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:28:23 -0700, Oren wrote:

At 225 pound, an a lean fighting Army machine I stay off the tile roof,
unless I need my own personal approval up there.

I'm not sure what a 'personal approval' is, but I had to take down a torn-
apart chimney enclosure.

I have to go back up to snap some pictures the team asked for.

Plus, I have to go up to fix the tiles!

I've learned to walk on the arches - but even then, I crack a few every
time I go up there.

I wonder if a hot-glue gun, which heals in seconds, will take the hot
summer heat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 5:44*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

It's SOP, according to my roofers.

They say replacement tiles for our 1939 roof run about $80/tile, if
you're lucky enough to find one.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 6:03*pm, Evan wrote:
On Apr 6, 5:44*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:

I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less)..

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Me thinks the problem was you going up on the roof and
cracking the tiles...

Find someone who is considerably lighter than your 250 pounds
to do future repairs up on your roof...

~~ Evan

How about putting a sheet of pywood between the 250 lbs and the roof,
to spread it out. I sure wouldn't walk directly on a tile roof,
unless it belonged to someone else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:26:18 -0700, gpsman wrote:

On Apr 6, 5:44Â*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back together?

It's SOP, according to my roofers.

Interesting. I didn't think anyone actually glued a tile ... but I really
don't want to re-roof the whole section! (I already bought 100
replacement tiles - I just don't really know how to do the re-roofing
part.)

Here is a picture of the newly bought tile shape that needs to be glued.
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/080411/1302288985.jpg

Notice how 'thin' this tile is (US Tile Claymax).

The only problem with the suggested epoxies, I think, is that I would
think we'd need a quick-dry which will 'fix' while I'm still up there on
the roof, holding the parts together with my hand.

Did we come to a consensus as to which glue will:
a) Be strong enough to hold porous tile together
b) Be quick-drying enough to set in a minute or two (while being hand
held)
c) Be durable enough to last the heat and cold cycles on the roof
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 3:12*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:
[...]

Ive glued things together with slow set epoxy that was difficult to
hold in place while the glue was drying by also using a little fast
set glue like a 5 minute epoxy or super clue .Superglue should hold
tiles pretty good.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:03:57 -0700, JIMMIE wrote:
Superglue should hold tiles pretty good.

I've never had success with cyanoacrylates on (a) porous surfaces, and
(b) large surfaces.

The problem with cyanacrolates (e.g., superglue) is they the glue itself
is extremely weak. So, while the molecular bonding is fantastic, you
really want a single molecule layer thick of the stuff, no more, no less.

That's really hard to do on rough cracked chipped porous surfaces like a
clay tile, even a recently broken clay tile. So, from 'my' experience,
superglue would be one of the worst possible choices for clay tile.

Besides, we're talking a LOT of (what turns out to be expensive) super
glue! Even if it did work (which I really doubt it would).

But, not to sound condescending, I 'do' welcome the suggestions. I'm
particularly motivated now that you guys tell me roofers habitually glue
roofing tiles (I hadn't expected that).

Is there an epoxy that can set while I'm on the roof holding the tiles
(two minutes or so)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron FIsher wrote:
[...]

the faster epoxy sets, the weaker it is, in general.

if you can remove them, glue them in a jig, and heat them gently, then
replace, they'd be stronger. you could also laminate them on the down side
with some fiberglass mat wetted with epoxy for reinforcement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:03:58 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Apr 6, 5:44 pm, Aaron wrote:
I was up on my roof today and despite crawling and trying to be gingerly
with my 250 pound frame, I cracked a few roof tiles.

Actually, they're 're-roof' clay tiles, which, apparently, are thinner
than original roof tiles (they're only about a half-inch thick or less).

I realize I 'should' replace the broken clay tiles ... but I was just
wondering, since the cracks are brand new and all the pieces are
there ... is there any solution that involves simply gluing them back
together?

Just wondering if that's a viable alternative for minor roof repairs?

Me thinks the problem was you going up on the roof and
cracking the tiles...

OP stated that.

Find someone who is considerably lighter than your 250 pounds
to do future repairs up on your roof...

~~ Evan

At 225 pound, an a lean fighting Army machine I stay off the tile
roof, unless I need my own personal approval up there.

Walking on tile is a trick, with Wilson tennis shoes.

Hi,
My house has metal ceramic coated tile roof.
My neighbor has concrete tiles on his roof.
When it was installed the roofer gave him
quite a few spare tiles and a pair of light wooden
platform to use if and when he needs to go on the roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:59:32 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:
the roofer gave him quite a few
spare tiles and a pair of light wooden platform to use if and when he
needs to go on the roof.

Tell me more about that 'light wooden platform'.

What does it look like?

How do you prevent it from being a toboggan on the steep tile roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:43:46 -0700, chaniarts wrote:
if you can remove them, glue them in a jig, and heat them gently

Actually, I bought 100 of the tiles just now. If I'm gonna 'remove' it, I
may as well replace it!

Here is a picture of a new one.
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/080411/1302288985.jpg

I guess I'm now morphing to the idea of replacing them.

They only have a single hole ... it's on top ... in the middle. One nail.
Also one wind-hold-down hook on the bottom (which hangs off the prior
tile).

Can anyone point me to a howto for replacing a single roof tile of this
type? (Claymax, US Tile company). Yes, I have an email pending to their
sales department.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"chaniarts" wrote:

you could also laminate them on the down side
with some fiberglass mat wetted with epoxy for reinforcement.

This is what I'd suggest. I've fixed a few things this way, and it'd be
damn strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 15:47:08 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
you could also laminate them on the down side with some fiberglass mat
wetted with epoxy for reinforcement.

Interesting idea. That would give the tile a strength and water
repentance that simply gluing might not.

It might be a bit hard to get UNDER the tile though.

Here is a picture of the tiles in place, for example.
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/080411/1302294051.jpg

It might be, that if I have to remove the tile, I may as well replace it
then. The thing that scares me is HOW to replace just one tile in a sea
of tiles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron FIsher wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 15:47:08 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
you could also laminate them on the down side with some fiberglass
mat wetted with epoxy for reinforcement.

Interesting idea. That would give the tile a strength and water
repentance that simply gluing might not.

It might be a bit hard to get UNDER the tile though.

Here is a picture of the tiles in place, for example.
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/080411/1302294051.jpg

It might be, that if I have to remove the tile, I may as well replace
it then. The thing that scares me is HOW to replace just one tile in
a sea of tiles.

there must be a way. you might have to take off an entire string starting at
the lower edge.

call up a roofer who does tile and ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 3:12*pm, Aaron FIsher wrote:

Did we come to a consensus as to which glue will:
a) Be strong enough to hold porous tile together
b) Be quick-drying enough to set in a minute or two (while being hand
held)
c) Be durable enough to last the heat and cold cycles on the roof

My guys use plain ol' roofing asphalt. It doesn't need to set that
quickly, the tile is just sitting there.

My tiles tend to crack/break across their width, so slapping some
asphalt on both pieces is easy and they don't have to remove the
fastened top of the tile.

No problems with their technique over 15 years.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron FIsher wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:28:23 -0700, Oren wrote:

At 225 pound, an a lean fighting Army machine I stay off the tile
roof, unless I need my own personal approval up there.

I'm not sure what a 'personal approval' is, but I had to take down a
torn- apart chimney enclosure.

I have to go back up to snap some pictures the team asked for.

Plus, I have to go up to fix the tiles!

I've learned to walk on the arches - but even then, I crack a few
every time I go up there.

Anything to learn here?

Time for some thick foam rubber covered snowshoes?

I wonder if a hot-glue gun, which heals in seconds, will take the hot
summer heat?

No. Epoxy would be your best bet, other than the obvious replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron FIsher wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 13:43:46 -0700, chaniarts wrote:
if you can remove them, glue them in a jig, and heat them gently

Actually, I bought 100 of the tiles just now. If I'm gonna 'remove'
it, I may as well replace it!

Here is a picture of a new one.
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/080411/1302288985.jpg

Your pictures are unfindable on my computer.