POP/CREAK SOUND from attic/new roof???

Old April 5th 11, 05:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default POP/CREAK SOUND from attic/new roof???

We own a block house in west central Florida built in the early 1980's
and several years ago we had the entire roof rebuild with mostly new
plywood and all new shingles. About six months ago we were in the
living room and heard a rather loud CREAK or POP sound come from the
front hallway. Almost like the occasional creaking sound you heard
from a house settling, but after hearing it several times over the
next several days we noticed it was coming from the attic area. Have
noticed it's mainly when the temperature is changing, like after the
sun has been up a while or after the sun has set.

Also have heard this in other parts of the house at different volumes
but most prominent in the front hallway area. I have checked in the
attic and seen no visible things out of sorts. Just never heard these
sounds before and the roof work was done 5 or 6 years ago. Would like
to find some way to determine where these sounds are coming from and
take some precautionary measures if something needs work.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance,
Thanks!
Old April 5th 11, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

infiniteMPG wrote:
[...]

does it occur when the temps are going up or down? if so, it's
expansion/contraction.

Old April 5th 11, 06:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:55:26 -0700, chaniarts wrote:
does it occur when the temps are going up or down? if so, it's
expansion/contraction.

It might also be plastic gutters expanding/contracting if they haven't
been installed properly - they can make quite a noise, too.

Given that the OP's in Florida, I suppose we can rule out snow/ice
falling from the roof

Old April 5th 11, 06:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/5/2011 12:50 PM, infiniteMPG wrote:
[...]

Normal thermal expansion and contraction. Should work itself out and
quiet down with time. Heard it on my siding when house was new. Siding
has elongated grooves for nailing and should not be nailed too tight
because of this. Roof not made the same but no surprise that there is
occasional noise.
Old April 5th 11, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Seems to happen more when temps are rising (sun coming up) then when
cooling (evening) but have heard it late at night occasionally. Would
of thought the roof would of "settled" over the last 4 or 5 years of
brutal summer heat and chilly winters (maybe just a week or two, but
still below freezing). Anything that can be done about it (beads of
contractor adhesive between roof plywood and 2x4's or something like
that?) or just something to live with? Sometimes it's pretty loud and
since it's in the front hallway it sounds like someone at the front
door :O/

No gutters so can rule that out :O)
Old April 5th 11, 06:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/5/2011 1:23 PM, infiniteMPG wrote:
Seems to happen more when temps are rising (sun coming up) then when
cooling (evening) but have heard it late at night occasionally. Would
of thought the roof would of "settled" over the last 4 or 5 years of
brutal summer heat and chilly winters (maybe just a week or two, but
still below freezing). Anything that can be done about it (beads of
contractor adhesive between roof plywood and 2x4's or something like
that?) or just something to live with? Sometimes it's pretty loud and
since it's in the front hallway it sounds like someone at the front
door :O/

No gutters so can rule that out :O)

Look especially at the sunniest portion of the house when you hear it
early in the day....ductwork, ac, pipes, rafters...something knocking
when something else is warming/cooling. I lived a long time in Florida,
but never had that sort of noise....only an occ. rattle, like mild
earthquakes and I lived in sink-hole area ) In a different location,
I used to have clunking noise from aluminum siding as it warmed and cooled.
Old April 5th 11, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 12:23*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
Seems to happen more when temps are rising (sun coming up) then when
cooling (evening) but have heard it late at night occasionally. *Would
of thought the roof would of "settled" over the last 4 or 5 years of
brutal summer heat and chilly winters (maybe just a week or two, but
still below freezing). *Anything that can be done about it (beads of
contractor adhesive between roof plywood and 2x4's or something like
that?) or just something to live with? *Sometimes it's pretty loud and
since it's in the front hallway it sounds like someone at the front
door *:O/

No gutters so can rule that out *:O)

Did you just get new hearing aids??
Old April 7th 11, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Did you just get new hearing aids??

LOL.... nope. Didn't get old ones either. But did remind me of when
my MOM finally won her battle to get my Dad to get his first hearing
aids. She was driving him home on a nice day and he looked surprised
and wanted to know what that noise was!!! My Mom explained it was the
wind coming in the car window.... LOL
Old April 7th 11, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Look especially at the sunniest portion of the house when you hear it
early in the day....ductwork, ac, pipes, rafters...something knocking
when something else is warming/cooling. *I lived a long time in Florida,
but never had that sort of noise....only an occ. rattle, like mild
earthquakes and I lived in sink-hole area ) *In a different location,
I used to have clunking noise from aluminum siding as it warmed and cooled.

The creaking noise is most noticeable on the side of the house with
the most sun exposure in the afternoons. What bothers me is the sound
is like the sound you'd hear if you pried on a stuck nail and it first
started to come loose... that *POP* noise :O(