OT - Berryman's B-12 fuel additive

Old March 31st 11, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Berryman's B-12 fuel additive

The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old March 31st 11, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Hmm,
Interesting, wonder what is in it. Tempted to try but I don't want to
jeopardize warranty on my brand new Acura MDX.(less than 2 months)
Old March 31st 11, 04:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N

On Mar 31, 10:23*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Hmm,
Interesting, wonder what is in it. Tempted to try but I don't want to
jeopardize warranty on my brand new Acura MDX.(less than 2 months)

I don't think it will do anything for a new vehicle, it's basically
just a fuel system cleaner. But it could conceivably help out w/
cleaning gunky fuel injectors or other fuel system components in an
old, high-mileage vehicle.

nate
Old March 31st 11, 04:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

Report back over 10 or more tankfuls. Too many variables since where
you are going, the weather, and even differences in traffic patterns can
make fairly large differences from one tank to another. Sounds
interesting, though.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Old March 31st 11, 04:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair
SMS

On 3/31/2011 7:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

Most likely it did nothing if it's a fairly new vehicle. You'd have to
check the mpg a lot more than once.

It's basically toluene, acetone, hexanes, and methanol, same as most
fuel system cleaners. The actual ingredients would cause your mpg to go
down, but if something was gunked up it might have helped.
Old March 31st 11, 04:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2011 10:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG.

Let's assume it does work.

20 gal tank @15.2 = 304 miles
20 gal tank @16.3 = 326 miles

So, 22 extra miles $2.97 + tax.

B12 contains acetone, which may play havoc with plastic parts. You can
Google it.

don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

Cleaning out your injectors or carb may very well improve mileage.

It appears to be a cleaner and that once every now and then is enough. YMMV.

Jeff

It may work for you, also.

Old March 31st 11, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't waste the three bucks on a new vehicle.
This is supposed to be solvents and gosh knows
what, that cleans dirty fuel injectors. Your new
fuel injectors won't be dirty for a couple years
or more.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old March 31st 11, 05:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I'll do that. Like you say, many factor can make a small
change, short term.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old March 31st 11, 05:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I'll keep notes, for a few tanks full. The truck has 173k
miles on it, so it may well be due for fuel injector
cleaning. And a few other PM repairs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old March 31st 11, 05:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The mileage on my replacement Blazer is a bit low.
15 MPG, where the last Blazer ran about 18 MPG.

A friend reccomended Berryman's B-12 gas additive.
Says it's $2.97 at Walmart. Found it at Walmart. top
shelf, and this store had only two left, so it took a
while to find it. A couple days ago, I put in one can
of that B-12 fluid. I'd checked my mileage at 15.2 on
the last tank. This next fill up came up 16.3 MPG. I
don't think I changed my driving style, and the weather
is much the same. So, I'm figure that fluid did some
good.

It may work for you, also.

This is also the time of year they reformulate the gasoline for warmer
weather. Winter blended gasoline can *really* hurt your gas mileage.
So your boost in MPG may have been a coincidence.

Need to test again in mid-summer or mid-winter so you'll have the same
gas before and after.

-Bob

Berryman's fuel additive (well, it works in metal engines) Stormin Mormon Metalworking 32 April 5th 11 02:34 AM
Fuel leak where line enters fuel tank k-man Home Repair 8 September 25th 08 05:30 PM
Stabil Fuel Additive Jack Home Repair 11 November 27th 05 09:05 PM
Degloss additive? Al Reid Woodworking 14 October 15th 04 01:09 PM