gutter with low spot in middle and standing water

Old March 16th 11, 11:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default gutter with low spot in middle and standing water

Now that the weather has gotten a bit more civilized in my area of the
U.S., I went on the roof to do a few seasonal fixes, among which was
tightening the pins/spikes that hold the gutter in place.

I noticed that the gutter on the front of the house (about 50'/15m
long) has standing water in the center 20'/5m or so (about 3/4"/1cm at
deepest point). Anyone have any reasonable solutions as to how to
raise the center so that water drains and doesn't lay there?

I've seen in old discussions here advice about pulling the gutter and
remounting it, but I don't see how that's feasible. We're talking
about moving a gutter less than the diameter of the nail/pin that
holds it in place, and it's not like one can just move the nail/pin to
the left or right, yes?

Putting the downspout at the low point is right out, as the low spot
is right over the front door.

I haven't seen anyone post results of filling the low space with some
sort of lightweight solid that would raise the "floor" of the gutter
to make it drain.

Any thoughts?
Old March 17th 11, 12:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
[...]

Pull the spikes out for the low area. Put some waterproof glue on a dowel the
size of the spike in diameter, drive it into the spike hole, then cut or break
it off flush. Then re-install the spike at the proper level.

Old March 17th 11, 12:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
[...]

Hope someone can help you out. I have a similar problem with low spots on a
garage flat roof.

Like you, I'm hoping for some very light leveling substance.

Old March 17th 11, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2011 7:54 PM, Kyle wrote:
[...]

Fine tune reality. Add another spike one rafter tail to the left and
right after pulling lowest one, or shim the existing spike with metal
tubing or pipe to get the height you need. It doesn't even have to be
real pretty or artistic, since it is well above eye level. Just dab some
matching paint over any scars you make, and nobody will ever know. Old
spike holes can be covered with aluminum tape.

Forget about using floor leveling compound or anything in a gutter. They
need to be slick and shiny. Use a garden hose or a large marble to test
fall and for humps.

--
aem sends...
Old March 17th 11, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:54:06 -0700 (PDT), Kyle
wrote:

[...]

I can hear a loud drip in my gutters when it rains. I was reading
ways to soften the sound. One suggestion is to put a rope in the
drain to give the water a path to drop. It might work as a wick for
your problem.

Old March 17th 11, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle" wrote in message
[...]

Others may disagree with what I say.

Gutters are a finely balanced act between function and appearance. Sometimes
they do not have the perfect slope to the drop. Creating the perfect slope
may cause appearance problems.

A little standing water will hurt nothing.

My advice: Find something more serious to worry about.

--
Colbyt

Old March 17th 11, 02:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...fcbda7d44cae94
Old March 17th 11, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

STANDING
"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Kyle" wrote in message
[...]

STANDING water is a mosquito breeding area. WW

Old March 17th 11, 02:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:

Anyone have any reasonable solutions as to how to
raise the center so that water drains and doesn't lay there?

Haven't seen this posted yet as a solution.

It's not elegant, but it's a quick fix: Drill a small hole in the
gutter (1/8", maybe 3/16") in the low point where water is pooling.
This will give the stagnant water somewhere to go (ie - down) but
presumably when you get rain most of the water will flow out to the
gutter downspouts the way it should.
Old March 17th 11, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 9:53*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Kyle" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed. Gutters make wonderful roof edge planters.

Stuff will grow in the gutter, the standing water doesn't stay just
water. Leaves, roof shingle granules and such get stuck in there,
too. Over time the load increases, the sag increases, which hold more
water, and the cycle repeats.

Your point about a gutter not needing a 'perfect' slope is true, but
that is not the same thing as having a gutter that traps water. There
is no reason, short of a faulty installation, why a gutter system
should ever have standing water. It's a totally trivial thing to
rehang a gutter. One person can rehang a gutter of any length with a
few pieces of cord to temporarily suspend the gutter.

Keeping gutters in good condition is one of the primary maintenance
tasks inherent in owning a home.