Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gutter with low spot in middle and standing water

Now that the weather has gotten a bit more civilized in my area of the
U.S., I went on the roof to do a few seasonal fixes, among which was
tightening the pins/spikes that hold the gutter in place.

I noticed that the gutter on the front of the house (about 50'/15m
long) has standing water in the center 20'/5m or so (about 3/4"/1cm at
deepest point). Anyone have any reasonable solutions as to how to
raise the center so that water drains and doesn't lay there?

I've seen in old discussions here advice about pulling the gutter and
remounting it, but I don't see how that's feasible. We're talking
about moving a gutter less than the diameter of the nail/pin that
holds it in place, and it's not like one can just move the nail/pin to
the left or right, yes?

Putting the downspout at the low point is right out, as the low spot
is right over the front door.

I haven't seen anyone post results of filling the low space with some
sort of lightweight solid that would raise the "floor" of the gutter
to make it drain.

Any thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
[...]

Pull the spikes out for the low area. Put some waterproof glue on a dowel the
size of the spike in diameter, drive it into the spike hole, then cut or break
it off flush. Then re-install the spike at the proper level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
[...]

Hope someone can help you out. I have a similar problem with low spots on a
garage flat roof.

Like you, I'm hoping for some very light leveling substance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2011 7:54 PM, Kyle wrote:
[...]

Fine tune reality. Add another spike one rafter tail to the left and
right after pulling lowest one, or shim the existing spike with metal
tubing or pipe to get the height you need. It doesn't even have to be
real pretty or artistic, since it is well above eye level. Just dab some
matching paint over any scars you make, and nobody will ever know. Old
spike holes can be covered with aluminum tape.

Forget about using floor leveling compound or anything in a gutter. They
need to be slick and shiny. Use a garden hose or a large marble to test
fall and for humps.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 16:54:06 -0700 (PDT), Kyle
wrote:

[...]

I can hear a loud drip in my gutters when it rains. I was reading
ways to soften the sound. One suggestion is to put a rope in the
drain to give the water a path to drop. It might work as a wick for
your problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle" wrote in message
[...]

Others may disagree with what I say.

Gutters are a finely balanced act between function and appearance. Sometimes
they do not have the perfect slope to the drop. Creating the perfect slope
may cause appearance problems.

A little standing water will hurt nothing.

My advice: Find something more serious to worry about.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 4:54*pm, Kyle wrote:
[...]

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...fcbda7d44cae94
Posted to alt.home.repair

STANDING
"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Kyle" wrote in message
[...]

STANDING water is a mosquito breeding area. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:

Anyone have any reasonable solutions as to how to
raise the center so that water drains and doesn't lay there?

Haven't seen this posted yet as a solution.

It's not elegant, but it's a quick fix: Drill a small hole in the
gutter (1/8", maybe 3/16") in the low point where water is pooling.
This will give the stagnant water somewhere to go (ie - down) but
presumably when you get rain most of the water will flow out to the
gutter downspouts the way it should.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 9:53*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Kyle" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed. Gutters make wonderful roof edge planters.

Stuff will grow in the gutter, the standing water doesn't stay just
water. Leaves, roof shingle granules and such get stuck in there,
too. Over time the load increases, the sag increases, which hold more
water, and the cycle repeats.

Your point about a gutter not needing a 'perfect' slope is true, but
that is not the same thing as having a gutter that traps water. There
is no reason, short of a faulty installation, why a gutter system
should ever have standing water. It's a totally trivial thing to
rehang a gutter. One person can rehang a gutter of any length with a
few pieces of cord to temporarily suspend the gutter.

Keeping gutters in good condition is one of the primary maintenance
tasks inherent in owning a home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Drill a small hole in the gutter in the low point where water
is pooling. This will give the stagnant water somewhere to go
(ie - down)

Having a weep hole above the front entrance?

OP wrote:

"...the low spot is right over the front door."

Well, if the water is collecting over a 20-foot length, then putting the
hole just adjacent to the door (and not directly over the door) should
be possible. Note that when it's raining or just after a rain for an
hour or so, you're not likely to be inconvienenced by having a gallon or
two of water drain onto the ground in front of (or beside) your front
door area.

I did this on my house (drilled a small hole in the gutter) to drain a
low point, but this was over-top another roof section so that water
simply fell and got collected by a another gutter section below it.

The OP also says this:

about 3/4" / 1cm at deepest point

I've seen in old discussions here advice about pulling the
gutter and remounting it, but I don't see how that's
feasible. We're talking about moving a gutter less than
the diameter of the nail/pin that holds it in place

If the water depth is 3/4", then you need to move the low point up by at
least that amount to prevent a low spot from forming. Way more than
"the diameter of the nail holding it in place".

and it's not like one can just move the nail/pin to
the left or right, yes?

Normally the gutter is nailed through the face board and into the rafter
ends directly behind it, which are spaced every 18 to 24".

But the reality is that putting a 1" screw with a wide pan head (ie -
wafer-board screws) through the back wall of the gutter and into the
faceboard every couple of feet is all you really need. The front edge
of the gutter doesn't really need to be supported at every rafter joint
like it normally is by the hangers. You never have so much of a load on
the gutter that requires that sort of bracing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2011 11:43 PM, Home Guy wrote:
(snip)

Normally the gutter is nailed through the face board and into the rafter
ends directly behind it, which are spaced every 18 to 24".

But the reality is that putting a 1" screw with a wide pan head (ie -
wafer-board screws) through the back wall of the gutter and into the
faceboard every couple of feet is all you really need. The front edge
of the gutter doesn't really need to be supported at every rafter joint
like it normally is by the hangers. You never have so much of a load on
the gutter that requires that sort of bracing.

Other than the spot where you lean a ladder against it. I keep meaning
to make some thick-wall tubes and add 3-4 extra spikes to make an
extra-solid section. Since the load is parallel to ground, they wouldn't
need to be into the rafter tails.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. I've got a low spot too. Maybe 3 feet long, that holds maybe
1/4 inch of water until it evaporates.
That's on a about a 35 foot run on the front of the house.
I think it was caused by ice weighing the gutter down and bending it.
Probably have a warm spot there because it's where the biggest icicles
form.
Not a gutter expert, but I've hung some.
Since a gutter is a square form and has a rolled front edge they are
pretty stiff.
When I put 25 footers on my garage I noticed no sag when I leveled
them.
Attached the high end and low end with the prescribed drop, then did
the other hangers. Used a dial level to check and the angle stayed
the same without me forcing the gutter up or down.
What this tells me is the low spot on the house is because the gutter
is bent.
So I'm not sure rehanging that same gutter would work.
If it's bent it's bent.
I've thought about bending it back up, using a jack, but it's not bad
enough to worry about. Not sure how that would work out.
Might screw up the hangers.
A low spot tends to collect debris and can form a dam, but I just get
up there at least every other year and clean the gutters out.

Bottom line - live with it or hang a new gutter.
Doubt drilling a hole will work if you get any debris in the gutter.
It'll just get plugged up.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Metspitzer, JerseyBoy wrote:
Hmmmm. I've got water collecting on the high end of a gutter, even though
that end is about 1 1/2 " above the low end 17' away (that assumes the house
is level, and it may have settled with a shift towards that high end of the
gutter). The problem it causes is to leak dirty water onto a white railing
for the porch below, staining the white vinyl railing.
Instead of trying to re-align the gutter, which would be a lot of trouble
(deck and gardens have been added, complicating ladder access) I thought
putting some sort of wick in that low spot might keep that water from
collecting and seeping through the end of the gutter. Sealing that gutter end
might solve the problem also, but getting to it would not be easy.
Your suggestion about a rope in the drain re-enforces my idea. It's certainly
worth a try. All I've got to lose is a section of railing that has to be
cleaned. Right now, I've got it covered with a tarp.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-625697-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 6:54:06 PM UTC-5, Kyle wrote:
[...]

I had a low spot in the middle of a long run so I put a downspout at that point and led it to a rain barrel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Colbyt, jeanie stockton wrote:
A little standing water I wish it is so bad in the center of my gutters I'm
afaide it goings to come in my celling

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-625697-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeanie stockton wrote:

replying to Colbyt, jeanie stockton wrote:
A little standing water I wish it is so bad in the center of my gutters
I'm afaide it goings to come in my celling

I'd be afaide as well.

In the *five years* since Colbyt posted his response the standing water
has *evaporated* so don't worry about it.

"homeownershub.com - where timeliness doesn't matter"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 8:06:33 AM UTC-4, Sam Hill wrote:
jeanie stockton wrote:

replying to Colbyt, jeanie stockton wrote:
A little standing water I wish it is so bad in the center of my gutters
I'm afaide it goings to come in my celling

I'd be afaide as well.

In the *five years* since Colbyt posted his response the standing water
has *evaporated* so don't worry about it.

"homeownershub.com - where timeliness doesn't matter"

....and neither does spelling or punctuation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeanie stockton wrote:

replying to Colbyt, jeanie stockton wrote:
A little standing water I wish it is so bad in the center of my gutters
I'm afaide it goings to come in my celling

I'd be afaide as well.

In the *five years* since Colbyt posted his response the standing water
has *evaporated* so don't worry about it.

"homeownershub.com - where timeliness doesn't matter"

...and neither does spelling or punctuation.

I'm afraide that if I replied I'd be snarky

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Home Guy, BillA wrote:
I'm like this idea to drain a small amount of water from the gutter. Has
anybody tried this?
My gutter company told me the porch roof has sunk and the gutter cannot be
raised. Similar homes in the neighborhood have a downspout by the porch. I
don't want that because I want most of the water directed to the existing
downspouts connected to french drain to move water away from my home. Another
downspout looks unsightly and would drain a lot of water to the middle of my
front yard.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-625697-.htm