Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "waffle" pavers?

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Concrete pavers that look like a
waffle, or something open... you can set them in your yard to make a
walkway that doesn't get too muddy, but grass still grows up through the
holes. Or they can be used to make another parking spot, without it
looking like another parking spot.

Do any of the big boxes sell them?

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2011 4:43 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Concrete pavers that look like a
waffle, or something open... you can set them in your yard to make a
walkway that doesn't get too muddy, but grass still grows up through the
holes. Or they can be used to make another parking spot, without it
looking like another parking spot.

Do any of the big boxes sell them?

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

thanks

nate

Try this link:
http://www.concretepaversguide.com/t...ss-pavers.html

Not sure I'd want them for a main driveway, especially here in snow
country, but they are pretty popular in upscale homes down south. Around
here, they look like they would be could for an occasional-use driveway
out to the pole barn, so you don't have to deal with a big swath of
gravel or pavement taking up the yard.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/06/2011 04:53 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Actually what I was thinking was to buy a couple to make a path from the
back door to the garage, where there is nothing but yard now. Actually
given the weather today - it's been raining steadily since before I got
up - "quagmire" might be a better description. Hence my enquiry.

I'm not completely reassured when I see that the pond next door appears
to have a water level that looks pretty close to the level of the
basement slab. (it was quite a bit lower last night when I went to bed...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Concrete pavers that look like a
waffle, or something open... you can set them in your yard to make a
walkway that doesn't get too muddy, but grass still grows up through the
holes. Or they can be used to make another parking spot, without it
looking like another parking spot.

Do any of the big boxes sell them?

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Not sure what the proper name is. Call a few block suppliers or search for
"green driveways".

I have seen a few boat parking space locally that were built from your
standard old 8x8x16 blocks sit on a gravel base and filled with dirt. A
herringbone patter looks better that just placing them in rows.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 17:07:08 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Actually what I was thinking was to buy a couple to make a path from the
back door to the garage, where there is nothing but yard now. Actually
given the weather today - it's been raining steadily since before I got
up - "quagmire" might be a better description. Hence my enquiry.

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

Not sure what the proper name is. Call a few block suppliers or search
for "green driveways".

I have seen a few boat parking space locally that were built from your
standard old 8x8x16 blocks sit on a gravel base and filled with dirt. A
herringbone patter looks better that just placing them in rows.

They seem to call them many different names:

Open Paving blocks
Permeable Paving Units
Open cell concrete blocks

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...s_pavingop.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:05:10 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

Cool. That's a real good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

Cool. That's a real good idea.

Except for tromping through the mud for a few years! I can see not
putting them all in, but none?

I've put in a few paths and steps the last few years. They seem to build
themselves once you get started but you have to get started. And then
they grow as you see where they need to go. At least mine never end up
looking anything like I thought they would!

It's amazing how you can transform the most useless yard with the right
path and patio.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2011 7:05 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

That sounds like a neat idea! Too bad it probably wouldn't work today,
the building inspector and other government agency's would want to know
where the sidewalks are going before the first shovel of dirt is moved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2011 6:05 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

sounds like a story. Not likely any codes people would allow it to
really happen.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 4:43*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Anyone know what I'm talking about? *Concrete pavers that look like a
waffle, or something open... *you can set them in your yard to make a
walkway that doesn't get too muddy, but grass still grows up through the
holes. *Or they can be used to make another parking spot, without it
looking like another parking spot.

Do any of the big boxes sell them?

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

Turfblock, turf block, turf-block. Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Posted to alt.home.repair

My nose! My nose!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RicodJour" wrote in message

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

Turfblock, turf block, turf-block. Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 9:28*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My nose! My nose!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RicodJour" wrote in message

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

Turfblock, turf block, turf-block. *Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I've heard it called grasscrete and grassblock.

Very useful stuff on big projects, it saves having to do a lot of
stormwater ponds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 11:57*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 3/6/2011 6:05 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

sounds like a story. *Not likely any codes people would allow it to
really happen.

Codes for the locations of walkways on a campus? There are none.
Sidewalks along a road are a different matter.

The main walkways and sidewalks would be put in, and then there would
be the waiting period for the mass of humanity to determine the most
efficient location for the walkways. You wouldn't have to wait years
to determine where to put the walkways. Half a semester would be
plenty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2011 2:23 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Mar 6, 11:57 pm, Steve wrote:
On 3/6/2011 6:05 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

sounds like a story. Not likely any codes people would allow it to
really happen.

Codes for the locations of walkways on a campus? There are none.
Sidewalks along a road are a different matter.

The main walkways and sidewalks would be put in, and then there would
be the waiting period for the mass of humanity to determine the most
efficient location for the walkways. You wouldn't have to wait years
to determine where to put the walkways. Half a semester would be
plenty.

Urban legend or not, I have read it enough different places to think it
has a kernal of truth in it. I lived in a big-10 college town for about
5 years, and still visit once in a while. Yes, kids are like cows- they
will walk the route they damn well please, unless a tall fence is in the
way. And growing up in construction, I know that if the customer can
live with it, it is best to wait till the following spring after final
grading, to pour thin slabs like sidewalks. Lets the ground settle down
after being disturbed.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

sounds like a story. Not likely any codes people would allow it to really
happen.

--
Steve Barker

I agree with Steve but the University of Kentucky does come back and add
sidewalks to popular paths on occasion.

Think about it. Think of the house keeping costs saved by keeping the mud
off the floors. Makes sense.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Urban legend or not, I have read it enough different places to think it
has a kernal of truth in it. I lived in a big-10 college town for about
5 years, and still visit once in a while. Yes, kids are like cows- they
will walk the route they damn well please, unless a tall fence is in the
way. And growing up in construction, I know that if the customer can
live with it, it is best to wait till the following spring after final
grading, to pour thin slabs like sidewalks. Lets the ground settle down
after being disturbed.

http://tinyurl.com/4okqopp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:30:14 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

I agree with Steve but the University of Kentucky does come back and add
sidewalks to popular paths on occasion.

Think about it. Think of the house keeping costs saved by keeping the mud
off the floors. Makes sense.

Colbyt

I can see a campus tree becoming a popular gathering spot and needing
paved paths leading to it.
Same with shortcuts.
That's why I paved a path from the front porch to the front of my
garage. There's a sidewalk from the porch to the main sidewalk, which
takes you to the driveway. But it's double the distance to walk.
I've had my eye on another possible paver path we trod quite a bit
because of the where my wife plants her flowers.
But since the grass shows no signs of real wear and we don't use it
when it's raining, I won't bother.

--Vic