Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can you solder a thrmal fuse in place?

Can you solder a thrmal fuse in place?

Someone gave me a disassembled sandwhich maker (heater). The
plastic/Bakelite? is broken where one of the four screws goes, but can
probably be fixed fine with PC-70.

The thermal fuse is burned out.

I have about 6 new thermal fuses of different sizes.

Can I solder the fuse in or must I crimp it?

In the past I've figured soldering would melt the fuse, but I haven't
had such good luck with crimping, probably because I don't have the
right sleeve or maybe not the right tool. With wire cutters, there's
a tendency to cut right through the whole thing, and with anything
duller, it's hard to squeeze hard enough.

Also, in the past the temp has burned off the melted fuse. What temp
would use for this small device, which I think just warms two slices
of bread. Would the amperage be a clue at all? The melting temp
of bread?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2011 11:22 AM, mm wrote:
[...]

All the thermal fuses I've seen were crimped on.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

I can't spec the temp of the fuse for your device, but yes, I always
solder in my thermal fuses; just did one the other day per another
thread. Of course, I've been soldering for a living for 25 years, so I
do the soldering in about 1 sec. If you fumble around with it you'll
cook the fuse.

BTW, using a low temp soldering iron, heat sinks, or other means to try
to keep from cooking the fuse are counterproductive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

You COULD, but why would you want to? Why don't you just put a 6ga. wire
shunt in there, and that should work .......................

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 11:32:39 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 3/2/2011 11:22 AM, mm wrote:
[...]

I have successfully soldered quite a few. Don't try it with a small
or low wattage iron though. I use a 250 watt weller gun - barely need
to touch it to get the solder melted - use aligator clips to hold it
in place and act as a heat sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 1:22*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

The ones with the pigtails can be soldered in just fine. Leave the
pigtails full length and hold the pigtail next to the body oy the
fuse with needle nose pliers to act as a heatsink.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 3/2/2011 11:22 AM, mm wrote:
[...]

in place and act as a heat sink.- Hide quoted text -

Yep more stuff has been burned up by using too small an iron that too
big .

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

You use a heat sink between the device and the solder joint. I use an
alligator clip.

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 6:07*pm, LSMFT wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

Ben Franklin-- Hide quoted text -

I service machines that use thermal fuses, warranty calls skyrocketed
when they tried soldered thermal fuses. They make work initially but
fail later/

the soldering heat stresses and damages the heat fuse.....

better to use a crimp connector, and you may find the thermal fuse
blew because the units thermostat is bad, which caused the fuse to blow
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote in
:

mm wrote:
Can you solder a thrmal fuse in place?

Someone gave me a disassembled sandwhich maker (heater). The
plastic/Bakelite? is broken where one of the four screws goes, but can
probably be fixed fine with PC-70.

The thermal fuse is burned out.

I have about 6 new thermal fuses of different sizes.

different TEMPERATURES,I hope.

the old thermal fuse should have the temp marked on it.
Probably in Centigrade.

Can I solder the fuse in or must I crimp it?

Crimp is best.

In the past I've figured soldering would melt the fuse, but I haven't
had such good luck with crimping, probably because I don't have the
right sleeve or maybe not the right tool. With wire cutters, there's
a tendency to cut right through the whole thing, and with anything
duller, it's hard to squeeze hard enough.

Also, in the past the temp has burned off the melted fuse. What temp
would use for this small device, which I think just warms two slices
of bread. Would the amperage be a clue at all? The melting temp
of bread?

You use a heat sink between the device and the solder joint. I use an
alligator clip.

I like hemostats.(surgical clamps) keep the fuse wires long.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

If I wanted to solder it, I would cool the fuse with a wet cloth, while
soldering.
However, the fuse is to protect against over heating, and a solder
contact failing before the fuse acted, could make a nice, fatal short
somewhere.
So you better crimp it. A sloppy crimp is better than a solder joint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 04:07:13 +0100, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

60/40 melts at 370F.
PB94B melts at 295C, or 563F.

Most thermal fuses are significantly less than 200C - the most common
is 167C - so you are NOT going to melt the solder - and I've seen a
lot of "crimped" connections done without the right tool that would
heat up under load enough to blow a thermal cutoff fuse if the
connection was on a thermal fuse. Particularly in solid wire, where
these units are very often installed.
Best DIY? Crimp and solder
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2011 5:20 PM, wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:07 pm, wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

A copy of something I posted about it in 2009:

The thermal fuses don't always use solder or more correctly a eutectic
alloy sensitive to a particular temperature. Many thermal fuses use a
set of contacts and a spring held in place by a thermoplastic resin
pellet which melts at a specific temperature allowing the spring pull
the contacts apart.

I've cut many of them apart just to see what's inside the darn things.

I always use little crimp connectors when replacing one shot thermal fuses.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

I use needle nose pliers as a heat absorber. Hold the pliers shut with a
rubber band on the handles/'''WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"WW" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen several heat sink suggestions, and I'll reiterate that I think
using one is counterproductive. Anything you do to increase the thermal
load on the iron is going to slow down the soldering speed. Hand
soldering works best at 800F, with tip size and technique optimized for
the job at hand to solder as quickly as possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:12:42 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"WW" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

With a 250 watt Weller no heat sink you could attach to the thermal
fuse is going to increase the time required to melt the solder on the
joint by a measurable amount, but a good heat sink will definitely
keep excessive heat from reaching the fuse.

I know the 250 watt iron is overkill, but nothing beats it for FAST.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:12:03 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:12:42 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"WW" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

You've all given me something to think about. Thanks.

I think I'll solder, with a heat sink far from the end of the wire to
be soldered and nearer the fuse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think I'll solder, with a heat sink far from the end of the wire to
be soldered and nearer the fuse.

One thing I was taught LONG ago with "heat sensitive" components was to use
ALL of the lead length AND put some kind of "heat sink" between the solder
joint and the component. A "hemostat" type clamp works just fine, thank
you.

Do that and your thermal fuse will not even get "warm to the touch" when you
install it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Who are you quoting, from long time ago?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...

I think I'll solder, with a heat sink far from the end of
the wire to
be soldered and nearer the fuse.

One thing I was taught LONG ago with "heat sensitive"
components was to use
ALL of the lead length AND put some kind of "heat sink"
between the solder
joint and the component. A "hemostat" type clamp works
just fine, thank
you.

Do that and your thermal fuse will not even get "warm to the
touch" when you
install it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 08:01:49 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've had good results, to take a common spade or ring
terminal lug. Cut the spade or ring off, and use the little
loop for a crimp connector.

I tried that years ago. I don't think it worked well for me. The
crimpable part was small enough to go into the fireproof woven white
tube, but not big enough to crimp well, at least not with the tools I
had.