Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

Old March 5th 11, 06:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.
Old March 5th 11, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:28:03 -0800 (PST), Tomas
wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops down the hose connector?
Old March 5th 11, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

wrote:

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Have you put oil in the gun? Several drops down the hose connector?

Or a critter built a nest in the air hole or exhaust? Mud daubers are
particularly bad about that around here; wouldn't be first time I'd have
found somesuch blockage...leaf cutters are great in the ends of the lawn
sprinkler at about the same hole diameter to lay eggs altho not correct
time of year for (assuming) NA.

Old March 5th 11, 08:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

--

Plenty of oil and it was stored in a sealed case. I took it apart and
replaced the seals, piston head and trigger valve. Everything appears
Old March 5th 11, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 11:19:55 -0800 (PST), Tomas
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

This is from the manual:

Failure to cycle

Air supply restriction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Check air supply
equipment

Tool dry, lack of lubrication . . . . . . . . . .Use BOSTITCH Air Tool
lubricant

Worn head valve O-rings . . . . . . . . . . . .Replace O-rings

Broken cylinder cap spring . . . . . . . . . .Replace cylinder cap
spring

Head valve stuck in cap . . . . . . . ..Disassemble/Check/Lubricate

If the O-rings are okay I would look at the spring, making sure it is
'seated' properly.

Let us know what you find out, please.
Old March 5th 11, 09:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have the brad gun that came with the Evolv compressor at Sears.
The combo was on sale for $59.99.
Nailer looks pretty much like your Bostitch.
Shot maybe 500 brads to put in trim and moulding.
Think I reloaded about 5 times.
Twice I had to pull the front off to clear a nail jam.
Clearing the jammed nail wasn't hard to figure out.
Twice I had to pull the top head because it wouldn't fire.
This thing came with no "naming of the parts" or fix-it guide.
All I did then was wiggle the piston. Didn't seem to be stuck and
hardly moved in the bore.
Figured the gun was just broke.
Put it together and it worked.
No idea why.
My son did that the first time it wouldn't fire, so the second time I
just did what he did. Figured if he was lucky I could be too.
But I was still surprised it worked after doing that.
I asked him how what he did had fixed it.
He said, "I dunno, but I do the same with my air tools at work"
So there ya go.

--Vic
Old March 5th 11, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2011 11:28 AM, Tomas wrote:
This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD
Old March 5th 11, 11:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:25:20 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD

You are correct. The one exception is if you pull back the little
safety do-hickey it will fire. Country boys have been known to shoot
at rabbits while standing on the roof.
Old March 5th 11, 11:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail
guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be
nailed.

TDD

You are correct. The one exception is if you pull back the little
safety do-hickey it will fire. Country boys have been known to shoot
at rabbits while standing on a roof.

Nail gun art: Mona Lisa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbwXUHRcrLE&feature=fvst

Old March 6th 11, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Tomas" wrote in message
This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed
warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every
seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I
press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does
not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've
seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away
last July, it worked.

I do not mean to insult but do you have the correct nails?

Also try turning down the pressure a bit. The manual for that model says:

quote
OPERATING PRESSU
70 to 100 p.s.i.g. (4.9 to 7.0 kg/cm2). Select the operating pressure within
this range for
best fastener performance.
DO NOT EXCEED THIS RECOMMENDED OPERATING PRESSURE.
/quote

Colbyt