Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains?

Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains? Specifically LED power supplies in commercially available domestic lamps. By in time, I don't mean at the same 50/60Hz, but anchored to it. I.e. if you have several such lamps each with their own built in supply, will they all flicker in time, using the mains frequency to keep them in time, or will they be random, making the room overall not flicker due to them all being random? And is there any way I can test this? I tried taking photos of them, but my camera only goes as fast as 1/2000th of a second, which shows all the lights at the same brightness each time, I suspect the flicker is above 2000Hz.
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

William Gothberg "William wrote

Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains?

No.

Specifically LED power supplies in commercially available domestic lamps.

None of mine flicker at all.

By in time, I don't mean at the same 50/60Hz, but anchored to it. I.e. if
you have several such lamps each with their own built in supply, will they
all flicker in time, using the mains frequency to keep them in time, or
will they be random, making the room overall not flicker due to them all
being random?

None of mine flicker at all.

And is there any way I can test this?

Yes, Get or make a strobe disk or use
one of the original LP disks that has
a strobe disk on it and see what it looks
like with the lights illuminating it. You'll
get it appearing to freeze when rotating
if the light level is varying in synch with
the mains frequency.

I tried taking photos of them, but my camera only goes as fast as 1/2000th
of a second, which shows all the lights at the same brightness each time,
I suspect the flicker is above 2000Hz.

Or they don't flicker at all. No reason why a proper
switched mode power supply needs to have any
AC component at all on its output. The cruder
ones may well do.

Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 11:51:35 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

They probably are fairly crude. I know they flicker, for example if I use my cordless drill, the chuck appears to spin the wrong way under the LED lighting.

But it's nothing like as low as 50Hz. What I want to know is if the higher frequency they're flickering at is anchored with the rise of the AC wave. I.e. will all the LED lights in the room flicker at precisely the same time, or will they be out of synch (due to tolerances in the circuitry of each PSU) and fudge the brightness together.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.electronics

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 11:56:43 -0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 19/12/2018 11:23, William Gothberg wrote:
Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains? Specifically
LED power supplies in commercially available domestic lamps.

Look at the infantile name of the poster,

It's just a name.

the crossposting,

To find more people who might know the answer.

the stupid question.

It's a perfectly sensible question, I want to know if with a lot of similar LED lights, if the whole room will experience flicker.

before ye answer, it's hucker again...

So what?
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 11:23:00 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson",
"Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.), the pathological
resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs, blathered again:

FLUSH the abnormal sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic
attention-baiting bull**** unread again

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

No its not.

I.e. will all the LED lights in the room flicker at precisely the same
time, or will they be out of synch (due to tolerances in the circuitry of
each PSU)

Due to it not being synched with the mains, actually.

and fudge the brightness together.

Its not a fudge, it's the lack of synch.

And you should be able to see that by watching
the chuck as you move the drill between lights.
The rate and direction of rotation should change.

Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 22:51:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

No.

Trust that senile Ozzietard Rot will be the first to run along and suck off
the Scottish ****** and attention whore again! LOL

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I meant if the PSUs were absolutely identical, and all the lights were switched on at the same time (with one lightswitch), they should remain in synch forever. But since there are tolerances in all the components in the PSUs, they won't stay in time.

and fudge the brightness together.

Its not a fudge, it's the lack of synch.

I didn't mean fudge, I meant smudge.

And you should be able to see that by watching
the chuck as you move the drill between lights.
The rate and direction of rotation should change.

Only if the frequency is different, which I doubt as they are all the same model. What I need is a way of detecting if they're flashing together.
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 23:28:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH the two prize idiots' endless idiotic drivel unread again

--
Typical retarded "conversation" between the Scottish ****** and senile
Ozzietard:

Birdbrain: "Horse **** doesn't stink."

Senile Rot: "It does if you roll in it."

Birdbrain: "I've never worked out why, I assumed it was maybe meateaters
that made stinky ****, but then why does vegetarian human **** stink? Is it
just the fact that we're capable of digesting meat?"

Senile Rot: "Nope, some cow **** stinks too."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only if the frequency is different, which I doubt as they are all the same model. What I need is a way of detecting if they're flashing together.

There are two possibilities.
1) The LEDS flicker at the line rate.
In this case they will probably all be in sync.

The LEDs flicker at the PSU switching rate.
In this case they will NOT be in sync. Switching power supplies are usually free running and the frequency will be drifting around. Even if they are the same model, component tolerances and temperature variations will mean they are on slightly different frequencies and there will be no defined phase relationship.

mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 9:22:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Only if the frequency is different, which I doubt as they are all the same model. What I need is a way of detecting if they're flashing together.

There are two possibilities.
1) The LEDS flicker at the line rate.
In this case they will probably all be in sync.

The LEDs flicker at the PSU switching rate.
In this case they will NOT be in sync. Switching power supplies are usually free running and the frequency will be drifting around. Even if they are the same model, component tolerances and temperature variations will mean they are on slightly different frequencies and there will be no defined phase relationship.

mark

+1

But I doubt the first mode is possible in a properly functioning switching
power supply. And AFAIK in a typical switching PS the latter never makes
it to the output and if it did, it would be so fast that you would not
be able to see it.

Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 12/19/18 5:23 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains?* Specifically
LED power supplies in commercially available domestic lamps.* By in
time, I don't mean at the same 50/60Hz, but anchored to it.* I.e. if you
have several such lamps each with their own built in supply, will they
all flicker in time, using the mains frequency to keep them in time, or
will they be random, making the room overall not flicker due to them all
being random?* And is there any way I can test this?* I tried taking
photos of them, but my camera only goes as fast as 1/2000th of a second,
which shows all the lights at the same brightness each time, I suspect
the flicker is above 2000Hz.

I once had an audio amplifier with a solar cell rather than a microphone
for the input transducer. This made it possible to listen to light. The
sun is steady, incandescent lights (AC powered) hum.

That was 40 years ago. Maybe something like that would work today.

--
6 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Do not thank God for what man does." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible
Worth Reading And Other Essays_, 1911]
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 12/19/18 6:01 AM, William Gothberg wrote:

[snip]

They probably are fairly crude.* I know they flicker, for example if I
use my cordless drill, the chuck appears to spin the wrong way under the
LED lighting.

I remember seeing that with a washing machine (under fluorescent
lights). As the tub was slowing down, the row of holes around the tub
would appear to reverse direction. Same thing with (spoked) wagon wheels
in movies.

[snip]

--
6 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Do not thank God for what man does." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible
Worth Reading And Other Essays_, 1911]
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Mark Lloyd wrote:

I once had an audio amplifier with a solar cell rather than a microphone
for the input transducer. This made it possible to listen to light. The
sun is steady, incandescent lights (AC powered) hum.

That was 40 years ago. Maybe something like that would work today.

Certainly if you connect a solar cell to an oscilloscope, you can see
the difference between

incandescent and LED GU10 lamps fed 240V mains

incandescent and LED MR16 lamps fed 12V from an electronic 'transformer'

a dimmer feeding either of the above.

Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:21:41 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 12/19/18 6:01 AM, William Gothberg wrote:

[snip]

They probably are fairly crude. I know they flicker, for example if I
use my cordless drill, the chuck appears to spin the wrong way under the
LED lighting.

I remember seeing that with a washing machine (under fluorescent
lights). As the tub was slowing down, the row of holes around the tub
would appear to reverse direction. Same thing with (spoked) wagon wheels
in movies.

It looks absolutely ridiculous with modern cars with LED headlights in films. How hard can it be to put a smoothing capacitor on the output of the power supply?
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:18:29 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[...]

The trouble is I want to compare 2kHz+ from one light with 2kHz+ from a neighbouring light and see if they're in sync.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/18 9:28 AM, Bubba wrote:

[snip]

Correct.Â* My strings of cheapo imported LED Christmas lights appear to
the naked eye to be on 100%.

A simple one would have the LEDs flashing at the powerline frequency
with a duty cycle of somewhat less than 50% (somewhat less considering
the time that the AC voltage is less than the LEDs threshold). Some
strings contain a full-wave rectifier so the frequency will be doubled
and the duty cycle almost (almost because of the diode voltage drops)
doubled (a little less than 100%).

Most of those strings I have have 50, 60, or 70 LEDs in two series, one
on each polarity. Both will not light at the same time (since they
require different polarities). I have tried it with a diode in series
with the string. Only one half lights. Reverse the diode and only the
other half lights. A string with a full-wave rectifier will light both
series (almost) all the time. The extra diode will give half brightness
(I have taken advantage of this for some tape lights that were too bright).

However, when viewed through my cheapo webcam, they appear on for 5
seconds, fade to off 2 seconds, off for 5 seconds, fade to on 2 seconds,
lather/rinse/repeat.

This is affected by frequencies in the camera. They do have interesting
interactions.

--
6 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Do not thank God for what man does." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible
Worth Reading And Other Essays_, 1911]
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.electronics

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:34:11 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 16:21:43 UTC, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/19/18 6:01 AM, William Gothberg wrote:

[snip]

They probably are fairly crude. I know they flicker, for example if I
use my cordless drill, the chuck appears to spin the wrong way under the
LED lighting.

I remember seeing that with a washing machine (under fluorescent
lights). As the tub was slowing down, the row of holes around the tub
would appear to reverse direction. Same thing with (spoked) wagon wheels
in movies.

You can also observe such things using a smartphone that has a high FPS rate for recodring movie.
I can see the labs lights flicker when I film at 240FPS standard 60 and everything seems fine.

Everybody seems to constantly cut corners. Lights should just be on, no flicker at all. ****ing annoying if you have decent eyesight, I can see the flicker from almost everyone's LED tail lights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.electronics

In article , "William
says...

[...]

Then stop looking at them.

Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Well the answer as in many things these days is it depends.
Some are very simple and do have a kind of pulsing taken from ripple on the
mains. Others seem to not do this, indeed poking a phototransistor connected
to an amplifier shows many different results. the same seems to go for CFLs
as well.
You would need to know what circuit they were using etc to figure out why.
One particular led in a stood across the road has a 1khz whine when point
the device at it but modulated onto a 100 hz buzz.

I often wonder if there is some jiggery pokery going on to drive leds hard
for split seconds to make them brighter.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news
Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains? Specifically
LED power supplies in commercially available domestic lamps. By in time,
I don't mean at the same 50/60Hz, but anchored to it. I.e. if you have
several such lamps each with their own built in supply, will they all
flicker in time, using the mains frequency to keep them in time, or will
they be random, making the room overall not flicker due to them all being
random? And is there any way I can test this? I tried taking photos of
them, but my camera only goes as fast as 1/2000th of a second, which shows
all the lights at the same brightness each time, I suspect the flicker is
above 2000Hz.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 11:35:06 AM UTC-5, William Gothberg wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:21:41 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 12/19/18 6:01 AM, William Gothberg wrote:

[snip]

They probably are fairly crude. I know they flicker, for example if I
use my cordless drill, the chuck appears to spin the wrong way under the
LED lighting.

I remember seeing that with a washing machine (under fluorescent
lights). As the tub was slowing down, the row of holes around the tub
would appear to reverse direction. Same thing with (spoked) wagon wheels
in movies.

It looks absolutely ridiculous with modern cars with LED headlights in films. How hard can it be to put a smoothing capacitor on the output of the power supply?

I've never noticed that. Any films come to mind? It seems especially
weird, since cars have a 12V supply with a big battery to smooth
anything out. I guess the power supply that reduces that to whatever
the LED headlights use though might have a switching power supply these
days too.

Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 12/19/2018 11:36 AM, William Gothberg wrote:
[...]

Maybe use a dual trace oscilloscope?

Since this landed in alt.home.repair, I gotta ask.* Do you have single-phase or two-phase?

Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

They never can be.

and all the lights were switched on at the same time (with one
lightswitch), they should remain in synch forever.

Nope, because the frequency at which the PSU works is entirely
determined by the component tolerances when it isnt operating
at 50Hz because it isnt a simple capacitance dropper.

But since there are tolerances in all the components in the PSUs,

Most of the components in the PSU don't determine the frequency
it operates at.

they won't stay in time.

They never will without an explicit design that keeps
the frequency in synch with the mains and there is no
point in the extra components to do that, so they don't.

The only exception is very simple capacitance droppers
that operate at mains frequency and the effect you are
getting with the drill chuck proves that yours arent that.

and fudge the brightness together.

Its not a fudge, it's the lack of synch.

I didn't mean fudge, I meant smudge.

And you should be able to see that by watching
the chuck as you move the drill between lights.
The rate and direction of rotation should change.

Only if the frequency is different, which I doubt as they are all the same
model.

The frequencys will be slightly different
because of component variation.

What I need is a way of detecting if they're flashing together.

Like I said, do the drill chuck thing with all the
lights on at night and move the drill between
lights relatively close to the lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile YANKIETARD Alert!

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:47:17 -0800 (PST), tardo_4 an especially stupid,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

I've never noticed that.

You ALSO never noticed that the sociopathic ****** keeps leading all you
senile Yankietards around by your stupid senile noses ...TIME and AGAIN!
tsk
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 10:18:29 -0600, Mark Lloyd, another mentally retarded,
troll-feeding, senile Yankietard, blathered:

I once had an audio amplifier with a solar cell

That's more cells than you have brain cells, troll-feeding senile idiot!
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 11:51:35 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

[...]

Yes I know. It was hypothetical.

and all the lights were switched on at the same time (with one
lightswitch), they should remain in synch forever.

Nope, because the frequency at which the PSU works is entirely
determined by the component tolerances when it isnt operating
at 50Hz because it isnt a simple capacitance dropper.

But since there are tolerances in all the components in the PSUs,

Most of the components in the PSU don't determine the frequency
it operates at.

they won't stay in time.

They never will without an explicit design that keeps
the frequency in synch with the mains and there is no
point in the extra components to do that, so they don't.

Which is what I thought.

The only exception is very simple capacitance droppers
that operate at mains frequency and the effect you are
getting with the drill chuck proves that yours arent that.

and fudge the brightness together.

Its not a fudge, it's the lack of synch.

I didn't mean fudge, I meant smudge.

And you should be able to see that by watching
the chuck as you move the drill between lights.
The rate and direction of rotation should change.

Only if the frequency is different, which I doubt as they are all the same
model.

The frequencys will be slightly different
because of component variation.

I would have thought so, so why is it that in my room with 10 such lights, I still get flicker. Shouldn't they fill in each other's gaps?

What I need is a way of detecting if they're flashing together.

Like I said, do the drill chuck thing with all the
lights on at night and move the drill between
lights relatively close to the lights.

Just did that and proved nothing. Clearly I get the same effect under every light, as they'll be pretty similar frequencies. I'm not going to be able to tell the difference between them with something as simple as a drill chuck. Presumably they're something like 1995 Hz, 2001 Hz, 2003 Hz, etc. All I can think of to prove it would be a higher speed camera so I can spot them being on at different times.
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 18:03:19 -0000, Clark W. Griswold wrote:

[...]

Haven't got one unfortunately.

Since this landed in alt.home.repair, I gotta ask. Do you have single-phase or two-phase?

Single. I'm in the UK.
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:03:19 -0500, Clark W. Griswold, another brain
damaged, troll-feeding, senile Yankietard, blathered:

Maybe use a dual trace oscilloscope?

Since this landed in alt.home.repair, I gotta ask.* Do you have single-phase or two-phase?

He to no brain, that's his problem! All he knows to do is how to bait the
senile Yanks on Usenet with his insipid trolls! Get a clue, Yankietard!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 17:47:17 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 11:35:06 AM UTC-5, William Gothberg wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:21:41 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 12/19/18 6:01 AM, William Gothberg wrote:

[snip]

They probably are fairly crude. I know they flicker, for example if I
use my cordless drill, the chuck appears to spin the wrong way under the
LED lighting.
I remember seeing that with a washing machine (under fluorescent
lights). As the tub was slowing down, the row of holes around the tub
would appear to reverse direction. Same thing with (spoked) wagon wheels
in movies.

It looks absolutely ridiculous with modern cars with LED headlights in films. How hard can it be to put a smoothing capacitor on the output of the power supply?

I've never noticed that. Any films come to mind?

A lot of Top Gear programs showing the DRLs of cars fitted with LEDs. With a feature film, they might take the time/trouble/money to do something to stop it.

It seems especially
weird, since cars have a 12V supply with a big battery to smooth
anything out. I guess the power supply that reduces that to whatever
the LED headlights use though might have a switching power supply these
days too.

AFAIK it's deliberate, making the LEDs operate brighter than they are capable of, but only 1/4 of the time. Our eyes just see the brightest part of the cycle, so we think they're four times brighter than the LED is really capable of, without overheating itself.
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 17:11:20 -0000, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered

Well the answer as in many things these days is it depends.

The ONLY right answer here is that HE's a dumb sociopathic troll and
attention whore, and YOU are a dumb mentally deficient troll-feeding senile
idiot!
Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 05:33:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another 126 lines of the two prize idiots' endless idiotic babble
unread

--
Another retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rot:

Senile Rot: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rot: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 2:36:55 PM UTC-5, William Gothberg wrote:
[...]

If that's the case, then many similar LEDs, eg house bulbs should be designed
the same way. Which means the pulsing is designed in, deliberate and
has nothing to do with the type of power supply or that the power comes from AC.
First time I've heard of this, but it's certainly possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 20:30:37 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

[...]

You'd think so.

Which means the pulsing is designed in, deliberate and
has nothing to do with the type of power supply or that the power comes from AC.
First time I've heard of this, but it's certainly possible.

The one's I've got I believe are not pulsed on purpose. I say this because one of them failed - it started flashing at about 3Hz. I fixed it by just putting a fairly large smoothing electrolytic capacitor on the output of the 70V DC PSU. It now operates (and has for a year) at the same brightness as the others without breaking the LEDs. And it's lovely and smooth - no high frequency flicker! If the others annoyed me enough, I'd take them all apart and fit capacitors. As it is I only actually notice the flicker if I move my line of vision rapidly across them, or I'm using something like a drill that's moving, and it appears to rotate the wrong way. But some car lights flicker slow enough that you see them, and also your eyes are moving about when driving anyway so you're more likely to see it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 12:30:37 -0800 (PST), tardo_4 an especially stupid,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

First time I've heard of this, but it's certainly possible.

Most likely also the last time, you troll-feeding asshole! G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 11:36:48 AM UTC-5, William Gothberg wrote:
[...]

it is very unlikely that they will be in sync.
mark

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.electronics

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 21:33:32 -0000, wrote:

[...]

Agreed. All I can detect (with my digital camera) is that one brand of LED light I have flickers about 5 times less (not sure if it's smother or faster) than the others. It's also the brand that lasts longer, probably better designed overall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.electronics

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:45:29 -0000, Snicker wrote:

In article , "William
says...

[...]

I value the front of my car.