Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Noble

Default Touch up eggshell paint

I primed and applied two coats of a nice blue Ben Moore eggshell latex to
some walls. Subsequently I noticed some spots that needed a little touch-up.
No problem, plenty of paint left. So I got out a brush and painted over a
few spots. I was quite surprised when that dried, to find that the
touched-up spots came out significantly paler than everywhere else.Asked
back at the friendly paint store, where I was told that "oh yes, eggshell
always does that. You can't touch up an eggshell finish -- you can only
repaint the whole wall". He seemed surprised I didn't know that. Well I had
no idea, and I've never had this kind of problem before.

So, is that correct, and if so is there no other recourse? Is it worth
trying with a roller (on the grounds that that's how the first two coats
were applied)? I don't want to make it any worse. And, if is it correct,
what's the "true" color of the paint -- the original, which I rather liked,
or the conspicuous lighter spots, which I don't like as well?

Any observations welcome,

....Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

Try a roller. I have a small one for touch up jobs. If you originally
used a roller, you should touch up with a roller. A brush can cause
some visible differences in the finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Robert Noble wrote:
[...]

The touched up area was paler? Sounds like you
didn't get the paint mixed well when you touch up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

it is always been my understanding that eggshell is nearly impossible
to touch up. that is a big advantage of flat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Donald Mac Donald

with flat you can wash it !!!! mike piper got the best way to fix it up
"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
it is always been my understanding that eggshell is nearly impossible
to touch up. that is a big advantage of flat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jeffc

"Robert Noble" wrote in message
news
I primed and applied two coats of a nice blue Ben Moore eggshell latex to
some walls. Subsequently I noticed some spots that needed a little
touch-up.
No problem, plenty of paint left. So I got out a brush and painted over a
few spots. I was quite surprised when that dried, to find that the
touched-up spots came out significantly paler than everywhere else.Asked
back at the friendly paint store, where I was told that "oh yes, eggshell
always does that. You can't touch up an eggshell finish -- you can only
repaint the whole wall". He seemed surprised I didn't know that.

No, that's ridiculous. What surprises me is the crap some of these supposed
experts will say. You can, in fact, touch up eggshell paint, although some
care is required. It is the sheen, not the color, that can cause problems.
Brush marks look different from roller, so you must either use a mini roller
to touch up, or "dab" the paint on with the the "pointy" end of the
bristles. It sounds like your paint was not completely mixed, or you got
some of the white base (perhaps around the lid) mixed in with the paint, or
the paint was not colored properly to begin with for all gallons. If you
have more than one gallon, try some paint from the other gallon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jeffc

"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
it is always been my understanding that eggshell is nearly impossible
to touch up. that is a big advantage of flat.

It's true that flat is easier than more glossy finishes, but by no means
does it mean it can't be touched up. If so, no one would ever be able to
touch up semi gloss trim, and the like. Ridiculous.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

jeffc wrote:
"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...

it is always been my understanding that eggshell is nearly impossible
to touch up. that is a big advantage of flat.

It's true that flat is easier than more glossy finishes, but by no means
does it mean it can't be touched up. If so, no one would ever be able to
touch up semi gloss trim, and the like. Ridiculous.

I agree. I use mostly semi-gloss outside and
inside but my walls are textured. I have touched
up yellow after several years (woodgrain,
pressboard siding) and couldn't tell the touch up
from the rest. Last fall I touched up some bad
areas of gray and you couldn't tell where I added
paint. I use a brush on outside work.

Inside my walls are a heavy knock-down, so that
helps and we use mostly light colors but one
bedroom is blue. No one can tell where I have
added paint on either the walls or the trim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mikepier, anthony b wrote:
Ive been painting 17 years so.e colkrs you can get away with watering it down
and touching up...and you dont have to reroll whole wall use a 9inch 3/8
whitedove nap and roll from base to top about 12 to 16 inch wide with a nice 6
to 7 inch feather.again depends on color. And what level is your drywall and
what level of paint are you trying to achieve?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-102745-.htm