How To Cut Out A Door Hinge Recess W/O A Router

Old February 25th 11, 03:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Default How To Cut Out A Door Hinge Recess W/O A Router

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?
Old February 25th 11, 03:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:35:36 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

Any suggestions?

Rawhide mallet and a wood chisel

Maybe just a sharp wood chisel?

YMMV
Old February 25th 11, 04:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

I've used wood chisels for that, but never for rounded corners.
A quick google found this. Might do for your Dremel.
Wish I had to do that. Good excuse for more Dremel stuff.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6715652_use-...or-hinges.html

--Vic

Old February 25th 11, 04:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 7:35 PM Ron spake thus:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Chisels and a knife. Sharp. Cut the straight edges first with a chisel.
Scribe the corners with a knife. (A fresh utility blade knife works
fine.) Hog out the waste with chisel(s).

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Old February 25th 11, 04:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 10:35 PM, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Any large hobby store will have rounded woodcarving chisels. For a
one-time use, I would use a sharp chisel to cut the straight parts, and
a fresh blade in a utility knife or exacto to cut the corner curves. Use
the sharp knife to score around the hinge to mark your cut lines. Unless
the doorframe is hardwood, you can actually make the shallow cuts with a
knife, and just use a sharp chisel to hog out the field. Make score cuts
with chisel or knife to control the depth, and the other parts should
just pop right out. It doesn't need to be perfect work as long as there
are no high spots- the hinge will cover it.

If all this sounds scary, practice on a scrap piece of the same wood
until you get the technique down. I haven't done it in twenty years, but
would have no hesitation at doing it right now.

--
aem sends....
Old February 25th 11, 06:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 9:35 PM, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Nice sharp hand chisel.

--
Steve Barker
Old February 25th 11, 06:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

On Feb 24, 11:50*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 2/24/2011 10:35 PM, Ron wrote:

[...]

Thanks....will take yours and the others advice about using a chisel
and utility knife. I had already practiced on a piece of wood earlier
but didn't think to make any scores (Duh).
Old February 25th 11, 07:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 11:03 PM spake thus:

Personally I never understood why they make hinges with round corners
anyhow....

Can you say "router" and "template"?

Old February 25th 11, 07:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 3:35*am, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

If you examine your hing you will probably find that the screwholes
are at the centres of the radius on the cornerscorners. CLUE! :-)

If you get one of the flat wood drills of the same radius as the
corners of the hinges you can use this., Offer up the hinge into
position and mark the screw holes. This is where the spike in the
centre of the drill goes. Dril to the depth require (say 1/8"?). Cut
out the rest with a mallet & chisel. Or use a hammer if you're a
redneck.
The spike on the drill makes a nice pilot hole for the fixing screws
in exactly the right position.
Old February 25th 11, 08:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Change the hinges to square cornered ones. *They are not that
expensive. *

Or chisel out square or as close as you can to the rounded corners and
use a little wood putty to fill in any imperfections. *Once the door
is installed, you'll never look at the hinges again. *

Personally I never understood why they make hinges with round corners
anyhow.... *

One final note, they do sell some jigs that are made for both round
and square cornered hinges. *You just drive them into the wood, and
chiesl out inside of the outline. *But they are costly. *Square hinges
are much cheaper.

The reason they make them is they are quicker easier and more accurate
to fit with tools you probably already have to hand.