Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default How To Cut Out A Door Hinge Recess W/O A Router

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:35:36 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

Any suggestions?

Rawhide mallet and a wood chisel

Maybe just a sharp wood chisel?

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

I've used wood chisels for that, but never for rounded corners.
A quick google found this. Might do for your Dremel.
Wish I had to do that. Good excuse for more Dremel stuff.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6715652_use-...or-hinges.html

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 7:35 PM Ron spake thus:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Chisels and a knife. Sharp. Cut the straight edges first with a chisel.
Scribe the corners with a knife. (A fresh utility blade knife works
fine.) Hog out the waste with chisel(s).

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 10:35 PM, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Any large hobby store will have rounded woodcarving chisels. For a
one-time use, I would use a sharp chisel to cut the straight parts, and
a fresh blade in a utility knife or exacto to cut the corner curves. Use
the sharp knife to score around the hinge to mark your cut lines. Unless
the doorframe is hardwood, you can actually make the shallow cuts with a
knife, and just use a sharp chisel to hog out the field. Make score cuts
with chisel or knife to control the depth, and the other parts should
just pop right out. It doesn't need to be perfect work as long as there
are no high spots- the hinge will cover it.

If all this sounds scary, practice on a scrap piece of the same wood
until you get the technique down. I haven't done it in twenty years, but
would have no hesitation at doing it right now.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 9:35 PM, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Nice sharp hand chisel.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Feb 24, 11:50*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 2/24/2011 10:35 PM, Ron wrote:

[...]

Thanks....will take yours and the others advice about using a chisel
and utility knife. I had already practiced on a piece of wood earlier
but didn't think to make any scores (Duh).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 3:35*am, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

If you examine your hing you will probably find that the screwholes
are at the centres of the radius on the cornerscorners. CLUE! :-)

If you get one of the flat wood drills of the same radius as the
corners of the hinges you can use this., Offer up the hinge into
position and mark the screw holes. This is where the spike in the
centre of the drill goes. Dril to the depth require (say 1/8"?). Cut
out the rest with a mallet & chisel. Or use a hammer if you're a
redneck.
The spike on the drill makes a nice pilot hole for the fixing screws
in exactly the right position.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Change the hinges to square cornered ones. *They are not that
expensive. *

Or chisel out square or as close as you can to the rounded corners and
use a little wood putty to fill in any imperfections. *Once the door
is installed, you'll never look at the hinges again. *

Personally I never understood why they make hinges with round corners
anyhow.... *

One final note, they do sell some jigs that are made for both round
and square cornered hinges. *You just drive them into the wood, and
chiesl out inside of the outline. *But they are costly. *Square hinges
are much cheaper.

The reason they make them is they are quicker easier and more accurate
to fit with tools you probably already have to hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2011 11:54 PM harry spake thus:

If you examine your hing you will probably find that the screwholes
are at the centres of the radius on the cornerscorners. CLUE! :-)

Harry, old man, you're not only a Brit twit, but also an idiot who loves
to shoot off his mouth half-cocked.

I just checked, and the rounded-corner hinges I have definitely do *not*
have the mounting holes at the center of the corner radii. Maybe this is
true of your quaint Brit hinges, but not ours over here. So your
suggestion is worthless.

If you get one of the flat wood drills of the same radius as the
corners of the hinges you can use this., Offer up the hinge into
position and mark the screw holes. This is where the spike in the
centre of the drill goes. Dril to the depth require (say 1/8"?).

Even if the screw hole were at the center of the corner radius, this
method is guaranteed to result in grossly oversize holes for the screws
because of the rather wide point of the spade-bit drill. The screws'll
just fall right out.

Cut out the rest with a mallet & chisel. Or use a hammer if you're a
redneck.

Redneck? Excuse me--that's the way I cut all my hinge mortises, the good
old-fashioned way, and they sure don't look like any redneck woodbutcher
cut them. Just because you can't do them ...

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote in :

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Google Butt Marker. Mark then chisel as suggested. Probably have to do
some digging to find rounded corner one.

http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/...er-614435.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

Ron wrote in
:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Google Butt Marker. Mark then chisel as suggested. Probably have to do
some digging to find rounded corner one.

http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/...utt-markers/bu
tt-marker-614435.aspx

p.s. Pick up a Vix bit while your there.....ehhh RicodJour :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 8:32*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Well we do things properly over here.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33469/...ges/Fire-Door-
Hinges/Load-Pro-Heavy-Duty-Lift-Off-Door-Hinge-98mm-Anti-Clockwise-
Pack-of-3

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

[...]

How you figure? Square hinge requires only pencil, chisel, hammer.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Trace around the hinge with a razor knife to the desired depth and then use a
small width sharp chisel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 24, 9:35*pm, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Simple. Find a piece of pipe, tubing, EMT, whatever, of the right (or
close) diameter. Sharpen the end on your grinder and you have a neat
round chisel for the corners.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 12:32*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Has Harry _ever_ posted anything that was good?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 6:14*pm, Joe wrote:
On Feb 24, 9:35*pm, Ron wrote:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Simple. Find a piece of pipe, tubing, EMT, whatever, of the right (or
close) diameter. Sharpen the end on your grinder and you have a neat
round chisel for the corners.

Joe

Nope. The taper on the end would be backwards for a good job. You
would have gto sharpen the _inside_ of the tube for it to make a neat
fit.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2011 9:40 PM Harry K spake thus:

On Feb 25, 6:14 pm, Joe wrote:

On Feb 24, 9:35 pm, Ron wrote:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I
need to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't
have a router.

Any suggestions?

Simple. Find a piece of pipe, tubing, EMT, whatever, of the right
(or close) diameter. Sharpen the end on your grinder and you have a
neat round chisel for the corners.

Nope. The taper on the end would be backwards for a good job. You
would have gto sharpen the _inside_ of the tube for it to make a neat
fit.

True dat.

Plus mild steel doesn't exactly make the best cutting tools. But I
suppose it would work well enough for a one-time thing in soft wood.

I made a pair of similar tools that would actually be more suitable for
this task out of a couple of old screwdrivers someone had tossed out. I
ground the shafts into curved-chisel shapes, one convex, the other
concave. (This was for cutting out index-tab cards out of illustration
board; one light rap with a hammer and I got perfect round corners,
internal and external).

But really, for most door hinges, as long as you're not working on a
historic Georgian mansion or whatnot, just scribing the corners with a
knife works fine.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 5:28*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
0600, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:56:23 -0500, Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

Personally I never understood why they make hinges with round corners
anyhow.... *

So a router bit will do all the work. * No chisel necessary.

Jim

Ok, I understand now. *That's ALL they are made for then. *I have a
router but I've always chiseled them by hand. *Just seems like too
much work to use a router and get it straight. *This ten means that to
do the job by hand, DO NOT use round cornered hinges.

For a door every few years I would stick with square hinges and a
*good*, *sharp* chisel. * * If you're looking at 2-3 doors on a job,
spend some time shopping for a hinge template for that router.

It takes some care to set up- [and all are not created equal]- but
when you finally fire it up and everything fits perfectly, they are
worth it.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Yep. I have screwed up more jambs and doors trying to 'freehand' with
a router. But then paint does a wonder on covering slips and if too
bad a bit of spackle or tapeing mud will do it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 10:35*pm, Ron wrote:
Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Put the door in place held there by the hinges you didnt replace.
Place the hinge you are working on in place held there by the hinge
pin. Trace around the hinge with a razor knife scoring
deeply( thickness of hinge). Remove door and carve out pocket with
hammer and chisel.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cutting out for round cornered hinges is no more difficult than the
square one. Use your hinge as a template and score around the hinge to
the depth of the hinge. Piece of cake.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jim Elbrecht, Jim wrote:
As usual, I bought a $32 new door to replace an existing door, that had
rounded hinges. So I want to use the hinges I have, being basically a cheap
skate. I don't want to buy an expensive router to install three hinges. I
saw where you can get something called a butt plate that you hit with a hammer
to make the cuts, but they apparently only come for square cornered hinges.
So I will use the advice above and hand cut the curved corners.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-623058-.htm