removing "paint scrape" from our car

Old February 19th 11, 12:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing "paint scrape" from our car

My wife ran up against the painted wooden edge of our garage door
while backing out the car. Now we have a scraped bright green against
our dark grey, which shows up quite a bit.

I used a lot of elbow grease, plus some soap & water, hoping that it
might just be water based paint that would come off somewhat easily. It
didn't work. Then I tried mineral spirits, hoping that might take it off.

Most of the paint is on a plastic or rubber "bump guard", but a small
amount of it is on the actual driver side door.

Anyone have any suggestions on other concoctions that I might try to
get it off?

Thanks!
Old February 19th 11, 12:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 7:32 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
My wife ran up against the painted wooden edge of our garage door
while backing out the car. Now we have a scraped bright green against
our dark grey, which shows up quite a bit.

I used a lot of elbow grease, plus some soap & water, hoping that it
might just be water based paint that would come off somewhat easily. It
didn't work. Then I tried mineral spirits, hoping that might take it off.

Most of the paint is on a plastic or rubber "bump guard", but a small
amount of it is on the actual driver side door.

Anyone have any suggestions on other concoctions that I might try to get
it off?

Some kind of a soft abrasive. You have a balance between taking off
the paint and scratching/dulling the finish of the car.

Try a scrubby sponge. Or perhaps try Goof Off. If that doesn't work
you'll need to polish the mark off. In the home: toothpaste. At the auto
parts sto rubbing and buffing compound.

Jeff

Thanks!

Old February 19th 11, 01:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 6:59*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

What Jeff said is exactly what I would recommend
Old February 19th 11, 01:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2011 08:06 AM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 19, 6:59 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

"scrubby sponge" will likely destroy the car's paint (usually they are
some flavor of scotchbrite.)

I would use polishing compound from your FLAPS followed by wax of
choice. If you don't have any and don't want to buy any for whatever
reason, Bon Ami on a damp sponge may work in a pinch.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 19th 11, 01:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 7:32 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
My wife ran up against the painted wooden edge of our garage door while
backing out the car. Now we have a scraped bright green against our dark
grey, which shows up quite a bit.

I used a lot of elbow grease, plus some soap & water, hoping that it
might just be water based paint that would come off somewhat easily. It
didn't work. Then I tried mineral spirits, hoping that might take it off.

Most of the paint is on a plastic or rubber "bump guard", but a small
amount of it is on the actual driver side door.

Anyone have any suggestions on other concoctions that I might try to get
it off?

Thanks!

I did the same trick while cleaning snow off my pretty little silver
Toyota....used the handle of my broom to push some ice off the bottom of
the driver side window and left a streak of blue paint on the door. I
suspect it merged with the clear-coat. Got a little of it off with
finger nail.
Old February 19th 11, 01:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 7:32 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
My wife ran up against the painted wooden edge of our garage door while
backing out the car. Now we have a scraped bright green against our dark
grey, which shows up quite a bit.

I used a lot of elbow grease, plus some soap & water, hoping that it
might just be water based paint that would come off somewhat easily. It
didn't work. Then I tried mineral spirits, hoping that might take it off.

Most of the paint is on a plastic or rubber "bump guard", but a small
amount of it is on the actual driver side door.

Anyone have any suggestions on other concoctions that I might try to get
it off?

Thanks!

One of those green scrub pads, like you probably have in your kitchen,
used dry. You'll probably have to touch up the clear-coat with a spray
can, though. Wipe down the area with something to remove the wax and
dust before you do so.

If your wife is challenged by narrow spaces like that, you may wanna add
a strip of some non-marring plastic material to that edge of door frame,
or replace the entire stop strip around the doorframe with one of the
plastic alternatives that provide a better weather seal anyway. I think
they only come in white, though.

Not criticizing your wife, by the way. I've scuffed the RH mirror on my
van a couple times, backing out without paying enough attention. It
swings out of the way, but it still scuffs the paint.

--
aem sends...
Old February 19th 11, 02:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 7:32*am, Ohioguy wrote:

* *Anyone have any suggestions on other concoctions that I might try to
get it off?

I'd first try a little enamel reducer, probably wipe right off. Clean
off the reducer with water so any remnants don't sit there and attack
your paint.

Or, a paste wax such as Turtle contains light abrasives that should/
might work with a little (or a lot of) elbow grease.

Or, a body shop might take care of it in 15 minutes for $20-25.

When I worked at a dealership body shop, a long time ago, we'd do crap
like that for nothing for customers.
-----

- gpsman
Old February 19th 11, 02:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 9:12*am, gpsman wrote:
On Feb 19, 7:32*am, Ohioguy wrote:

* *Anyone have any suggestions on other concoctions that I might try to
get it off?

I'd first try a little enamel reducer, probably wipe right off. *Clean
off the reducer with water so any remnants don't sit there and attack
your paint.

Or, a paste wax such as Turtle contains light abrasives that should/
might work with a little (or a lot of) elbow grease.

Or, a body shop might take care of it in 15 minutes for $20-25.

When I worked at a dealership body shop, a long time ago, we'd do crap
like that for nothing for customers.
*-----

- gpsman

If it's latex paint, go to HD, paint shop, or local hardware store and
look
for a product specifically designed to remove latex paint. I had the
exact
same thing happen to my car and that's what I did. It only loosens
latex.
I just applied it with a paper towel, waited a few minutes and the
whole
thing wiped right off with a rag., no rubbing at all and no abrasion
that
you'd get from more aggressive methods.
Old February 19th 11, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 8:31 AM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Green pads would be brutal...I'd try a magic eraser before I'd use the
3M green scrubber.

If your wife is challenged by narrow spaces like that, you may wanna add
a strip of some non-marring plastic material to that edge of door frame,
or replace the entire stop strip around the doorframe with one of the
plastic alternatives that provide a better weather seal anyway. I think
they only come in white, though.

Not criticizing your wife, by the way. I've scuffed the RH mirror on my
van a couple times, backing out without paying enough attention. It
swings out of the way, but it still scuffs the paint.

When my parents built a new home, my mom marked the center of the garage
to aim for....took some nylon line, suspended a tennis ball on it and
hung it from the garage ceiling. The ball was at the point where the
hood ornament was when the car was in the right spot.
Old February 19th 11, 03:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote the following:
[...]

Hood ornament? Was this a 1970s car?

--

Bill