djay

Default stucco fogging?

All,

I was out talking to my neighbor tonight (he's a concrete contractor) about
painting my stucco. I told him I was going to "paint" the stucco the same
color etc. He asked me, "why don't you just fog it?" He says that
"fogging" is just using the colorant to "stain" the existing stucco. We
looked over the house and I think (he agrees) that I just need a corner or
two touched up before painting/staining. The rest of the house is in "very
good" stucco condition. But I'm perplexed.

Until tonight I'd never heard of just spraying the colorant over the stucco.
Have any of you heard of this? Tried it? What is your experience. He
claims that once you paint the stucco that it will forever require
additional paint, but that the colorant just stains the existing stucco and
actually you can change the color every few years if you want.

I will say that he just did his house and it looks great. Again have any of
you had experience with this?????????

Thanks,

DJay

Travis Jordan

djay wrote:
Until tonight I'd never heard of just spraying the colorant over the
stucco. Have any of you heard of this?

/FAIR USE/
Fog coat is a fine-powdered, cementitious product composed of portland
cement, lime and mineral pigments used to help in the repair of stucco
discoloration. The product is mixed with water and then spray-applied to
the stucco which is then absorbed by suction into the stucco. Unlike
paint, which covers the stucco surface only, fog coat blends into and
becomes a part of the stucco.
Although it can be used on almost all stucco textures and surfaces, fog
coat is not always a standard procedure in the application of a color
coat. Additionally, fog coat will not solve stucco appearance problems
that are the result of texture irregularities. For instance, in a sand
float finish the aggregate is floated in different directions which
produces variations in the appearance that are not correctable by fog
coating. Smooth and similar type textures are not ideal candidates for
fogging because the suction has been minimized; therefore the fog coat
may not adhere as well as it would on other textures. Fog coat on some
textures may leave a chalky residue which does not destroy the integrity
of the product. Fog coat should never be applied to painted or sealed
stucco surfaces.

Another item to be aware of is that most stucco surfaces have very
subtle variations in the color, which adds to the character of stucco.
By applying fog coat, a uniform color will be created which may give the
appearance of paint rather than natural stucco. If the intention of
fogging is for concealing stains on the stucco, fogging may not entirely
cover extremely dark stains.

Applying extremely dark stucco colors on a building is not recommended
because most manufacturers will not produce fog coat for a dark color.
Since that is the case, this Association recommends that the plastering
contractor provide notice to the client informing then that fog coat may
not he available and that any color discrepancies, whether caused by
normal stucco application or otherwise, will not he repairable. Because
there are many factors which dictate the shade of stucco color (see
technical bulletin #7), fog coat is subject to these same factors and
rarely will come formulated to match the exact color on any given
building.

Fog coat is not an exact science and should not be expected to produce a
perfect stucco surface. This Association does not recon fogging unless
the possible results, such as the ones noted above, are more tolerable
than the currently existing condition.

© Associated Plastering and Lathing Contractors, 2003

RicodJour

Travis Jordan wrote:
djay wrote:
Until tonight I'd never heard of just spraying the colorant over the
stucco. Have any of you heard of this?

/FAIR USE/
Fog coat is a fine-powdered, cementitious product composed of portland
cement, lime and mineral pigments used to help in the repair of stucco

{snip}

=A9 Associated Plastering and Lathing Contractors, 2003

That technical bulletin was pretty negative. I probably wouldn't have
been surprised if I had known the source when I started reading it.
Anything that eliminates a lot of work for a trade union is going to
get slammed.

SQLit

"djay" wrote in message
[...]

After reading the supplied tech bulletin. It sounds to me like your going to
have to hire the fog to be done. You can do the painting yourself.

Painting stucco is done every day in the Southwest, specifically Phoenix.
Yes paint on stucco fades eventually. New homes ( over green stucco ) need
painted again in 3-5 years, and then about every 10 or so after that.

Travis Jordan

RicodJour wrote:
That technical bulletin was pretty negative. I probably wouldn't have
been surprised if I had known the source when I started reading it.
Anything that eliminates a lot of work for a trade union is going to
get slammed.

What makes you think this has anything to do with trade unions?

G Henslee

djay wrote:
[...]

It's generally called a "dash coat" and it's the final application in a
traditional 3 coat stucco job. If the walls have been painted, the
dasher will have to apply Weldcrete or other bonderizer prior to
spraying the dash. Dash is nice. It fills the cracks also. It's
available in bags at stucco supply outlets.

You can do this yourself with a hand held hopper. One of these.
http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/Wal...s.php#aWB56020

But it's a ton of work like that and will take some time and a helper or
two. Plus you'll need to cover all the shrubs, bushes, etc. Most folks
hire a plasterer who arrives with crew, cover material, and a dash
machine which is a larger hopper for mixing the dash and incorporates
spray hoses and wands.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PR PR is offline

replying to djay, PR wrote:

[...]

I was looking at your post and question, I'm not sure how old this post is
but I would like to answer your question. I have had my home fogged and I
can attest that it really is better then painting!!! It lasts and yes you
can change colors whenever you want, I prefer getting the house fogged
rather then painted!!! We had a contractor that originally did it but
since then he has moved out of the state and we are having difficulty
finding someone that does stucco fogging! I'm in the Los Angeles
California area, do you know of anyone in my area that does stucco
fogging????? I have called the local painters in my area and none of them
seem to even know what fogging is! Is this a lost art, can someone please
help with some suggestions as to where I can find someone that does
fogging, I appreciate your input.

Thank You
PR

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ing-64050-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:44:01 +0000, PR
wrote:

replying to djay, PR wrote:

[...]

You are trying to hire the wrong people. Painting contractors paint.
Call a stucco company - preferably a stucco restoration company.

Google it. LeHabra, Expo, and Kenyon all come up several times - along
with close to a dozen others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, Shirin wrote:
Can you share who you hired to restore your stucco to do fogging. I am in
Los Angles area and looking for a good and reasonable one.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ing-64050-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 May 2017 20:44:06 GMT, Shirin
m wrote:

replying to clare, Shirin wrote:
Can you share who you hired to restore your stucco to do fogging. I am in
Los Angles area and looking for a good and reasonable one.

Clare may have a company name in Canada. Have you checked into a
company in Lost Angeles? How old is this Home Groaner Moaner Hub
thread?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2017 04:44 PM, Shirin wrote:
replying to clare, Shirin wrote:
Can you share who you hired to restore your stucco to do fogging. I
am in
Los Angles area and looking for a good and reasonable one.

I think his name was Pedro Gonzales