Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

As a refrigeration repair guy. I've actually had this
conversation:

Customer: This one needs six pounds of freon, and this one
needs eight pounds.
Me: Well, lets check things out. See what's going on in
there.
Customer: Just add the freon like I said.
Me: The system holds two pounds at best. I couldn't fit six
pounds in, if I tried.
Customer: The last guy added six pounds.
Me: (goes to van, gets catalog) the receiver on this unit
holds 1.3 pounds, the rest of the system wouldn't hold more
than a couple ounces.
Customer: Well, you gonna add the freon or not?

I found the system loaded with air, but he wouldn't let me
pump it out and vacuum out the air. Just wanted me to add
six pounds to this one, and eight pounds to the other one.
The freezer I'd worked on the day before had bad piston, on
two cylinder compressor. But he wouldn't hear of a
compressor replacement. Just wanted more pounds of freon.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On 2011-02-08, LSMFT wrote:

Thank the EPA for taking away our adjusting screws.
Everything is built
for morons these days.

It's the larger market share.

Worse than "morons" are the "I'm right" morons, those morons
who are
positive they have the problem figured and nothing will
dissuade them.
When I was a motorcycle mechanic, use to get those types
coming in all
the time.

"It's the carburetor!"
"Well, in the case of a 2-stroke...."
"It's the carburetor!"
"It's been my experience it could also be...."
"It's the carburetor!"
.....etc

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 23:29:52 -0500, LSMFT wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 19:59:43 -0500, wrote:

Taylor wrote:

My snow blower has a Briggs& Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt Snow"
horizontal engine. It has always need a little choke to run smoothly
after it warms up. With no choke it runs, but stumbles slightly. With
one click it is a bit smoother, and with two clicks it runs the
smoothest. More than that, there is too much choke and the engine will die.

Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the carburetor/jet, I
replaced the whole carb with a new one. The result is exactly the same.

I have fresh gas, use Sta-Bil, etc. I'm not overly worried about it, I
just use two clicks of choke for best power.

However, I suspect that I'm not getting the full 7.5 hp with the choke
restricting air intake. I'm also curious what the problem is. A
repairman said that all engines are tuned lean due to EPA rules. Of
course there is no way to adjust the mixture.

Any ideas what causes this? Is the repairman right about the mixture set
overly lean on purpose?

Find the fuel adjustment screw. Open it just a touch.

Real good idea, except that particular carb/engine doesn't have one.

Same on a motorcycle. You have to drill out some metal to get at the
adjustment screw.

No, unlike the motorcycle, and early emission carbs on cars, there IS
NO SCREW. Get that through your head. NO ADJUSTABLE JET.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 05:59:51 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"LSMFT" wrote

Find the fuel adjustment screw. Open it just a touch.
Real good idea, except that particular carb/engine doesn't have one.

Same on a motorcycle. You have to drill out some metal to get at the
adjustment screw.

The Tecumseh service book points out they now use a different jet instead of
adjusting screw. Nothing to drill. I suspect Briggs and others use the same
system.

The jet can still be drilled. But it is not a simple job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-02-08, LSMFT wrote:

Thank the EPA for taking away our adjusting screws. Everything is built
for morons these days.

It's the larger market share.

Worse than "morons" are the "I'm right" morons, those morons who are
positive they have the problem figured and nothing will dissuade them.
When I was a motorcycle mechanic, use to get those types coming in all
the time.

"It's the carburetor!"
"Well, in the case of a 2-stroke...."
"It's the carburetor!"
"It's been my experience it could also be...."
"It's the carburetor!"
....etc

nb

Well, since it is a 4 stroke, it's not a leaky crankshaft seal, at
least.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:38:55 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Next, will be non polluting electric snow blowers.

They call them "electric snow shovels"- and larger "electric blowers"
(single stage) have been around since the late sixties.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-02-05, Taylor wrote:
horizontal engine. It has always need a little choke to run smoothly
after it warms up.

Looks like B&S has excellent online product support. I'd start he

http://tinyurl.com/45oq9x4

Note the "Carburetion Troubleshooting Quick Reference Guide (PDF)." in
2nd paragraph down.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 05:59:51 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

?
"LSMFT" wrote

Find the fuel adjustment screw. Open it just a touch.
Real good idea, except that particular carb/engine doesn't have one.
Same on a motorcycle. You have to drill out some metal to get at the
adjustment screw.

The Tecumseh service book points out they now use a different jet instead
of
adjusting screw. Nothing to drill. I suspect Briggs and others use the
same
system.

The jet can still be drilled. But it is not a simple job.

If you go too far, just undrill it

Posted to alt.home.repair

To set this all straight the carburetor that is on your engine does not
have any type of adjustment on it, it has a fixed main jet with no
adjustment screws. If you engine is still surging slightly when idling
that will be normal. The only thing you will want to worry about is if
it surging under load. If it is surging while under load there is an
issue at hand. I would check like the said the intake gaskets. The
engine that you have since it is a snow engine will not have an air
filter on it, it may however have a screen over the throat of the
carburetor. The engines are not set lean from the factory, this type of
a running condition could cause serious damage to the inside of the
engine. I hope that this was able to assist you with the questions that
you have.

If you have any further questions call our engine Answer Center at
800-444-7774, M-F 8-5PM CST.

For Briggs & Stratton Branded Power Products questions call our Answer
Center at 800-743-4115, M-F 8-5PM CST.

--
Briggs Engine
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just bought a Craftsman snowblower model 247.889720 with the 208 cc "quiet" motor. I had a similar problem--uneven running with the choke supposedly open. I found that the dial for the choke has confusing markings. Straight up and down is usually a full open choke. In this case, a full right turn is a closed choke, up and down is half choke, and all the way to the left is the open-choke, running position. Very unusual. At first, from the markings, I thought left and right turns closed the choke. It was functioning but not running smoothly in the up and down position, could smell lots of unburned gas and the fuel consumption seemed very high. On this model there appears to be no air filter and it would take a lot of disassembly to actually see the choke blade in the carburetor. I decided to experiment with the full left position and that cured the problem--smooth running and no smell of unburned gas from an over-rich mix due to the choke being half closed..
Posted to alt.home.repair

My old yellow & green 21" Yardman that I inherited was getting
so bad it actually ran strongest with choke closed(full choke)!
And even then for only 5-10 minutes at a time before it would
not stay running at all and then I'd have to finish the driveway
the old fashion way.

Local small engine shop threw everything they could at it,
still would not stay running, and the only way to start it, in
any temperature, was via the electrical outlet start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2015 2:23 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 1:17:07 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/3/2015 9:36 AM, wrote:
My old yellow & green 21" Yardman that I inherited was getting
so bad it actually ran strongest with choke closed(full choke)!
And even then for only 5-10 minutes at a time before it would
not stay running at all and then I'd have to finish the driveway
the old fashion way.

Local small engine shop threw everything they could at it,
still would not stay running, and the only way to start it, in
any temperature, was via the electrical outlet start.

Can't see it from here, but that *CAN* be a
bad gasket between the carb and the engine.

Might also have bad (inadequate) valve
clearance, which is just as likely as the bad
carb gasket.

I'd ask the shop to check those two. Needs a
bit of Permatex IIb non hardening sealer on
the carb gasket.

Valve clearance is typically .010 intake,
.020 exhaust, both measured at top dead center
where the valves should both be full closed.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.
www.lds.org
.
.

I think he's saying that the instructions or
markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
air warmer box)

I've read through this post a couple more times,
I don't see that.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2015 5:42 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 3:11:50 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/3/2015 2:23 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I think he's saying that the instructions or
markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
air warmer box)

I've read through this post a couple more times,
I don't see that.

"On this model there appears to be no air filter and it would take a lot of disassembly to actually see the choke blade in the carburetor. I decided to experiment with the full left position and that cured the problem--smooth running and no smell of unburned gas from an over-rich mix due to the choke being half closed."

=======================================
Stormy says....
Lets properly attibute:
=======================================

My old yellow & green 21" Yardman that I inherited was getting
so bad it actually ran strongest with choke closed(full choke)!
And even then for only 5-10 minutes at a time before it would
not stay running at all and then I'd have to finish the driveway
the old fashion way.

Local small engine shop threw everything they could at it,
still would not stay running, and the only way to start it, in
any temperature, was via the electrical outlet start.

====================================

Please note that pwrpath's text appeared NOWHERE
in the post that I was replying.

Do be more careful, please.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
..
www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2015 9:36 AM, wrote:
[...]

Well, I can trithfully say that in 50 years I have NEVER seen a choke
that was open in the center position - NEVER.
Virtually all close counter-clockwize -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 14:42:02 -0800 (PST), bob_villa
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 3:11:50 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/3/2015 2:23 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I think he's saying that the instructions or
markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
air warmer box)

I've read through this post a couple more times,
I don't see that.

"On this model there appears to be no air filter and it would take a lot of disassembly to actually see the choke blade in the carburetor. I decided to experiment with the full left position and that cured the problem--smooth running and no smell of unburned gas from an over-rich mix due to the choke being half closed."

And the overwhelmingly vast majority of "snow" engines do not have
an air cleaner. Most of the L-Head engines also have a "pre-heater"
built into the air intake. Both are to prevent icing the intake up
solid, choking the poor engine to death.

[...]

Try "unhide quoted text" from my post (for some reason hidden). I believe he is NOT sure what position the choke is at...and is experimenting without looking at the choke position. He needs to look at it...you on the other hand, are on a different planet...possibly Uranus.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2015 8:33 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 5:09:02 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/3/2015 5:42 PM, bob_villa wrote:
====================================

Please note that pwrpath's text appeared NOWHERE
in the post that I was replying.

Do be more careful, please.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Try "unhide quoted text" from my post (for some

reason hidden). I believe he is NOT sure what
position the choke is at...and is experimenting
without looking at the choke position. He needs
to look at it...you on the other hand, are on a
different planet...possibly Uranus.

If you can't figure out quoted text, not sure you
can figure any thing out. Plonk!

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll tell all of you something:

I'm just glad in my case that I no longer own that
Yardman thing(MTD). The 3-pos choke lever - up
and down - had no graphics on it OR in the owner's
manual, of which position was full choke or full
lean! How stupid is that?

My new Ariens on the other hand is so well marked
even my cats could start it - in the dark. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:
wrote:
On 2/3/2015 9:36 AM, wrote:
[...]

I think you must have missed that in the original (and only) post that the
OP write which said,

[...]

So, the comment above that said,

" I think he's saying that the instructions or
markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
air warmer box)"

made sense to me and seemed to be correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 8:15:22 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I'll tell all of you something:

I'm just glad in my case that I no longer own that
Yardman thing(MTD). The 3-pos choke lever - up
and down - had no graphics on it OR in the owner's
manual, of which position was full choke or full
lean! How stupid is that?

My new Ariens on the other hand is so well marked
even my cats could start it - in the dark. LOL

This guy also has an MTD and is posting on the Sears help forum...so we will have to wait and see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

12:23 PMbob_villa wrote:
This guy also has an MTD and is posting on the Sears help forum...so we will
have to wait and see. "

So this thread is also being read - and contributed to, from a Sears help forum?
Explains some of the confusion here.

BTW by "this guy also has an MTD" I assume you mean me(kmanrocks)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 11:46:08 AM UTC-6, wrote:
12:23 PMbob_villa wrote:
This guy also has an MTD and is posting on the Sears help forum...so we will
have to wait and see. "

So this thread is also being read - and contributed to, from a Sears help forum?
Explains some of the confusion here.

BTW by "this guy also has an MTD" I assume you mean me(kmanrocks)

The prefix of the his model is MTD on the Sears list of suppliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2015 12:14 PM, TomR wrote:

[...]

Powerpost had a in the subject line, so
that's not the original post. Original
poster is Tkmanrocks, or some similar spelling.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 07:32:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

If you can't figure out quoted text, not sure you
can figure any thing out. Plonk!

Look! A Plonkasaurus....