tying in a/c condensate drain into 1 1/2" PVC pipe from sump pump

Old February 4th 11, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default tying in a/c condensate drain into 1 1/2" PVC pipe from sump pump

To simplify things in my furnace room I want to tie in my A/C
condensate drain into the 1 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump, and have
it drain outside. I assume I need some kind of check valve for this?
The A/C pump already has a built in check valve, but should I install
another one? How is this normally done?
Old February 4th 11, 04:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2011 10:35 AM, Mikepier wrote:
To simplify things in my furnace room I want to tie in my A/C
condensate drain into the 1 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump, and have
it drain outside. I assume I need some kind of check valve for this?
The A/C pump already has a built in check valve, but should I install
another one? How is this normally done?

Why not just strap the smaller pipe to the larger pipe and let it drain
into the sump pit. If it where you can see the water drip from the line,
that would be good because condensate drains can often clog up.

TDD
Old February 4th 11, 04:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 11:40*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 2/4/2011 10:35 AM, Mikepier wrote:

* To simplify things in my furnace room I want to tie in my A/C
condensate drain into the 1 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump, and have
it drain outside. I assume I need some kind of check valve for this?
The A/C pump already has a built in check valve, but should I install
another one? How is this normally done?

Where does the condensate go now? To a condensate pump? If you
want to eliminate the condensate pump, the usual procedure is to just
route the condensate from the HVAC over to the sump pit. During dry
periods not unusual for there to be no pump running at all. The
condensate just drains into the ground.

Old February 4th 11, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I thought of just eliminating the pump and let it go into the pit, but
I was not sure if I was allowed to do that. The sump basin has holes
all around and on the bottom, so the A/C condensate I assume just
leaches into the ground? Is that ok?
Old February 4th 11, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I thought of just eliminating the pump and let it go into the pit, but
I was not sure if I was allowed to do that. The sump basin has holes
all around and on the bottom, so the A/C condensate I assume just
leaches into the ground? Is that ok?

Hi,
Being just a near pure water, what would be the problem as long as
condensate keeps flowing.
Old February 4th 11, 05:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 12:34*pm, Mikepier wrote:
I thought of just eliminating the pump and let it go into the pit, but
I was not sure if I was allowed to do that. The sump basin has holes
all around and on the bottom, so the A/C condensate I assume just
leaches into the ground? Is that ok?

Don't know where you are or what your local codes may or may not
allow. But here in NJ it's done and it apparently passes inspection
on new construction. I've also seen them routed to just a french
perimeter drain, but I think that's more questionable. On new work
I've seen it either going to sump pit or to condensate pump. From
the condensate pump it either goes outside or to a sewer drain.
Most of the HVAC guys I talked to preferred to go to a sewer drain
because of worries about freezing. But I think that's probably more
a worry than reality if you do it right.

Seems to me, the sump, if it's nearby, is the way to go. Less
pumping, one less pump to fail, etc.
Old February 4th 11, 06:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2011 10:35 AM, Mikepier wrote:
To simplify things in my furnace room I want to tie in my A/C
condensate drain into the 1 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump, and have
it drain outside. I assume I need some kind of check valve for this?
The A/C pump already has a built in check valve, but should I install
another one? How is this normally done?

it's not, it won't work that way. But you can let it drain into the
sump itself.

--
Steve Barker
Old February 4th 11, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I thought of just eliminating the pump and let it go into the pit, but
I was not sure if I was allowed to do that. The sump basin has holes
all around and on the bottom, so the A/C condensate I assume just
leaches into the ground? Is that ok?

My condensate pump just goes out the wall onto the ground as origionally
installed. Into a sump should be no worse, other than any difference the
somewhat acidic liquid from a gas furnace might make to the pump. If you are
talking only A/C condensants, there should be no problem.

Old February 5th 11, 01:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:35:54 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

To simplify things in my furnace room I want to tie in my A/C
condensate drain into the 1 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump, and have
it drain outside. I assume I need some kind of check valve for this?
The A/C pump already has a built in check valve, but should I install
another one? How is this normally done?

In Baltimore Co. Maryland, my pvc pipe just goes down 2 or 3 feet, to
the wall, to the floor, along the wall, and then out to the edge of
the sump. The sump has a plastic lid that is sometimes in place, but
it doesn't fit tight and the water just flows around the edge to the
sump. (I don't think mine is ever dry, because I'm at the bottom of a
hill, but it can go long periods without the pump running.)

Condensate is pure water, no vitamins or minerals except what it might
pick up from running along the evaporator and pipe, but that's not
much if anything.

Condensate pumps are used when there is no handy drain lower than the
evaporator, when one has to go UP to the ceiling and across a doorway,
hall, or open space to the sink. Someone I know has her furnace int
he middle of hte basement, so it has to go up just to get to the sump
pump, unless people want to trip on the tube or pipe going across the
floor.
Old February 5th 11, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Mikepier" wrote in message
To simplify things in my furnace room I want to tie in my A/C
condensate drain into the 1 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump, and have
it drain outside. I assume I need some kind of check valve for this?
The A/C pump already has a built in check valve, but should I install
another one? How is this normally done?

Huge potential for a problem. Condensate lines are prone to getting gunked
up with glop and that could hold a check valve open. I can't imagine the
mess it could create a year or three from now. Just drain into the sump.