Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT SUV must have hard top??

U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

Because driving without a hard top is a proven symptom of insanity, and
U-Haul's insurance company won't let them rent to the insane.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Feb 3, 11:12*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

Because driving without a hard top is a proven symptom of insanity, and
U-Haul's insurance company won't let them rent to the insane.

I guess the cheap trailer might come forward and injure passengers if
a crash or sudden stop. But, I guess I would be allowed to trailer
with my Datsun 1600 Roadster
convertible.I don't even have a soft top.

greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

Because driving without a hard top is a proven symptom of insanity, and
U-Haul's insurance company won't let them rent to the insane.

That may be it, but I wonder what their verbal explanation wuld be.
If I go there, I'll ask.

I guess the cheap trailer might come forward and injure passengers if
a crash or sudden stop. But, I guess I would be allowed to trailer
with my Datsun 1600 Roadster
convertible.I don't even have a soft top.

You're right. My car has a soft top, but if it's over 55 out, it's
usually down.

greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-02-03, mm wrote:
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

Maybe they want to avoid being sued in the event of an accident where
the trailer gets smashed into the vehicle and mushes somebody?

Just a guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:57:03 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

On 2011-02-03, mm wrote:
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

Maybe they want to avoid being sued in the event of an accident where
the trailer gets smashed into the vehicle and mushes somebody?

Just a guess.

More likely in case the trailer starts to swing and flips the whole
rig - SUV's being generally higher than cars, more likely to flip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 10:39 AM, mm wrote:
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

I can't figure that one out, guessing its for some kind of liability.
They build their own trailers, and when they are old, they used to sell
them. Now they are never sold, always cut up for scrap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

Hmmm,
Have ever seen an accident towed vehicle came on top of towing one when
hitch unhooked during accident? Or have seen a runaway trailer running
ahead of towing vehicle?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 3, 10:39*am, mm wrote:
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

increased risk of rollover, likely.

U-Haul is trying to cover their a$$... keep in mind that they're
renting ****ty trailers (note that most have a max speed of 45 MPH - a
way for them to weasel out of liability because who can drive 45 MPH
on a highway without getting run over?) to for the most part drivers
inexperienced with towing... yeah, some of them are gonna wreck.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 16:09:16 -0800 (PST), N8N
wrote:

On Feb 3, 10:39*am, mm wrote:
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

increased risk of rollover, likely.

I guess so.

U-Haul is trying to cover their a$$... keep in mind that they're
renting ****ty trailers (note that most have a max speed of 45 MPH - a
way for them to weasel out of liability because who can drive 45 MPH
on a highway without getting run over?) to for the most part drivers
inexperienced with towing... yeah, some of them are gonna wreck.

Actually, they say not to go over 55.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul
does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

SUV's are of "unibody" construction. This means the entire body of the
vehicle is the structural support for the vehicle - whereas trucks and
older vehicles have a steel I beam structural frame under the vehicle.
I don't know about a jeep?

Anyway so far as stopping and a LOT of weight from a trailer pushing
one the rear of a unibody vehicle, I would imagine that a metal top
would provide additional support. Without a metal top, then I suppose
the vehicle might want to fold in the middle like there was a hinge in
the middle and the rear end would fold up. (With a severe stop.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:35:23 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
U-haul says for ttrailer rental:

Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul
does
not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard
top to tow U-Haul equipment.

How come?

SUV's are of "unibody" construction. This means the entire body of the
vehicle is the structural support for the vehicle - whereas trucks and
older vehicles have a steel I beam structural frame under the vehicle.
I don't know about a jeep?

Anyway so far as stopping and a LOT of weight from a trailer pushing
one the rear of a unibody vehicle, I would imagine that a metal top
would provide additional support. Without a metal top, then I suppose
the vehicle might want to fold in the middle like there was a hinge in
the middle and the rear end would fold up. (With a severe stop.)

That might be their reason all right.

I'd better not tell them about my car, a convertible. When the top is
down, the only thing that holds the front to the back is the floor.
It has some reinforcment that a Chrysler LeBaron sedan doesn't have,
but nonetheless, when I had a cargo carrier in the class A trailer
hitch, and I put on 8 pieces of damp sod, I coudln't shut the door
because the car was bending.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"mm" wrote
I'd better not tell them about my car, a convertible. When the top is
down, the only thing that holds the front to the back is the floor.
It has some reinforcment that a Chrysler LeBaron sedan doesn't have,
but nonetheless, when I had a cargo carrier in the class A trailer
hitch, and I put on 8 pieces of damp sod, I coudln't shut the door
because the car was bending.

Many years ago I had a rusty '64 Karmann Ghia. I could hold the top of the
windshield frame and make the headlights move up and down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

[U-haul won't rent a trailer to an SUV without a top! Maybe because
the SUV is too flimsy to stop a trailer it is towing without folding
in the middle? ]

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 19:39:00 -0500, "Ed" wrote:
"mm" wrote
I'd better not tell them about my car, a convertible. When the top is
down, the only thing that holds the front to the back is the floor.
It has some reinforcment that a Chrysler LeBaron sedan doesn't have,
but nonetheless, when I had a cargo carrier in the class A trailer
hitch, and I put on 8 pieces of damp sod, I coudln't shut the door
because the car was bending.

Many years ago I had a rusty '64 Karmann Ghia. I could hold the top of the
windshield frame and make the headlights move up and down.

I'll have to try that, but I don't think I could do it with the doors
shut.