Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool vs Maytag washers

Clothes washer fills but will not agitate. Possible cause: lid
switch. Debating whether to pay hefty service charge or buy new.
$$ is definitely a factor. but I don't want to do
penny-wise/pound- foolish.

Local appliance store said that if I decide to replace 11-year-old
washer, don't get Maytag; "their service has slipped" (quoting them).

I know Whirlpool recently bought Maytag, but do not understand the
relevance of that purchase to potentially better service.

Does that mean that if I buy a Maytag now, I will get inferior service
(assuming store's advice was accurate) and that Whirlpool will not
support Maytags purchased before their acquired Maytag?

Confused.

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
Clothes washer fills but will not agitate. Possible cause: lid
switch. Debating whether to pay hefty service charge or buy new.

Local appliance store said that if I decide to replace 11-year-old
washer, don't get Maytag; "their service has slipped" (quoting them).

I don't see how that would affect after-warranty service paid the
customer. But I wouldn't pay someone to repair an 11-year-old washer
when a brand new Whirlpool-made one (Whirlpool, Roper, Estate, Costco
Kirkland, Sears Kenmore) can be bought for about $275-400. If you want
to see what's involved in replacing the lid switch (or plastic finger
for it), see www.applianceaid.com. In addition to unplugging the AC
power cord before doing any work, consider filling the tub with old
towels so it won't be damaged if a tool is dropped into it.

Does that mean that if I buy a Maytag now, I will get inferior service
(assuming store's advice was accurate) and that Whirlpool will not
support Maytags purchased before their acquired Maytag?

Don't worry since I've been able to find parts locally even for
20-25-year-old appliances. But I wouldn't buy a Maytag design washer
because Whirlpools have been more reliable, except perhaps the Calypso
top loaders (swash plate instead of conventional vertical agitator),
parts seem to cost less, and at least for their conventional top
loaders, access to the bottom part of the machine (to replace a motor,
pump, water control, etc.) is excellent since the whole cabinet can be
removed easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

possible the salesman is trying to sound helpfull, or pumping you for a
more expensive product.

when I had a problem with my amanna refridgerator, I had to call an
Amanna help line, and I know the amanna, jen-air, and maytag versions
are all made in the same factory.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

aspasia wrote:
Clothes washer fills but will not agitate. Possible cause: lid
switch. Debating whether to pay hefty service charge or buy new.
$$ is definitely a factor. but I don't want to do
penny-wise/pound- foolish.

Local appliance store said that if I decide to replace 11-year-old
washer, don't get Maytag; "their service has slipped" (quoting them).

I know Whirlpool recently bought Maytag, but do not understand the
relevance of that purchase to potentially better service.

Does that mean that if I buy a Maytag now, I will get inferior service
(assuming store's advice was accurate) and that Whirlpool will not
support Maytags purchased before their acquired Maytag?

Confused.

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you purchase a new Maytag or Whirlpool from a retailer that sells
both brands, more than likely any warranty service you need will be
provided by the same service provider, whoever that may be. The real
issue is the repair profile of each machine. If your salesman is like
most salesmen, he doesn't repair machines, and he knows nothing about
the durability of a machine.

Maytags and Whirlpools both have their own unique issues, and really,
who knows which is more durable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:23:26 -0700, aspasia wrote:

Does that mean that if I buy a Maytag now, I will get inferior service
(assuming store's advice was accurate) and that Whirlpool will not
support Maytags purchased before their acquired Maytag?

Maytag, once a premium brand, went into decline and had to be sold
because of manufacturing quality problems. I doubt Whirlpool who
bought the brand would do much to improve Maytag as it will
cannibalize their own products.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe the problem with Maytag is in the design, not in the
manufacturing quality. Let's point our collective fingers at the white
collar folk, not the people on the assembly line. Maytag could have
survived if they had continued making the kinds of machines they were
known for. Instead, someone at headquarters decided to stop making
those machines and make other things.

The Maytag brand will live on with Whirlpool, only it will be Whirlpool
products with the Maytag name on them. Side by side, you may not know
this, but a savvy looker will be able to see the similarities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

little debster wrote the following:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rs-148578-.htm
little debster wrote:
DO NOT PURCHASE KENMORE ELITE HE 3T WASHER OR HE4 DRYER!!!!!!Purchased in
2006 from Sears of course, bought the extended warranty. Thank god we did,
cause we have had nothing but problems since we bought them! Within 3
months had the main board replaced on my dryer so far 3 service calls on
the dryer. Ran out of the warranty on my dryer, another 5 years will cost
$300.00 for the dryer!Got my fingers crossed for the dryer. Washed a small
load today, washer paused cycle on it\'s own. Pressed start to finish
cycle, then ALL POWER lost!!!!!!!!! NOTHING DEAD! grrrrr SO MUCH MONEY FOR
THIS \"GARABGE\". Looks pretty, nothing but junk! Called Sears to order
the Main board for the washer...thank god again that I purchased the
extended warranty on the washer too. Runs out in September 2011! If you
own these appliances KEEP THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! Never had to pay anything
extra when service arrives and apparently we use this service a lot and
probably will for years to come. ****ty thing is we thought we were buying
the Kenmore and Sears name, apparently we bought Whirlpool! I would never
had bought these appliances if I had known it was not really Kenmore!

Original message posted on Sept 22, 2006

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY