Wrapping outdoor faucets (hose bibs)

Old February 6th 11, 12:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wrapping outdoor faucets (hose bibs)

On Feb 1, 3:37*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
Getting mighty cold in central Texas. *Last couple days was 80+ degrees..
Got down to 40 at midnight last night and by 9:00 this morning, it was 32..
Going to be 17 degrees tonight, and 15 tomorrow night. *In fact, we may not
get above freezing until Saturday sometime. *It was a short summer.

Anyway, I went out and dutifully wrapped all our outdoor faucets; first with
a bath towel, then with two inch thick foam rubber, and taped it all tight
around the faucets.

But, I wonder why this keeps them from freezing. *Obviously, there is no
heat generated by wrapping them, and there is very little residual warmth in
the faucet / pipe stub. *A little residual warmth from the brick siding, but
that is all. *It seems to me that the bitter cold would soak through the
towel and foam rubber in a few hours. *Then, what good does it do to wrap
them?

I know it seems to help by wrapping the faucets, but I'm not sure why. *Any
ideas?

Bob-tx

Not that it matters much, but most of todays hosebibs are "frost
free". which means there isn't any water in the bib itself. The valve
is inside the house. If you have this type, it doesnt matter if you
wrap them or not.

Hank
Old February 6th 11, 12:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Bob F" wrote
Which is why I like frost proof sill cocks.

I finally installed one a couple years ago. I am waiting for the
repair parts now to fix it. It didn't survive its second Seattle
winter. I hate to think about how well they do in the midwest.

Something is wrong. Mine are 30 years old and still work just fine.

Yeah, but you're in Miami.

Old February 6th 11, 02:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 7:32*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Bob F" wrote
Which is why I like frost proof sill cocks.

I finally installed one a couple years ago. I am waiting for the
repair parts now to fix it. It didn't survive its second Seattle
winter. I hate to think about how well they do in the midwest.

Something is wrong. *Mine are 30 years old and still work just fine.

Yeah, but you're in Miami.

I have 4 frost proof sill cocks on my home in NJ for the last 16
years.
Only one of them has failed and that was because I left a garden
hose filled with water on it so it could not drain. The principles
here
are straightforward and simple. They work by using a very long
valve stem and moving the actual valve 12" from the handle, so that
it's inside the house. Hence, when it's shut off, water drains out
and the water behind the valve is inside, where it can't freeze.

But, there are a number of ways you can screw it up:

Not install a long enough one.

It's below freezing inside where the valve is, perhaps due
to open holes, drafts, etc.

It's pitched in the wrong direction so that water stays in it.

You left a garden hose filled with water attached to it.
Old February 6th 11, 04:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Hank" wrote in message
[...]

I have seen these up north, what we have here are just
short stubby hose bibs with the valve just below the handle.
Bob-tx

Old February 6th 11, 05:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 04:18:56 -0800 (PST), Hank wrote:

[...]

I don't know about "most", mine aren't, but frost-free are certainly
available. The line to one goes through the attic of the garage, too. I do
the best I can; shut off those lines at the manifold and leave the valves
open.
Old February 6th 11, 06:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

All good info, but none addresses my original question of WHY it helps to
wrap faucets.

Anyone have any ideas??

It slows the transfer of heat. Metal is a great conductor of heat, which means
that the cold outside will follow the valve/pipe into the wall. By wrapping the
facuet, you put a thermal break in place which in tun keeps the pipe and valve
warmer. In most cases, it only takes a few degrees to keep things above freezing
at the valve.

Recommendations for fixing leaky outdoor t-handled faucets (some of which are embedded in the foundation)? James H. Home Repair 9 July 27th 10 03:31 AM
Fitting and outdoor tap for a hose Matthew.Ridges UK diy 12 July 4th 10 01:46 AM
Outdoor faucets and cold weather Kurt Ullman Home Repair 4 December 6th 08 09:27 PM
hose bibs Greg[_6_] Home Repair 9 October 1st 07 02:01 AM
Whine in Pipes when outside hose bibs winterized [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 14th 06 03:37 AM