How to fix spring sticking out of matress

Old February 1st 11, 04:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fix spring sticking out of matress

I have a spring sticking out of my matress. It dont feel too good
when I lay on it, and I cut my leg once on it now, because it has a
sharp end. Besides that spring sticking out, the matress is in good
shape, and very comfortable. In fact it got more comfortable as it
aged, since it now conforms to my body, where it has a dip in the
middle where the heaviest part of my body lays. New matresses are too
flat.

I'd really like to try to fix it. Either remove that spring, or cut
off the part that sticks out. It's not just being unable to afford a
new matress, but I dont want a new one that will take several years to
get comfortable again.

Anyone know how to fix this without destroying the matress covering in
the process?

Paul

Old February 1st 11, 04:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

plharris nospam.com wrote:

I'd really like to try to fix it.

Use a cutoff/rotary tool.

Either remove that spring, or cut off the part that sticks out.
It's not just being unable to afford a new matress, but I dont
want a new one that will take several years to get comfortable
again.

Anyone know how to fix this

Buy an air bed. The only reason I can imagine that air beds have
not replaced conventional mattresses has something to do with a
conspiracy theory about mattress manufacturers. Why anyone sleeps
on a conventional mattress anymore is a mystery to me. Sleeping on
an air bed is like sleeping on air... and that's the way it is.

Good luck and have fun.

Old February 1st 11, 02:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 08:27:12 -0500, "dadiOH"

I have a spring sticking out of my matress. It dont feel too good
when I lay on it, and I cut my leg once on it now, because it has a
sharp end. Besides that spring sticking out, the matress is in good
shape, and very comfortable. In fact it got more comfortable as it
aged, since it now conforms to my body, where it has a dip in the
middle where the heaviest part of my body lays. New matresses are too
flat.

I'd really like to try to fix it. Either remove that spring, or cut
off the part that sticks out. It's not just being unable to afford a
new matress, but I dont want a new one that will take several years to
get comfortable again.

Anyone know how to fix this without destroying the matress covering in
the process?

Apparently, you don't want to turn the mattress over which means you need to
get rid of the protruding spring.

Mattress springs may be individual springs clipped or tied to each other or
"pocket" springs which are springs inserted into individual fabric tubes.
They too are hooked in some manner to the surrounding springs

If you just clip off the end of the spring, you will leave the end at or
near the surface; you'll probably contact it when your body weight
compresses the matress. Before clipping it off, you could depress the
mattress in that area as much as possible which would leave the cut deeper
in the mattess. That should work pretty well.

Another possibility is to get a long upholsterer's needle and some heavy
twine. By shoving the needle up from the bottom you may be able to pull the
spring down into the normal position and tie off the twine on the bottom of
the mattress. To help keep the spring in position, use a curved needle and
sew it to surrounding springs.

Possibly the best way would be to turn the matress over, cut the fabric
below the offending spring, replace/fix the spring and sew up the bottom.

If the spring came loose at its attachment point, or can be relocated
to be against another spring you can use upholstery hog rings to
fasten the spring to a safe tie off. Sew the access slits back
together and use a fabric adhesive to put a patch over the area to
keep critters out.
--
Mr.E
Old February 1st 11, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote in news:ii8qmh$10p$1
@news.albasani.net:

Once upon a time I had a girl staying with me for a while and I had a
worn out mattress.

Wonder how /that/ happened?

--
Tegger
Old February 1st 11, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9E7F5E897A84Ategger@
208.90.168.18:

Jeff Thies wrote in news:ii8qmh$10p$1
@news.albasani.net:

Once upon a time I had a girl staying with me for a while and I had a
worn out mattress.

Wonder how /that/ happened?

Went to the bathroom a lot during the night?
Old February 1st 11, 07:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 01 Feb 2011 03:27:05 GMT, John Doe wrote:

plharris nospam.com wrote:

I'd really like to try to fix it.

Use a cutoff/rotary tool.

Either remove that spring, or cut off the part that sticks out.
It's not just being unable to afford a new matress, but I dont
want a new one that will take several years to get comfortable
again.

Anyone know how to fix this

Buy an air bed. The only reason I can imagine that air beds have
not replaced conventional mattresses has something to do with a
conspiracy theory about mattress manufacturers. Why anyone sleeps
on a conventional mattress anymore is a mystery to me. Sleeping on
an air bed is like sleeping on air... and that's the way it is.

Good luck and have fun.

Or a quality FOAM mattress.
At the VERY least a "pocket coil" type.
Old February 1st 11, 09:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

clare snyder.on.ca wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Buy an air bed. The only reason I can imagine that air beds have
not replaced conventional mattresses has something to do with a
conspiracy theory about mattress manufacturers. Why anyone sleeps
on a conventional mattress anymore is a mystery to me. Sleeping on
an air bed is like sleeping on air... and that's the way it is.

Good luck and have fun.

Or a quality FOAM mattress.
At the VERY least a "pocket coil" type.

Have you slept on a modern air bed? The type that has
vinyl/whatever pillars inside. It is not like an air mattress that
is used for floating in a pool. The inner structure keeps the air
compartment level throughout the mattress. And the air makes it a
marvelously comfortable place to rest.

Why others are not sold on the idea is like the eighth wonder of the
world to me.

To each his own, I guess.

Smelly water in underground spring-fed spring box, cistern [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 7th 08 05:32 PM
Tap sticking Martin Pentreath UK diy 6 June 7th 07 10:05 AM
OT - Tempur Matress Stephen Dawson UK diy 31 July 14th 06 08:14 PM
Sticking Icemaker? W. Wells Home Repair 1 November 8th 05 02:01 PM
Daft Matress size Zikki Malambo UK diy 0 December 10th 04 09:32 AM