Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running gas line to new HW heater (pics)

I posted a few days ago on relocating my HW heater to make more living
space in my basement. I purchased a Kenmore (AO Smith) HW heater on
Friday and today I started piping the gas. It was a lot easier for me
to come off the Tee for my furnace than to use the existing gas line,
which will eventually be capped off and enclosed in the wall. You
can't see it in these pics, but the old gas drop is actually more to
the right of the old HW heater. Plus this also let me keep the old HW
heater runnning while I work on the new one. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2011 10:30 PM, Mikepier wrote:
I posted a few days ago on relocating my HW heater to make more living
space in my basement. I purchased a Kenmore (AO Smith) HW heater on
Friday and today I started piping the gas. It was a lot easier for me
to come off the Tee for my furnace than to use the existing gas line,
which will eventually be capped off and enclosed in the wall. You
can't see it in these pics, but the old gas drop is actually more to
the right of the old HW heater. Plus this also let me keep the old HW
heater runnning while I work on the new one. Here are some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

if the feed to the tee you put in is 3/4 or larger, you should be fine.
if you try to run the furnace AND the WH off a 1/2" line you could
possibly have problems.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...VGmw?feat=dire....

Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

if the feed to the tee you put in is 3/4 or larger, you should be fine.
* if you try to run the furnace AND the WH off a 1/2" line you could
possibly have problems.

--
Steve Barker

Since in your other post you asked about 1/2" T's the answer is
probably yes, there is something wrong. You can't run a furnace and a
hw heater both off 1/2" pipe. You need 3/4" up to the T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I havn't seen anyone else make this comment, and someone
needs to:

"You don't have to heat hot water."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I posted a few days ago on relocating my HW heater to make
more living
space in my basement. I purchased a Kenmore (AO Smith) HW
heater on
Friday and today I started piping the gas. It was a lot
easier for me
to come off the Tee for my furnace than to use the existing
gas line,
which will eventually be capped off and enclosed in the
wall. You
can't see it in these pics, but the old gas drop is
actually more to
the right of the old HW heater. Plus this also let me keep
the old HW
heater runnning while I work on the new one. Here are some
pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2011 7:02 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:38 am, Steve wrote:
[...]

I didn't ask about anything.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 12:38 am, Steve *wrote:
[...]

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

I was refering to the op. He has another post out there asking if
it's ok to use galvinized since he could not find a 1/2" T in black
iron. Just guessing but I'm thinking he's using the T on the pipe to
the furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 12:38 am, Steve wrote:
[...]

ahhh. I C

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 12:38 am, Steve * *wrote:
[...]

Something I'm not seeing is the original post you responded to. Are
other people still seeing the original post?

Hey Mikepier - you've started at least four or five threads on your
one water heater installation. It's getting a bit confusing.

A new post on an old thread will still rise to the top.
If someone flagged one thread to keep track of it, they wouldn't
necessarily read the other threads.
People DAGS down the road won't find all of your installation
questions and answers in one convenient thread.

Is there a benefit to starting new threads on the same subject in your
opinion? I can't think of one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 12:38 am, Steve * *wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

Ok, sorry for the confusion. I don't know how this seperate thread
started, but in any event, as I said in my other post, there is a 1"
pipe coming into the furnace room, which then goes into a 1"X3/4"X3/4"
Tee, where one of the 3/4" outlet feeds the furnace and HW heater, and
the other 3/4" output continues on to feed my stove and dryer. I used
all black pipe, I did not used galvanized, although I almost did
because HD did not have a 1/2" Tee in black, but they had galvanized.
I went to Ace Hardware the next day and they had them.
Thanks for everyones help, and I'll stick to one thread next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 12:38 am, Steve * *wrote:
[...]

Alright. You've finished your installation with no worries, and it's
all good. Thanks.

Oh, one more thing - could you give us a heads-up about what you're
next project will be? That will allow people to work up a good head
of steam in advance for the next argument.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 12:38 am, Steve * *wrote:
[...]

When i'm done with my basement reno, I'm taking a break for a while.