Installing HW heater without heat trap nipples

Old January 20th 11, 08:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing HW heater without heat trap nipples

I posted a few days ago to ask about ideas on reloacting my HW heater.
I just noticed a possible issue with clearance of the heat trap nipple
on the hot side.
My 6" furnace duct runs close to where the HW heater is going. In
order to avoid it, I was going to make a tight 90 degree turn off the
top of the water heater to clear it. But I forgot about the heat trap
nipples, which are about 3-4 inches high. So now I run the risk of
hitting the duct.
I have seen some HW heaters that do not have these nipples installed,
including my own. I have heard sometimes they cause noise/flow
problems. What are the downsides if I don't put them in, besides lose
some heat loss in the pipes.
Old January 20th 11, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 1:51*pm, Mikepier wrote:
I posted a few days ago to ask about ideas on reloacting my HW heater.
I just noticed a possible issue with clearance of the heat trap nipple
on the hot side.
My 6" furnace duct runs close to where the HW heater is going. In
order to avoid it, I was going to make a tight *90 degree turn off the
top of the water heater to clear it. But I forgot about the heat trap
nipples, which are about 3-4 inches high. So now I run the risk of
hitting the duct.
I have seen some HW heaters that do not have these nipples installed,
including my own. I have heard sometimes they cause noise/flow
problems. What are the downsides if I don't put them in, besides lose
some heat loss in the pipes.

Whats a Heat Trap Nipple, is it a Insulated Union - a Thermal Break,
which you should have.?
Old January 20th 11, 11:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jan 20, 1:51 pm, wrote:
I posted a few days ago to ask about ideas on reloacting my HW heater.
I just noticed a possible issue with clearance of the heat trap nipple
on the hot side.
My 6" furnace duct runs close to where the HW heater is going. In
order to avoid it, I was going to make a tight 90 degree turn off the
top of the water heater to clear it. But I forgot about the heat trap
nipples, which are about 3-4 inches high. So now I run the risk of
hitting the duct.
I have seen some HW heaters that do not have these nipples installed,
including my own. I have heard sometimes they cause noise/flow
problems. What are the downsides if I don't put them in, besides lose
some heat loss in the pipes.

Whats a Heat Trap Nipple, is it a Insulated Union - a Thermal Break,
which you should have.?

Hi,
Then it'll cause heat loss when heat i not trapped. It's code as well
I would think. You have to intall one.
Old January 21st 11, 12:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 6:29*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Jan 20, 1:51 pm, *wrote:
[...]

I would think. You have to intall one.- Hide quoted text -

I came out the top of my water heater with street elbow and then
connected the traps. I hope this os OK.

Jimmie
Old January 21st 11, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

ransley wrote:
On Jan 20, 1:51 pm, Mikepier wrote:
I posted a few days ago to ask about ideas on reloacting my HW heater.
I just noticed a possible issue with clearance of the heat trap nipple
on the hot side.
My 6" furnace duct runs close to where the HW heater is going. In
order to avoid it, I was going to make a tight 90 degree turn off the
top of the water heater to clear it. But I forgot about the heat trap
nipples, which are about 3-4 inches high. So now I run the risk of
hitting the duct.
I have seen some HW heaters that do not have these nipples installed,
including my own. I have heard sometimes they cause noise/flow
problems. What are the downsides if I don't put them in, besides lose
some heat loss in the pipes.

Whats a Heat Trap Nipple, is it a Insulated Union - a Thermal Break,
which you should have.?

No, they're a nipple that includes a check valve to stop hot water
rising via convection loop flow.

http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/water_heating/index.cfm/mytopic=13100

The may or may not be dielectric as well...these are

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-21303/Detail

Old January 21st 11, 12:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

JIMMIE wrote:

I came out the top of my water heater with street elbow and then
connected the traps. I hope this os OK.

If they're the check valve type they won't do any good in that
orientation because they're just a gravity check ball in a seat.

You can achieve the same effect w/o them by plumbing the inlet/outlet
lines in an inverted 'U' either by bending flex or tubing or w/ hard
copper/galvanized and fittings.

Old January 21st 11, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

..

--

Yep upside down U works well and dont foreget to insulate the lines
too.....

Old January 21st 11, 04:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 6:45*pm, dpb wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

Aren't those the type that comes with the HW heater? I thought they
were dielectric also.
Old January 22nd 11, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

Aren't those the type that comes with the HW heater? I thought they
were dielectric also.

My recently installed GE (Rheem) water heater came with them already
installed.

Jon