Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Manual wheat grinder and well pump recommendation

This may be a tad off topic for this newsgroup, but I'm betting I get a lot
of good recommendations.

I'm looking for a manual (non-electric, hand powered) wheat grinder, and
shallow well pump. I have a well in my back yard and a couple hundred
pounds of wheat in my basement, and I basically want to be able to make
flour and water my garden when the power goes off. Anyone have any
recommendations - brand names, brands to avoid, where to find such? I live
in Lebanon, Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Salem Oregon, which is about
an hour south of Portland Oregon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:21*am, Zootal wrote:
This may be a tad off topic for this newsgroup, but I'm betting I get a lot
of good recommendations.

I'm looking for a manual (non-electric, hand powered) wheat grinder, and
shallow well pump. I have a well in my back yard and a couple hundred
pounds of wheat in my basement, and I basically want to be able to make
flour and water my garden when the power goes off. Anyone have any
recommendations - brand names, brands to avoid, where to find such? I live
in Lebanon, Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Salem Oregon, which is about
an hour south of Portland Oregon.

For hand powered shallowwell pumps, visit your local hardware store,
agricultural supply store, Tracto Supply Store, etc. You will find
watering a garden that way is very labor intensive.

For grinding that wheat, a coffee grinder was used back inthe pioneer
days for small amounts. An option would be to talk to a local mill if
one is nearby, they may take your wheat and give you flour in return
(taking their cut of course). We used to do that back in WWII.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 12:21*pm, Zootal wrote:
This may be a tad off topic for this newsgroup, but I'm betting I get a lot
of good recommendations.

I'm looking for a manual (non-electric, hand powered) wheat grinder, and
shallow well pump. I have a well in my back yard and a couple hundred
pounds of wheat in my basement, and I basically want to be able to make
flour and water my garden when the power goes off. Anyone have any
recommendations - brand names, brands to avoid, where to find such? I live
in Lebanon, Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Salem Oregon, which is about
an hour south of Portland Oregon.

Try http://www.lehmans.com at least for preliminary recon.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote in
:

On Jan 21, 9:21*am, Zootal wrote:
[...]

This is for my own usage when the power goes off - I don't need it ground
now, I have the wheat vacuum packed. I want to be able to go into my
basement, pick up a bag of wheat and the grinder and make flour right there
on the spot. We don't drink coffee...hmm...wonder how well a coffee grinder
would work? I'm thinking it would be pretty coarse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote in
:

On Jan 21, 12:21*pm, Zootal wrote:
This may be a tad off topic for this newsgroup, but I'm betting I get
a l

ot
of good recommendations.

I'm looking for a manual (non-electric, hand powered) wheat grinder,
and shallow well pump. I have a well in my back yard and a couple
hundred pounds of wheat in my basement, and I basically want to be
able to make flour and water my garden when the power goes off.
Anyone have any recommendations - brand names, brands to avoid, where
to find such? I liv

in Lebanon, Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Salem Oregon, which is
abou

an hour south of Portland Oregon.

Try http://www.lehmans.com at least for preliminary recon.

Cindy Hamilton

I've seen the country living grain mill before - it has a big pully you can
use a fanbelt to drive, as well as a hand crank. A bit spendy. I've seen
some inexpensive models on eBay, but ...well, you get what you pay for...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 31,
Zootal wrote:

This may be a tad off topic for this newsgroup, but I'm betting I get a lot
of good recommendations.

I'm looking for a manual (non-electric, hand powered) wheat grinder, and
shallow well pump. I have a well in my back yard and a couple hundred
pounds of wheat in my basement, and I basically want to be able to make
flour and water my garden when the power goes off. Anyone have any
recommendations - brand names, brands to avoid, where to find such? I live
in Lebanon, Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Salem Oregon, which is about
an hour south of Portland Oregon.

People have been making flour a lot longer than they have been making
electricity. I can't recommend a particular tool or method, but I'm
pretty sure it's going to involve elbow grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:21:48 -0600, Zootal
wrote:

This may be a tad off topic for this newsgroup, but I'm betting I get a lot
of good recommendations.

I'm looking for a manual (non-electric, hand powered) wheat grinder,

You can try these folks for mill recommendations:
www.pleasanthillgrain.com
Click on Grain Mills, top left
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Zootal wrote:

... A bit spendy. I've seen
some inexpensive models on eBay, but ...well, you get what you pay for...

What you're looking for is a also known as a "stone" or flat rock...

Bench grinder recommendation Ron Corpulent Metalworking 5 February 11th 08 03:50 PM
Wheat board Ellestad Woodworking 5 December 24th 07 11:08 PM
Grinder pump vs. sewage pump for basement [email protected] Home Repair 3 November 11th 07 10:57 PM
Can a submersible pump and manual pitcher pump coexist? [email protected] Home Repair 17 February 3rd 07 10:10 PM
Angle grinder recommendation Alex Metalworking 26 July 29th 05 05:41 AM