Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anti-slip Paint

Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 5:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,

Typically you just ask for anti slip (small glass beads) to be added to
the paint at the paint store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote in -
september.org:

On 1/11/2011 5:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,

Typically you just ask for anti slip (small glass beads) to be added to
the paint at the paint store.

Then there's the cheap f'ker route and toss some sand in. Never actually
did it but it sounds delightfully cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 3:29 PM Red Green spake thus:

George wrote in
- september.org:

On 1/11/2011 5:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer. My
porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to
apply anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any
recommendations?

Typically you just ask for anti slip (small glass beads) to be added to
the paint at the paint store.

Then there's the cheap f'ker route and toss some sand in. Never actually
did it but it sounds delightfully cheap.

So I wonder how much better the store-bought stuff could be than just
tossing in sand. Shoot, I'd try that first.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,

I have used the glass beads route. Works good and I think it would look
better than sand.. My &.02 worth. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/11/2011 3:29 PM Red Green spake thus:

George wrote in
- september.org:

On 1/11/2011 5:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer. My
porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to
apply anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any
recommendations?

Typically you just ask for anti slip (small glass beads) to be
added to the paint at the paint store.

Then there's the cheap f'ker route and toss some sand in. Never
actually did it but it sounds delightfully cheap.

So I wonder how much better the store-bought stuff could be than just
tossing in sand. Shoot, I'd try that first.

You would want to stir the sand mix frequently during application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 7:45 PM, Bob F wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/11/2011 3:29 PM Red Green spake thus:

wrote in
- september.org:

On 1/11/2011 5:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer. My
porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to
apply anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any
recommendations?
Typically you just ask for anti slip (small glass beads) to be
added to the paint at the paint store.
Then there's the cheap f'ker route and toss some sand in. Never
actually did it but it sounds delightfully cheap.

So I wonder how much better the store-bought stuff could be than just
tossing in sand. Shoot, I'd try that first.

You would want to stir the sand mix frequently during application.

I had a new driveway and garage floor installed this last summer and
decided to have an epoxy floor paint applied to my new cured concrete in
order to protect the concrete from staining.

The new epoxy floor had the recommended amount of sand added to make it
"non-slip" and the floor appeared to be excellent until the winter snow
arrived.

I am now finding that my "non-slip" epoxy coated floor is very slippery,
and have been forced to buy rubber mats to install in all the walking
areas (for $800) to make it safer to walk to and from the cars.

I suggest you make your choice VERY CAREFULLY since a lot of surfaces
when wet get to be really treacherous / dangerous, even if they claim to
be "non-skid".
Posted to alt.home.repair
RRW RRW is offline

My front steps were like ice when wet, they were wood painted with
floor and porch. Next time I got some anti slip in the form of silica
powder that I mixed with the paint from Lowes. Works like a charm and
does not settle out of the paint during a painting session.

On Jan 11, 9:14*pm, "WW" wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

"WW" wrote in news:1-
:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,

I have used the glass beads route. Works good and I think it would look
better than sand.. My &.02 worth. WW

Oh, it has to look good too! ****, I was gonna follow up with using a
bucket of driveway sealer and some pea stone.

That would work also RG. But don't walk on it barefoot. WW- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 7:48 PM RRW spake thus:

My front steps were like ice when wet, they were wood painted with
floor and porch. Next time I got some anti slip in the form of silica
powder that I mixed with the paint from Lowes. Works like a charm and
does not settle out of the paint during a painting session.

Sounds good. Just realize that silica = sand.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 6:29 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in -
september.org:

On 1/11/2011 5:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,

Typically you just ask for anti slip (small glass beads) to be added to
the paint at the paint store.

Then there's the cheap f'ker route and toss some sand in. Never actually
did it but it sounds delightfully cheap.

It doesn't work nearly as well (neighbor did it one time). I am not big
on spending more than I need to but but paint is one of those things
that makes sense to do right and not try to save pennies. I don't even
remember if the local real paint store charged for the beads and if so
it wasn't much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2011 7:45 PM, Bob F wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/11/2011 3:29 PM Red Green spake thus:

wrote in
- september.org:

On 1/11/2011 5:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer. My
porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to
apply anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any
recommendations?

Typically you just ask for anti slip (small glass beads) to be
added to the paint at the paint store.

Then there's the cheap f'ker route and toss some sand in. Never
actually did it but it sounds delightfully cheap.

So I wonder how much better the store-bought stuff could be than just
tossing in sand. Shoot, I'd try that first.

You would want to stir the sand mix frequently during application.

Yes, the beads stay in suspension, give a much better end result and may
add $0.50 to the project cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
George wrote:

On 1/11/2011 7:45 PM, Bob F wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Are the beads just for 32F anti-slip protection, or do they help with
iciness at all? House B has wood decks that are slippery with ice in the
early morning in winters, but it isn't snow, just frozen fog. Also, how
do the beads affect sweeping / cleaning the dirt from the deck and steps?
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Jan 11, 5:43*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,

Try some Walmart porch paint non-slip. It cheap.

I have added sand to paint, but tends to rub off.
You can also attach antislip strips if you have a nice shiny surface.
It comes in rolls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 10:43*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,

Get some chicken wire and staple on. Smaller the mesh the better. I f
possible bend the wire under the tread and staple underneath (if open
treads, ie no riser) Lasts a lot longer than paint. Works a lot
better too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"zek" wrote in message
On Jan 11, 5:43 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer.
My porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to apply
anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any recommendations?
TIA,

Try some Walmart porch paint non-slip. It cheap.

I have added sand to paint, but tends to rub off.
You can also attach antislip strips if you have a nice shiny surface.
It comes in rolls.

Many years ago I built an 18 foot inboard boat from wood; no fiberglass
involved. There were areas where I need non-slip painted surface, and was
advised to use ground up pecan shells mixed with the paint. I guess the
idea is similar to the sand mixed in, but the pecan shells did not readily
sink to the bottom.

At any rate, it worked great. That was almost fifty years ago, so I don't
know if it is an outdated technology or not.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message ...

So I wonder how much better the store-bought stuff could be than just
tossing in sand. Shoot, I'd try that first.

You would want to stir the sand mix frequently during application.

The guys who painted our house a few years ago made their own anti-skid
paint for the porch by buying a little bag of sand ground extra-fine and
just scattered that on top of the still wet first coat of paint. Worked
great, and they left the unused sand if I ever need to do touch-ups. They
said they preferred the scatter method over stirring sand into the paint as
there is no problem with the sand settling to the bottom of the can.

Anti WI-FI Paint azotic Metalworking 6 October 7th 09 02:03 PM
Anti Slip Product/Treatment for Outdoor Tile? Glenster Home Repair 2 January 8th 06 08:31 PM
Anti-slip for shower tray Peter Crosland UK diy 10 December 9th 05 08:08 PM
Anti-slip product for pathway. Ed Sirett UK diy 8 November 24th 04 11:07 PM
non-slip paint for external brick steps ANt UK diy 3 November 20th 03 04:02 AM