Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sticking door

Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/17 7:18 AM, badgolferman wrote:
Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

Short term fixes:

Easiest- Get rid of the dog.

If that's not an option, try whacking the sticking spot with a rubber
mallet.

Next easiest- put a two foot length of 2x4 flat along the jamb over the
sticking spot and hit it with a heavy hammer or light sledge.

Either of these might set the jamb and stud back a fraction and end the
sticking.

Long term: try to locate where and why the floor/wall is sagging.

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2017 7:18 AM, badgolferman wrote:
Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

I usually shave a little wood off the door with a plane. Right now with
AC off I see a little more door sticking because of humidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:18:17 AM UTC-5, badgolferman wrote:
Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

If you have a candle, rub some candle wax on the spot where the door is sticking. The candle wax shouldn't harm the paint and will silence the noise. The wax also works on the bolt mechanism and won't stain your clothing if you rub up against the door where it's applied. There is something called "Saw Wax" which I used for years to lube doors and window slides. It's a very versatile lube. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/Olson-AC70010.../dp/B000P4SK9E

[8~{} Uncle Waxy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2017 7:18 AM, badgolferman wrote:
Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

Once in a while you get lucky and just have to tighten the screws
holding the hinge.

Alternate is to not close the door all the way. Mom won't be peeking in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2017 6:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 7:18:17 AM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

I'd try the soap first, what do you have to lose?

Or rub the spot with a candle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/22/2017 07:18 AM, badgolferman wrote:
Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

Forgot your clubs?Â* Ok, maybe that's a bit extreme.

Maybe go to the nearest Pestmart and get Fi-fi a nice muzzle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
news
Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

Back out the screws in that hinge by 1/4 turn. Still stick? Back them out
a bit more. If you back them out too much it will start rubbing on the
strike jamb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just used a belt sander to take off a 32nd. Done. Bathroom hollow door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 08:37:18 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 9/22/2017 7:18 AM, badgolferman wrote:
Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

I usually shave a little wood off the door with a plane. Right now with
AC off I see a little more door sticking because of humidity.

+1 Expansion & contraction.

An orbital sander, fine grit paper, will take a bit of wood off
easily. Important to also paint so you seal the door edges from the
moisture.

(how many doors do you see painted on the bottom :-) )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:18:13 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman
wrote:

Spending a few days at my mother's house looking after her since she had
surgery. The bedroom I'm in has a sticking door and it makes noise when I
get up to go the bathroom. Then the dog hears it and starts barking and
everyone wakes up.

The door is sticking at the jamb side below the top hinge. Is there
something I can do to fix this temporarily? I considered rubbing some bar
soap on it but haven't tried it yet. Taking the door off and planing it
then repainting and all that is not a good option right now.

Put a six ft. level on the hinge side door jamb. You may be able to
put a thin cardboard shim behind the center and/or bottom hinge on the
jamb side. Bringing the door more vertical, pulling the top back over.

Similar to the ways mentioned in your gate repair thread.