Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loss of Water Pressure on Hot Side of Moen Single-Handle Faucet

This does not appear to be systemic as the other hot faucets in the
house have excellent pressure.
The faucet is fed through 1/2" brass pipes and then through
flexible armored connectors that are about 10 years old.
Pressure problem is the same with and without the aerator.
While neither of these seems likely, I have focused on a faulty
Moen valve assembly (the plastic one, not the SS one) or on the
flexible feed lines. (Possible collapsed walls?)
While there is obvious loss of water pressure on the hot side,
the pressure on the cold side may be down a little also- hard to tell.
Anybody have any experience with a problem like this?
Many thanks for help.
Frank
P.S. I always like to try to diagnose before I disassemble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote in
:

This does not appear to be systemic as the other hot faucets in the
house have excellent pressure.
The faucet is fed through 1/2" brass pipes and then through
flexible armored connectors that are about 10 years old.
Pressure problem is the same with and without the aerator.
While neither of these seems likely, I have focused on a faulty
Moen valve assembly (the plastic one, not the SS one) or on the
flexible feed lines. (Possible collapsed walls?)
While there is obvious loss of water pressure on the hot side,
the pressure on the cold side may be down a little also- hard to tell.
Anybody have any experience with a problem like this?
Many thanks for help.
Frank
P.S. I always like to try to diagnose before I disassemble.

They will probably send you a new cartridge for free. Get the model first.
Spin the neck as far to the wall as you can. Model probably stamped/etched
on the back of the neck base. Sample model is 7400.

http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

At that link you can also get exploded diagrams for them like:

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instr...ts/ins111a.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
This does not appear to be systemic as the other hot faucets in the
house have excellent pressure.
The faucet is fed through 1/2" brass pipes and then through
flexible armored connectors that are about 10 years old.
Pressure problem is the same with and without the aerator.
While neither of these seems likely, I have focused on a faulty
Moen valve assembly (the plastic one, not the SS one) or on the
flexible feed lines. (Possible collapsed walls?)
While there is obvious loss of water pressure on the hot side,
the pressure on the cold side may be down a little also- hard to tell.
Anybody have any experience with a problem like this?
Many thanks for help.
Frank
P.S. I always like to try to diagnose before I disassemble.

Something is plugging the hot side of the valve or connecting tube. Try turning
off the cold water supply to the water heater, opening another hot water tap,
then turn on both hot and cold on the offending valve qhile blocking the faucet
outlet. The cold water will try to escape backwards through the hot inlet. That
might reverse flush the problem out of the valve, if the valve desifn allows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"frank1492" wrote in message
This does not appear to be systemic as the other hot faucets in the
house have excellent pressure.
The faucet is fed through 1/2" brass pipes and then through
flexible armored connectors that are about 10 years old.
Pressure problem is the same with and without the aerator.
While neither of these seems likely, I have focused on a faulty
Moen valve assembly (the plastic one, not the SS one) or on the
flexible feed lines. (Possible collapsed walls?)
While there is obvious loss of water pressure on the hot side,
the pressure on the cold side may be down a little also- hard to tell.
Anybody have any experience with a problem like this?
Many thanks for help.
Frank
P.S. I always like to try to diagnose before I disassemble.

99% change the cartridge is clogged. Clean or replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 10:34*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?"frank1492" wrote in message

This does not appear to be systemic as the other hot faucets in the
house have excellent pressure.
* * The faucet is fed through 1/2" brass pipes and then through
flexible armored connectors that are about 10 years old.
* * *Pressure problem is the same with and without the aerator.
* * While neither of these seems likely, I have focused on a faulty
Moen valve assembly (the plastic one, not the SS one) or on the
flexible feed lines. (Possible collapsed walls?)
* * *While there is obvious loss of water pressure on the hot side,
the pressure on the cold side may be down a little also- hard to tell.
* * *Anybody have any experience with a problem like this?
* * Many thanks for help.
* * * * * * Frank
* * P.S. I always like to try to diagnose before I disassemble.

99% change the cartridge is clogged. *Clean or replace.

And the reason it's on the hot side it that your water heater is
rusting and/or has sediment being carried along with the hot water to
your shower. Take off one of the aerators on one of your faucets and
check the screens for debris to see what I mean. Those are easy to
clean, whereas shower bodies not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 7:43*pm, frank1492 wrote:

* * * * * * *Frank
* * *P.S. I always like to try to diagnose before I disassemble.

I read that as dissemble. So, does that mean you're pretending to be
a doctor...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Haha. Never heard the word "dissemble" before so looked it up. Very
clever.
No chance it's rust. The tank is a Marathon, all plastic.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:00:59 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jan 11, 7:43*pm, frank1492 wrote:

* * * * * * *Frank
* * *P.S. I always like to try to diagnose before I disassemble.

I read that as dissemble. So, does that mean you're pretending to be
a doctor...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"frank1492" wrote in message
Haha. Never heard the word "dissemble" before so looked it up. Very
clever.
No chance it's rust. The tank is a Marathon, all plastic.

Could be sediment of minerals. Can't tell to you dissemble it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 2:48*pm, frank1492 wrote:

Thanks to all for your ideas. I disassembled the faucet (Moen sink)
and inspected the cartridge. Clean as a whistle. My next focus would
of course be the pipes and the flexible connectors to the faucet, but
I think I will give it a rest for awhile.

Umm, I proposed you remove the aerator, not disassemble the faucet.
The aerator screen is where you'll find the stuff if there is any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 2:48 pm, frank1492 wrote:

Thanks to all for your ideas. I disassembled the faucet (Moen sink)
and inspected the cartridge. Clean as a whistle. My next focus would
of course be the pipes and the flexible connectors to the faucet, but
I think I will give it a rest for awhile.

Umm, I proposed you remove the aerator, not disassemble the faucet.
The aerator screen is where you'll find the stuff if there is any.

=============

In his initial message, he said "Pressure problem is the same with and
without the aerator."

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 2:48 pm, frank1492 wrote:

Thanks to all for your ideas. I disassembled the faucet (Moen sink)
and inspected the cartridge. Clean as a whistle. My next focus would
of course be the pipes and the flexible connectors to the faucet, but
I think I will give it a rest for awhile.

Umm, I proposed you remove the aerator, not disassemble the faucet.
The aerator screen is where you'll find the stuff if there is any.

=============

In his initial message, he said "Pressure problem is the same with and
without the aerator."

Are you suggesting someone should read a post before responding? Outragious!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 9:35*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 2:48 pm, frank1492 wrote:

Thanks to all for your ideas. I disassembled the faucet (Moen sink)
and inspected the cartridge. Clean as a whistle. My next focus would
of course be the pipes and the flexible connectors to the faucet, but
I think I will give it a rest for awhile.

Umm, I proposed you remove the aerator, not disassemble the faucet.
The aerator screen is where you'll find the stuff if there is any.

In his initial message, he said "Pressure problem is the same with and
without the aerator."

Are you suggesting someone should read a post before responding? Outragious!

Yowza! I really bobbled the ball on that one. Looking back at it I
have no idea how I thought that he was talking about a single-handled
shower body. I apologize for my confusion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I knew several of you were talking about shower faucets- should have
cleared things up earlier. Sorry.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:37:20 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jan 12, 9:35*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 2:48 pm, frank1492 wrote:

Thanks to all for your ideas. I disassembled the faucet (Moen sink)
and inspected the cartridge. Clean as a whistle. My next focus would
of course be the pipes and the flexible connectors to the faucet, but
I think I will give it a rest for awhile.

Umm, I proposed you remove the aerator, not disassemble the faucet.
The aerator screen is where you'll find the stuff if there is any.

In his initial message, he said "Pressure problem is the same with and
without the aerator."

Are you suggesting someone should read a post before responding? Outragious!

Yowza! I really bobbled the ball on that one. Looking back at it I
have no idea how I thought that he was talking about a single-handled
shower body. I apologize for my confusion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 6:36*pm, frank1492 wrote:

I knew several of you were talking *about shower faucets- should have
cleared things up earlier. Sorry.

My fault for not reading more carefully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 5:54:33 PM UTC-8, Bob F wrote:
frank1492 wrote:
[...]

i know this is a very old thread, but Bob F is a genius!!!!