Burnt electrical outlet and plug

Old January 10th 11, 03:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burnt electrical outlet and plug

We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341105173/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341718398/

Thanks
Old January 10th 11, 03:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341105173/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341718398/

Thanks

What types of devices to those plugs belong to? Not the outlets. The plugs.

Old January 10th 11, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 7:21*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
wrote in message

We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341105173/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341718398/

Thanks

What types of devices to those plugs belong to? Not the outlets. The plugs.

It is connected to a power conditioner which powers some audio
devices. The input to the power conditioner shows it is rated up to
30Amps but we actually do not have that many devices being powered by
this conditioner. So I doubt it is drawing the full 30Amps. Also the
20Amp building fuse would have tripped if the power drain was higher
than 20Amps.
Old January 10th 11, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341105173/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341718398/

Thanks

Without having a beter look , I would say that in the plug where the wire is
connected to the prong, there is a loose or high resistance connection.

You usually get heat build up at the bad connections. If the plug can be
taken apart, see if the connection is loose. Unless there is some reason
the whole prong is not making connection all over the plug and socket,
there probably was nothing wrong with the socket except the plug overheated
and caused the burnt spots on the socket.

Old January 10th 11, 03:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 7:18*pm, " wrote:
We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...07/5341718398/

Thanks

Bad (high resistance) connection between the plug & receptacle neutral
contacts.

I'm betting that it took a fair amount of time (many months) for the
problem to manifest.

Get a better grade of receptacle & plug.
Make sure that the plug withdrawal force is good.

The fuse (circuit breaker?) never did its job because the amperage
draw was lower than its rating.

cheers
Bob

Old January 10th 11, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 7:18*pm, " wrote:
We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...07/5341718398/

Thanks

There is something wrong with that plug. Open it up and look inside.
Old January 10th 11, 03:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2011 10:18 PM, wrote:
We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341105173/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341718398/

Thanks

Replace the plug. It has a poor connection that resulted in overheating
which was left go until it ruined the outlet... and then ruined the
other outlet. The average person thinks they are safe from electrical
fires if the fuses/breakers work, and there is no short circuits. The
truth is that most electrical fires are due to poor connections... just
like you have. It should have been repaired after it burnt up the first
outlet. Be sure to replace the outlets also. If you can't replace the
plug and the outlets, please call a qualified electrician before you
burn down the office.
Old January 10th 11, 04:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 22:50:51 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 1/9/2011 10:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

Is the "conditioner" the plug is on a Ferro-resonant transformer type
AC Voltage regulator? They can be really nasty to a high-resistance
connection - a lot worse than a non-resonant load.
Old January 10th 11, 04:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 19:48:28 -0800 (PST), DD_BobK wrote:

On Jan 9, 7:18*pm, " wrote:
[...]

This is are arc-fault breakers are supposed to help. I'm with you, though. A
better outlet/plug, properly installed, would have avoided this problem
completely.
Old January 10th 11, 04:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 9:18*pm, " wrote:
We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5423000...07/5341718398/

Thanks

Why are two outlets discolored? Is it a fuse or a circuit-breaker,
fuses blow, circuit breakers trip, you mixed up words for both
devices, which is it?