Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solaar screen question

We have three double windows in our house in which the summer sun hits
directly and a good deal of heat is transferred into the house even through
the insulated windows.

I am considering putting in solar screens to reduce the heat and AC
requirement.

A couple phone calls for ball park cost is between $300 & $450. Each
double window is 5' 5" wide by 6' high. The cost seems a bit high for
screens but I've no experience with screens and don't know anyone who has
them.

Does this seem like a reasonable cost?
Do they significantly reduce inside heat?
Are there any disadvantages to them?

Thanks for you opinions.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote in message
. ..

I am considering putting in solar screens to reduce the heat and AC
requirement.

A couple phone calls for ball park cost is between $300 & $450. Each
double window is 5' 5" wide by 6' high. The cost seems a bit high for
screens but I've no experience with screens and don't know anyone who has
them.

Does this seem like a reasonable cost?
Do they significantly reduce inside heat?
Are there any disadvantages to them?

Solar windows (sealed double-pane units, coated with transparent
titanium or similar metal) as sold in Ontario, Canada, come in two
varieties, to retain interior winter heat or exclude exterior summer heat,
although both have both functions. These panes also block radio
waves (as used by cell phones and WiFi) but radio passes through
most wall materials OK.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

[...]

We installed window quilts circa 1973. Love them. Worth a search.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Jan 6, 12:26*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
*"Don Phillipson" wrote:

[...]

You can get argon insulated panes without metal coating to reflect
heat.
Winter windows should NOT have reflective coatings on southern side if
you want heat in,
but opposite in summer.
You can even attach contact window screen, similar to the type
they used to use on auto's in the 70's with reflective metal.
They don't hold up well over time. Ideally you want simple pull
down blinds used as screens, that way you can control things better
and is most
cost effective.

There is also weaved material that you can put on the outside or
inside of the house that blocks light and or IR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 23:05:49 -0600, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact
wrote:

We have three double windows in our house in which the summer sun hits
directly and a good deal of heat is transferred into the house even through
the insulated windows.

I am considering putting in solar screens to reduce the heat and AC
requirement.

A couple phone calls for ball park cost is between $300 & $450. Each
double window is 5' 5" wide by 6' high. The cost seems a bit high for
screens but I've no experience with screens and don't know anyone who has
them.

Does this seem like a reasonable cost?

How many windows? I have 12 windows and the screens were about
450-500 dollars (?). One thing to look for is the density of the
screen threads (think thread count of sheets). I have the ones with
more thread counts -- that reduces the sunlight even more. The color
matches my house perfectly with some contrast in color.

Do they significantly reduce inside heat?

Yes. I'm in the Mojave Desert, so they are almost mandatory. They
also help reduce dust/flying dirt during windy days. They also
prevent fading of indoor shutters/blinds and furniture.

Are there any disadvantages to them?

Not in my opinion, if one lives in a hot climate. We get extended
days of 115 F temperatures. My last house is now 15 years old and
still had the originals. My current home I had them installed over 5
years ago.

Thanks for you opinions.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

My parents have curtains for the picture windows. You can
get good curtains (white sheets behind the curtains to
reflect the sunshine) for that money.

With the need for Solaar screens as mentioned the subject
line. You'd want the Norwegian brothers Haans, and Laars, to
instaal them? Yaa, I know. Not funny, Chris. Saarry about
that. I maake enough mistaakes.

I wonder if you can buy the film online, and roll it on,
yourself? Saave money.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 16:59:41 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I wonder if you can buy the film online, and roll it on,
yourself?

Find out if the application of "window film" will void the warranty of
your windows. Some window manufacturer's specifically state not to
apply film. YMMV