Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pitting on alum window frames?

For a bunch of floor to ceiling windows, I have noticed extreme
pitting all over their exterior aluminum frames, far deeper than the
anodized layer. I think new window installation would cost a fortune
due to not fitting in the elevator, so I wonder where that leaves us.

I think the root cause is dirt and salt buildup that isn't flushed
due an overhang that protects from rain but not humidity (and not
enough cleaning). So say these are cleaned more regularly - will they
structurally hold up for many more years? Is there some kind of
treatment that would help clean, protect, or disguise?

And if needing replacement, would the whole gigantic windows have to
be replaced, or can you somehow stabilize the glass and unscrew the
frame parts for replacement? The windows/sliding doors are on a high
rise balcony, and function is more of a concern than looks. thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 6:42*pm, dumbstruck wrote:
For a bunch of floor to ceiling windows, I have noticed extreme
pitting all over their exterior aluminum frames, far deeper than the
anodized layer. I think new window installation would cost a fortune
due to not fitting in the elevator, so I wonder where that leaves us.

I think the root cause is dirt and salt buildup that isn't flushed
due *an overhang that protects from rain but not humidity (and not
enough cleaning). So say these are cleaned more regularly - will they
structurally hold up for many more years? Is there some kind of
treatment that would help clean, protect, or disguise?

And if needing replacement, would the whole gigantic windows have to
be replaced, or can you somehow stabilize the glass and unscrew the
frame parts for replacement? The windows/sliding doors are on a high
rise balcony, and function is more of a concern than looks. thanks

How old are the windows? (ie how long have they been corroding?)
How thick is the corroded piece? How deep (actual measurement) are
the pits?
Is the material pitted through in any places?

btw anodizing is typically less than .001" thick

How extensive is the pitting? How easy to clean the pitted pieces?
Can stepped up maintenance be performed?

Answer these questions and you can at least estimate the remaining
life.

Some photos would be helpful.

Does the building have any kind of window washing rig?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 9:42*pm, dumbstruck wrote:
For a bunch of floor to ceiling windows, I have noticed extreme
pitting all over their exterior aluminum frames, far deeper than the
anodized layer. I think new window installation would cost a fortune
due to not fitting in the elevator, so I wonder where that leaves us.

I think the root cause is dirt and salt buildup that isn't flushed
due *an overhang that protects from rain but not humidity (and not
enough cleaning). So say these are cleaned more regularly - will they
structurally hold up for many more years? Is there some kind of
treatment that would help clean, protect, or disguise?

And if needing replacement, would the whole gigantic windows have to
be replaced, or can you somehow stabilize the glass and unscrew the
frame parts for replacement? The windows/sliding doors are on a high
rise balcony, and function is more of a concern than looks. thanks

Actually the problem could be just the opposite...

The infrequent cleaning with the wrong kind of cleaner could be what
is
causing your aluminum window frames to pit because unlike the rest of
the building yours are protected from the rinsing action of
rainfall...

Before you launch into all sorts of paranoid planning, find out what
your
building's window cleaners use to clean the glass... You might be
surprised that they aren't using the same sort of Windex you use for
the inside...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 6:34*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
[...]

Window frames about 35 years old. The pits are about 1/8 inch; not
nearly thru.
I can access outside of windows and ready to treat per your
instructions, thanks. Pits can be an inch to several inches apart.

1954 Alum. Picture Window Wilfred Xavier Pickles Home Repair 17 July 16th 10 10:05 PM
Rotting Window Frames Peter H Home Repair 27 November 21st 09 11:13 PM
Sticky Window -- Alum-a-Lub W. Watson Home Repair 2 May 31st 07 05:27 PM
UPVC Window frames Ian Cornish UK diy 4 August 20th 05 11:00 AM
Fixing to PVA window frames Roly UK diy 12 March 23rd 04 10:37 AM