Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Infrared Red Scanning....

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
SBH wrote:
.....for the home. Is it worth it?

I repaired a loose connection in an outlet on an exterior wall. Upon
doing so, I noticed a draft of cold air from under the outlet.
Therefore, I temporarily plugged it. Directly under the that area in
the basement above my drop ceiling panels, also on the exterior wall,
is another draft which appears to be coming from the side door area.
Two summers past, I used expand foam and caulk along the entire side
of the house and filled in some questionable areas around the door
with cement (threshold area), hoping I might conquer this draft.
Nope, nothing doing and it's aggravating. Therefore, the infrared red
scanning idea comes to mind. I need to find this leak, along with
other reasons why part of my house is colder than the rest.

A cheaper way MIGHT be to obtain a remote-sensing thermometer. You point
it at something and it displays the temperature.

Harbor Freight has a couple of models from $9.95.

I have one of those. The problem I encounter is pinpointing the exact
location. I can point to a corner on wall, an outlet or wall switch which
has a draft, but it doesn't pinpoint the exact location of origin. I'm a
person who likes to fix the problem correctly at the onset.

I am unable to pinpoint this particular draft and it's driving me insane.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 8:23*pm, "SBH" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

SBH wrote:
[...]

Have you tried looking from the outside?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2010 8:23 PM, SBH wrote:
wrote in message
m...
SBH wrote:
[...]

The HVAC supply houses sell little smoke bombs for detecting leaks in
air handling systems. You may be able to buy some but notify the fire
department if you are going to use any. Go to where you suspect the
air could be coming from and set one off.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote the following:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

SBH wrote:

[...]

The Ryobi unit I have has a laser light to aim at the location.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:15:08 -0500, willshak
wrote:

SBH wrote the following:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

SBH wrote:

[...]

My first unit has that laser aimer too - but the area beingmeasured
is a whole lot bigger than the laser spot!!!

I use it for automotive and machine work, checking temperatures.

Just got a Black and Decker "thermal leak detector" for Christmas from
my oldest daughter.
You "calibrate " it to wall temperature and set the switch to the
allowable temperature gradient -1, 5, or 10 degrees F. It shows a
freen spot on the wall within that range, and red or blue if warmer or
colder. Makes a quick sweep pretty painless. Canadian Tire had them
on sale just before Christmas for something like $35. A few weeks
earlier they were on for $50. Regular price is $100 ($99.95)