GE "BAD LINE" Error Message

Old December 24th 10, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE "BAD LINE" Error Message

As my wife was preparing dinner a short while ago, she encountered a loud beep
and a scrolling "BAD LINE" message on our new GE electric stove. According to
the GE web site (their Answer Center is not open), the problem is caused by
faulty wiring. The outlet is the same one we use for the prior stove, and this
stove has worked well for several months.

Resetting the breaker cleared the problem, but now I'm wondering if something
else could be wrong. If there is a problem with this stove, I'd like to learn
about it before the warranty period expires. I already have a bad taste in my
mouth because of the GE dishwasher we bought at the same time. The way they save
energy is they don't wash the dishes. That's another story.

Any thoughts?
Old December 24th 10, 11:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:

As my wife was preparing dinner a short while ago, she encountered a loud beep
and a scrolling "BAD LINE" message on our new GE electric stove. According to
the GE web site (their Answer Center is not open), the problem is caused by
faulty wiring. The outlet is the same one we use for the prior stove, and this
stove has worked well for several months.

Resetting the breaker cleared the problem, but now I'm wondering if something
else could be wrong. If there is a problem with this stove, I'd like to learn
about it before the warranty period expires. I already have a bad taste in my
mouth because of the GE dishwasher we bought at the same time. The way they save
energy is they don't wash the dishes. That's another story.

Any thoughts?

It could be a problem with the stove, but it could also be an indication
of an electrical problem such as a loose connection which could be
anywhere between the power terminals in the stove where the stove cord
connects, the receptacle, on back to the breaker in the panel. If it
were my stove, the first thing I would do is turn off the breaker and
tighten all of those connections and note if any were loose and/or
showed discoloration from heating.
Old December 25th 10, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
As my wife was preparing dinner a short while ago, she encountered a
loud beep and a scrolling "BAD LINE" message on our new GE electric
stove. According to the GE web site (their Answer Center is not
open), the problem is caused by faulty wiring. The outlet is the same
one we use for the prior stove, and this stove has worked well for
several months.

Resetting the breaker cleared the problem, but now I'm wondering if
something else could be wrong. If there is a problem with this stove,
I'd like to learn about it before the warranty period expires. I
already have a bad taste in my mouth because of the GE dishwasher we
bought at the same time. The way they save energy is they don't wash
the dishes. That's another story.

Any thoughts?

It could lots of things. It could even be your power company dropped a leg
temporarily.

When (if) it happens again, measure the voltage at the outlet. That might
provide a clue.

As for the dishwasher, turn the "Power Saver" switch to off.

Old December 25th 10, 12:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/24/2010 3:10 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
As my wife was preparing dinner a short while ago, she encountered a loud beep
and a scrolling "BAD LINE" message on our new GE electric stove. According to
the GE web site (their Answer Center is not open), the problem is caused by
faulty wiring. The outlet is the same one we use for the prior stove, and this
stove has worked well for several months.

Resetting the breaker cleared the problem, but now I'm wondering if something
else could be wrong. If there is a problem with this stove, I'd like to learn
about it before the warranty period expires. I already have a bad taste in my
mouth because of the GE dishwasher we bought at the same time. The way they save
energy is they don't wash the dishes. That's another story.

Any thoughts?

It could have been a glitch in your incoming power if all electrical
connections are good. The problem with all these newfangled computer
controlled appliances is the same problem that a computer could have
because of dirty power. I'm talking about voltage spikes, surges and
blinks. I know a fellow who had a problem with a microprocessor
controlled cloths dryer because of a voltage sag every time a pump
motor kicked on. If you keep having problems after eliminating bad
electrical connections as a cause, you may ask your power company
if they could/would setup a power monitor for you. The electrical
power disruption could come from a transformer blocks away from your home.

TDD
Old December 25th 10, 05:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

Large computer centers have UPS power to the facility. And these UPS
have electric power "event logs". These record any "glitches" in the
electric company supplied power...

And it is typical for there to be power line glitches 20 times a day
or more! Many of these glitches are minor. Then every so often there
is a major power line glitch. But with most of these, you would not
notice anything. The lights would remain on. For the worst, the lights
might dim for a moment...

But your electric range might notice this!

Solutions are to keep resetting the breaker, get an electric range
with no electronics (old fashioned on off switches), or get a 240 volt
UPS system which would be the size of two refrigerators and would
probably be about the cost of a car!