Posted to alt.home.repair

Default spraying latex on garage drywall?

Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer,
and I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex
drywall primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I
think there is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing
ceilings, with the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full
doing the ceiling. Any real life experience out there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:16:41 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer,
and I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex
drywall primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I
think there is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing
ceilings, with the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full
doing the ceiling. Any real life experience out there?

Yes. But I used a Graco airless paint sprayer. Wouldn't change a
thing. I tried a Wagner "bumble bee" sprayer once on some doors. I'll
never use one again.

If you stick with a white flat sheen paint, it looks best. Get into
colors and gloss -- you will see imperfections in the drywall. Not all
garage walls are finished as well as interior walls.

With the airless sprayer you can rent one. Clean up is important.

I always strain my paints when using a sprayer. Takes out the gubbers
and less clogging in the spray tip.

Two cents...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:16:41 -0500, Tony Miklos wrote:

Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer,
and I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex
drywall primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I
think there is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing
ceilings, with the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full
doing the ceiling. Any real life experience out there?

I have an old Wagner also and used the tubing to suck paint out of the full
can. You can then spray at any angle. As Oren said, not many garages are
finished to interior standards. Doing a texture on the walls would solve
that problem with colored paint
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer, and
I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex drywall
primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I think there
is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing ceilings, with
the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full doing the ceiling.
Any real life experience out there?

I used my Wagner spray for about 2 gallons and trashed it. Either get a
real sprayer or use a roller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2010 3:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer,
and I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex
drywall primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I
think there is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing
ceilings, with the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full
doing the ceiling. Any real life experience out there?

I used my Wagner spray for about 2 gallons and trashed it. Either get a
real sprayer or use a roller.

You used yours a gallon more than I used mine.....don't even remember
what I did with it nor do I care. I purchased it to paint approximately
800' of wood picket fence. Ended up taking each panel down and painting
them with a brush.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer, and
I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex drywall
primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I think there
is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing ceilings, with
the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full doing the ceiling.
Any real life experience out there?

First, chuck the Wagner, and either rent or buy a good airless. I got a
Graco XR7 for $300 for some remodels, and used it on a lot of things
afterward, and they are great.

That being said, they do have some big downsides. It amounts to applying
paint with a garden hose, so you have to be prepared and do it right. You
need to remove or mask anything that will get paint on it. There is a LOT
of overspray. Second, backroll it. That is, have someone right behind you
with a 3/4" nap roller to even out what you spray. It will look a lot
better. You will have to change the roller often, as it builds up with
paint. Use the look of the stipple to know when to change rollers.

If this is a garage, it doesn't have to be perfect, but you want it to look
nice. Be sure to use the right tip orifice, as they have all sizes, and
that determines how much paint comes out.

Use large buckets to put more than one gallon of paint into, as an airless
will suck up a gallon in a very short time, and you don't want to stop
painting to change buckets, and end up with a dry line.

Good luck.

I do not regret a bit spending that much for an airless. On jobs I have
used it that required a real painting, it shone. Two of us did 100' of
block wall once in less than an hour. It would have taken us two days with
rollers.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer,
and I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex
drywall primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I
think there is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing
ceilings, with the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full
doing the ceiling. Any real life experience out there?

My luck with the wagners has not been good. They make a nice job when
they work, but I've had them "jam up". If not on the first job, on the
second or third.

Overspray with an air sprayer can be an issue - I'd only use a HVLP
type sprayer
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can't beat a Graco. And filtering is DEFINITELY important, with
ANY paint, in ANY sprayer (with the possible exception of the Graco.
That thing could pretty well pump putty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:58:01 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

On 12/19/2010 3:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer,
and I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex
drywall primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I
think there is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing
ceilings, with the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full
doing the ceiling. Any real life experience out there?

I used my Wagner spray for about 2 gallons and trashed it. Either get a
real sprayer or use a roller.

You used yours a gallon more than I used mine.....don't even remember
what I did with it nor do I care. I purchased it to paint approximately
800' of wood picket fence. Ended up taking each panel down and painting
them with a brush.

Don

The last one I used went back to Home Despot in the box, covered in
paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:58:01 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

I used my Wagner spray for about 2 gallons and trashed it. Either get a
real sprayer or use a roller.

You used yours a gallon more than I used mine.....don't even remember
what I did with it nor do I care. I purchased it to paint approximately
800' of wood picket fence. Ended up taking each panel down and painting
them with a brush.

Don

You guys are patient. I used less than a quart before I washed and
took the bumble bee electric sprayer back. I just had a few interior
doors to spray. Finished them with brush.

This week confirmed it for me, regarding Wagner products.

I bought a Wagner Paint Eater (stripper) this year. It worked great
and did the job, except the damn thing broke after the third abrasive
pad was put on.

I'm done with Wagner..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone have experience with this? Lows has a $50 latex paint sprayer,
and I have an old wagner electric sprayer. I would be doing latex
drywall primer followed by latex semi gloss (or maybe less gloss). I
think there is an attachment for the Wagner that points up for doing
ceilings, with the air gun I suppose I'd have to keep it fairly full
doing the ceiling. Any real life experience out there?

My luck with the wagners has not been good. They make a nice job when
they work, but I've had them "jam up". If not on the first job, on the
second or third.

Overspray with an air sprayer can be an issue - I'd only use a HVLP
type sprayer

Well thanks for all the replies, I suppose there is a good reason why that
Wagner hasn't come out of the box in years. Time to toss it and make more
room on the shelf.

I'll check into renting an airless.

I would just roll it..Even if you spray it you should have/hire a helper to
roll behind you especially for a first time rookies as you will have runs
and holidays..No offense...Covering the floor , windows , doors ect. negates
any time savings and you will use more paint spraying it....In a nutshell it
will cost you more and take longer to spray it...The ONLY time I spray is
when I have a whole house to prime and then I roll the finish coats of
paint..All the other pros I know do it that way as well...HTH...