Drywall over brick walls in basement

Old December 8th 10, 10:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall over brick walls in basement

I live in Toronto. I have an old (c 1920) brick home with an
unfinished basement. I would like to drywall the basement to give it
a bit of a finished look.

The walls are dry. There is some efflorescence on the brick below
grade. It powers and bubbles a bit, but it is a slow growing process.

I believe that what I need to do is put 1x3 wood strapping on the
brick, and drywall over the strapping.

1.) Any tips on fixing the strapping to the brick? Tapcons will be a
very laborious process. Can I use masonry nails to lag them onto the
brick (or mortar)?

2.) That done, any special tips on dealing with the drywall?

Thanks,

Ian
Old December 8th 10, 10:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ian Stock" wrote in message
I live in Toronto. I have an old (c 1920) brick home with an
unfinished basement. I would like to drywall the basement to give it
a bit of a finished look.

The walls are dry. There is some efflorescence on the brick below
grade. It powers and bubbles a bit, but it is a slow growing process.

I believe that what I need to do is put 1x3 wood strapping on the
brick, and drywall over the strapping.

1.) Any tips on fixing the strapping to the brick? Tapcons will be a
very laborious process. Can I use masonry nails to lag them onto the
brick (or mortar)?

2.) That done, any special tips on dealing with the drywall?

Thanks,

Ian

Use 2 x 4, insulate, then sheetrock. You can anchor the frame into the
floor and ceiling. You can also use something like www.insofast.com but I
have no idea if they are available in your area.

Old December 8th 10, 11:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Ian Stock" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I did over block walls. Also added a layer of polyethylene
film over the block first and insulated between the 2x4's. Did not need
to attach to wall.
Old December 8th 10, 11:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ian Stock" wrote in message
[...]

Don't use regular drywall- use the non-paper-coated stuff. Basement may
seem dry, but even slight humidity over time will give drywall that
funky basement smell. It costs a little more than regular drywall, but
IMHO it is cheap insurance.

--
aem sends...
Old December 8th 10, 11:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ian Stock" wrote in message
I live in Toronto. I have an old (c 1920) brick home with an
unfinished basement. I would like to drywall the basement to give it
a bit of a finished look.

The walls are dry. There is some efflorescence on the brick below
grade. It powers and bubbles a bit, but it is a slow growing process.

I believe that what I need to do is put 1x3 wood strapping on the
brick, and drywall over the strapping.

1.) Any tips on fixing the strapping to the brick? Tapcons will be a
very laborious process. Can I use masonry nails to lag them onto the
brick (or mortar)?

2.) That done, any special tips on dealing with the drywall?

Thanks,

Ian

I like the 2x4 solution suggested by others as the best choice.

If that doesn't work for you apply at least 4 mil plastic over the bricks
before you add your 1x3 wood strapping.

I would use exterior, galvanized fasteners if I did not use Tapcons.

--
Colbyt

Old December 8th 10, 11:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 5:06*pm, Ian Stock wrote:
I live in Toronto. *I have an old (c 1920) brick home with an
unfinished basement. *I would like to drywall the basement to give it
a bit of a finished look.

The walls are dry. *There is some efflorescence on the brick below
grade. *It powers and bubbles a bit, but it is a slow growing process.

I believe that what I need to do is put 1x3 wood strapping on the
brick, and drywall over the strapping.

1.) *Any tips on fixing the strapping to the brick? *Tapcons will be a
very laborious process. *Can I use masonry nails to lag them onto the
brick (or mortar)?

2.) *That done, any special tips on dealing with the drywall?

Thanks,

Ian

Sorry, I don't follow why Tapcons are labourious compared to driving
masonry nails. Do you have arms like The Hulk?

Tapcons, a 1/2" hammer drill w/ masonry bit and an 18v cordless drill
with a long driver bit is pretty quick unless you don't have anybody
to hold the furring up to the wall for you.

Chris
Old December 9th 10, 07:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:06:06 -0800 (PST), Ian Stock
wrote:

I live in Toronto. I have an old (c 1920) brick home with an
unfinished basement. I would like to drywall the basement to give it
a bit of a finished look.

The walls are dry. There is some efflorescence on the brick below
grade. It powers and bubbles a bit, but it is a slow growing process.

I believe that what I need to do is put 1x3 wood strapping on the
brick, and drywall over the strapping.

1.) Any tips on fixing the strapping to the brick? Tapcons will be a
very laborious process. Can I use masonry nails to lag them onto the
brick (or mortar)?

2.) That done, any special tips on dealing with the drywall?

Thanks,

First thought -- old brick has a nice warm feel about it. Maybe keep
a feature wall.

Now, to your question:

1) If space is at an absolute premium, you can drywall against the
brick, assuming the wall is reasonably plumb. I'd just PL Premium
the board against the brick ... drill a few tapcons INTO MORTAR
JOINTS to hold the board while the glue sets up. You can remove these
screws or not, later.

This doesn't deal with insulating and vapour barrier -- you're better
off and warmer with (2).....

2) If you can spare four and a half inches, frame a wall in front of
the brick with two by four, insulate with R12 and poly, then board
in the normal way.

special tips on drywall ? Just the usual.

Figure out ahead of time how you will get the board into the basement.

Drywall companies will deliver AND PLACE the drywall into the
basement, assuming you're doing more than just a couple of hundred
square feet. Board and delivery usually works out to what you'd pay to
wrestle the stuff home from HD or such.

Order lengths (8, 10, 12, 14 footers) to fit wall lengths. Google
installing drywall to see how to fit into room walls.

Ceiling first, then walls. If you can find a pro who will board and
tape for you, grab him. Save you money and aggravation.
If you can't, download a video and invest in some tools.

LOL = lots of luck.

Ken in Calgary

Old December 9th 10, 01:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ian Stock" wrote in message

[...]

Good idea, however, if you really need the space, I've used 2x2s. A
2x2 can serve as the plate and header. You can nail, glue, or screw
the 2x2s to the wall in a few spots to keep it sturdy. In my case,
the bottom was concrete and the top was old brick which was
efflorescing (sp?). The wall was extremely uneven, but I attached
it where is seemed strong sometimes using shims to make the new wall
plumb. And, in Canada, insulate as much a possible, using 2" foam
and a vapor barrier.
Old December 9th 10, 04:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In the past, I usually Thoroseal the foundation walls. It makes a
nice finish and seals it good. Then I frame with 2X4's using wood
studs and metal tracks on the top and bottom, makes it easy to put in
the studs.Then I use regular R-13 batts w/ paper vapor barrier. I use
the mold/mildew resistant sheetrock (green or purple in color) just
for an added protection.
Old December 9th 10, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 5:06*pm, Ian Stock wrote:
I live in Toronto. *I have an old (c 1920) brick home with an
unfinished basement. *I would like to drywall the basement to give it
a bit of a finished look.

The walls are dry. *There is some efflorescence on the brick below
grade. *It powers and bubbles a bit, but it is a slow growing process.

I believe that what I need to do is put 1x3 wood strapping on the
brick, and drywall over the strapping.

1.) *Any tips on fixing the strapping to the brick? *Tapcons will be a
very laborious process. *Can I use masonry nails to lag them onto the
brick (or mortar)?

2.) *That done, any special tips on dealing with the drywall?

Thanks,

Ian

Bricks are usually laid with the outside edge true. This may mean the
inside can be a little wonky. If this is the case you wont be able to
fasten to the wall.....so check your wall with a straight edge before
you start attaching framing to it.

Jimmie

Joining two brick walls The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 October 12th 08 02:43 PM
Solid brick walls Jeweller UK diy 16 August 26th 08 07:22 PM
Finishing Basement Walls: Drywall Backer Required with Planking ? [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 17th 06 03:09 PM
Paint interior brick BEFORE drywall? TC Home Repair 0 March 16th 06 11:39 AM
Turning Brick to drywall Corporate Monkey Home Repair 8 May 25th 05 10:59 PM