Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multi-Tool Question

Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I went
to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific blade. Aren't
they interchangable?

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2010 12:45 PM, Michael Dobony wrote:
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I went
to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific blade. Aren't
they interchangable?

Mike D.

That is odd. I bought some blades from my HF tool at Sutherlands. I
believe there are some tools that use different blades, but I was
under the impression that most of them use the same blades. Basically
look at it and make sure that the blades have the circle of holes
around the mounting hole. They should work just fine.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 1:45*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I went
to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific blade. Aren't
they interchangable?

Some are. Some aren't. There's no industry standard, especially now
that the multi-tool market is so competitive.

All you can do is buy one and try it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/29/2010 12:45 PM, Michael Dobony wrote:
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered.
I went to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific
blade. Aren't they interchangable?

Mike D.

That is odd. I bought some blades from my HF tool at Sutherlands. I
believe there are some tools that use different blades, but I was
under the impression that most of them use the same blades. Basically
look at it and make sure that the blades have the circle of holes
around the mounting hole. They should work just fine.

I see nothing on my HF tool that uses the small holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered.
I went to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific
blade. Aren't they interchangable?

I suspect that MOST blades are interchangeable. If the manufacturers were
smart (HF, no-name, Dremel, Rockwell, etc.), they would follow the Gillette
business model: "Give away the razor and sell the blades."

I'm puzzled how your blade shattered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2010 4:27 PM, Bob F wrote:
Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/29/2010 12:45 PM, Michael Dobony wrote:
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered.
I went to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific
blade. Aren't they interchangable?

Mike D.

That is odd. I bought some blades from my HF tool at Sutherlands. I
believe there are some tools that use different blades, but I was
under the impression that most of them use the same blades. Basically
look at it and make sure that the blades have the circle of holes
around the mounting hole. They should work just fine.

I see nothing on my HF tool that uses the small holes.

On mine there are some small nubs sticking out of the hub on
the tool. They are what hold the blade in place, so it doesn't
rotate while you are using it.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I
went
to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific blade. Aren't
they interchangable?

Mike D.

They may be but there is no guarantee for that. I was at Harbor Freight
when a customers asked if their blades would fit his tool.

The answer was we don't know. We guarantee they fit ours. I don't think
they would have lost a sale if there wasn't some doubt.

My untested opinion is that the arbor hole will never be a problem. It is
those little holes that may not match up.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/29/2010 12:45 PM, Michael Dobony wrote:
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than
HF quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade
shattered. I went to the Borg and they said I need to buy the
brand-specific blade. Aren't they interchangable?

Mike D.
That is odd. I bought some blades from my HF tool at Sutherlands. I believe
there are some tools that use different blades, but I was
under the impression that most of them use the same blades. Basically look
at it and make sure that the blades have the circle
of holes around the mounting hole. They should work just fine.

I see nothing on my HF tool that uses the small holes.

On mine there are some small nubs sticking out of the hub on
the tool. They are what hold the blade in place, so it doesn't
rotate while you are using it.

Mine just has a series of radial ribs on the washer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote in
:

Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

Is your the HF variable speed?

The basic single speed does not have nubs yet the Dremel blades fit with
reports of it vibrating loose at times.

I thought I read in this NG someone haveing the HF VS said it had nubs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2010 6:52 PM, Red Green wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

I have the original HF single speed. It does have nubs.

In fact I have 2 more here new in the box that both have nubs.
Christmas is coming.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

I suspect that MOST blades are interchangeable. If the manufacturers were
smart (HF, no-name, Dremel, Rockwell, etc.), they would follow the Gillette
business model: "Give away the razor and sell the blades."

What few realize is that the Gillette business model was conceived well
prior to the razor. The fellow searched for several years for a product
that would fit the model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 8:13*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"HeyBub" wrote:

I suspect that MOST blades are interchangeable. If the manufacturers were
smart (HF, no-name, Dremel, Rockwell, etc.), they would follow the Gillette
business model: "Give away the razor and sell the blades."

What few realize is that the Gillette business model was conceived well
prior to the razor. The fellow searched for several years for a product
that would fit the model.

Or give away printers and sell ink cartridges. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:40:14 -0500, Colbyt wrote:

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I
went
to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific blade. Aren't
they interchangable?

Mike D.

They may be but there is no guarantee for that. I was at Harbor Freight
when a customers asked if their blades would fit his tool.

The answer was we don't know. We guarantee they fit ours. I don't think
they would have lost a sale if there wasn't some doubt.

My untested opinion is that the arbor hole will never be a problem. It is
those little holes that may not match up.

That is my concern. I bought a HF blade and it fits. However, I would
rather spend a few more $$ to get a quality blade that would hold up
longer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:47:38 -0600, Michael Dobony
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:40:14 -0500, Colbyt wrote:

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but , Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered. I
went
to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific blade. Aren't
they interchangable?

Mike D.

They may be but there is no guarantee for that. I was at Harbor Freight
when a customers asked if their blades would fit his tool.

The answer was we don't know. We guarantee they fit ours. I don't think
they would have lost a sale if there wasn't some doubt.

My untested opinion is that the arbor hole will never be a problem. It is
those little holes that may not match up.

That is my concern. I bought a HF blade and it fits. However, I would
rather spend a few more $$ to get a quality blade that would hold up
longer.

I haven't used my HF blade much so I can't say how long they last.
Used the straight blade only and it seems to have enough flex that it
won't shatter.
Were you using the round blade?
You say you bought a "better than HF quality" at Sutherlands.
Was it a HF blade that shattered?
I picked up extra sandpaper when I bought my HF and didn't notice
blade prices. Think the blade rack was empty, but not sure.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

I haven't used my HF blade much so I can't say how long they last.
Used the straight blade only and it seems to have enough flex that it
won't shatter.
Were you using the round blade?
You say you bought a "better than HF quality" at Sutherlands.
Was it a HF blade that shattered?
I picked up extra sandpaper when I bought my HF and didn't notice
blade prices. Think the blade rack was empty, but not sure.

--Vic

The straight blades have zero tolerance for a hidden nail. It did not
shatter but it became a hillbilly real quick, lost a bunch of teeth.
Otherwise they seen great.

The 3/4 round blade is mildly more tolerant but does not like nails much
better.

The rounded scraper wears away fairly quickly when removing old caulk from
brick but I would consider that to be in the acceptable range. If I were
banging my head or **** against the brick I bet both would wear much faster.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/29/2010 12:45 PM, Michael Dobony wrote:
Ok, so I bought one as Sutherlands, an off brand, but better than HF
quality, Genesis brand. I replaced 1 window and the blade shattered.
I went to the Borg and they said I need to buy the brand-specific
blade. Aren't they interchangable?

Mike D.

That is odd. I bought some blades from my HF tool at Sutherlands. I
believe there are some tools that use different blades, but I was
under the impression that most of them use the same blades. Basically
look at it and make sure that the blades have the circle of holes
around the mounting hole. They should work just fine.

I see nothing on my HF tool that uses the small holes.

You have an early production version - I have one of those too.

My later cheaper one has the nubs that match the blade holes.

(I'm working on 2 houses - hence the 2 MTs)

They should have recalled that first batch - re-tightening is very
annoying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:

That is my concern. I bought a HF blade and it fits. However, I would
rather spend a few more $$ to get a quality blade that would hold up
longer.

When the HF blade wears down, five minutes with your rotary Dremel will cut
new teeth in it and it will be almost as good as new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob(but not THAT Bob) wrote:
Bob F wrote:

Bill Gill wrote:
[...]

I bought mine maybe 6-8 months ago. It's not that old.

HF Multi-tool Lobby Dosser[_3_] Woodworking 0 July 11th 10 03:09 AM
Multi-tool Mk. I DGDevin Woodworking 3 January 30th 10 09:18 PM
Multi-function tool question Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 4 August 12th 09 10:34 PM
Multi-function tool question Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 0 August 12th 09 06:56 PM
Tip for Bosch PMF Multi Tool The Medway Handyman UK diy 23 September 27th 08 03:35 PM