Making concrete look old & dirty

Old December 2nd 10, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making concrete look old & dirty

I need to patch some concrete outside and I want to be able to match the
color (basically 'dirty looking') and make it look old & weathered.

Can I just add a little 'dirt' (i.e. soil) to the mix to make it look
darker and dirtier or will this create problems such as encouraging
organic growth or weakening the concrete (I would only add a little
bit).

Any better ways to weather concrete?

Note: it's only a small patch so I was hoping for something simple and
cheap...
Old December 2nd 10, 06:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.concretenetwork.com/stained-concrete/
Old December 2nd 10, 06:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 12:40:53 -0500, blueman wrote:

I need to patch some concrete outside and I want to be able to match the
color (basically 'dirty looking') and make it look old & weathered.

Can I just add a little 'dirt' (i.e. soil) to the mix to make it look
darker and dirtier or will this create problems such as encouraging
organic growth or weakening the concrete (I would only add a little
bit).

Any better ways to weather concrete?

Note: it's only a small patch so I was hoping for something simple and
cheap...

Don't use dirt.
You can try to match the aggregate stone, and the sand by using a
similar color. You can buy coloring also.
Last time I bought mortar color powder was 20 years ago, and it was
about 3 bucks a pound, smallest container being 5 lbs.
Never colored concrete.
If the job is small, you might look at aquarium sand and gravel to mix
in with cheap sand and gravel to your portland.
You'd have to test mixes, letting some set before you could see the
outcome.
There's other "issues" with patching concrete depending on what you're
patching.

--Vic

Old December 2nd 10, 06:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Dec 2, 11:40*am, blueman wrote:
I need to patch some concrete outside and I want to be able to match the
color (basically 'dirty looking') and make it look old & weathered.

Can I just add a little 'dirt' (i.e. soil) to the mix to make it look
darker and dirtier or will this create problems such as encouraging
organic growth or weakening the concrete (I would only add a little
bit).

NO! Concrete is sacred. Do not defile the mix with filthy additives.

Any better ways to weather concrete?

Leave it outside for a couple of decades.

Note: it's only a small patch so I was hoping for something simple and
cheap...

There actually are some approved colorants to help match the shade,
but not the texture. Check local ready-mix companies, box stores,
Google, etc. If all else fails, a dab of Lock-Ease dry graphite powder
is chemically neutral and will not affect the concrete mix. The dry
results will not resemble the wet mix appearance, so make a dry mix
before adding water to get a close match.

Joe
Old December 2nd 10, 10:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2010 1:44 PM, DGDevin wrote:

"blueman" wrote in message ...
I need to patch some concrete outside and I want to be able to match the
color (basically 'dirty looking') and make it look old & weathered.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/stained-concrete/

Just smearing a poultice of fireplace ash over it for a few days won't
work? Soot seems to stain stone and mortar lickety-split anywhere near a
fireplace.

--
aem sends....
Old December 3rd 10, 12:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2010 12:40 PM, blueman wrote:
I need to patch some concrete outside and I want to be able to match the
color (basically 'dirty looking') and make it look old& weathered.

Can I just add a little 'dirt' (i.e. soil) to the mix to make it look
darker and dirtier or will this create problems such as encouraging
organic growth or weakening the concrete (I would only add a little
bit).

Any better ways to weather concrete?

Note: it's only a small patch so I was hoping for something simple and
cheap...

Go to Walmart, Michaels or other craft store, buy a couple of bottles of
acryllic craft paint....mix gray, a touch of yellow, a touch of burnt
umber, dab on lightly with a stiff bristle stencil brush. I used it on
concrete to cover dark wood stain that spilled and it did a very
adequate job. Any paint, if not water soluble, is just about impossible
to remove from concrete.
Old December 3rd 10, 12:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Just smearing a poultice of fireplace ash over it for a few days won't
work? Soot seems to stain stone and mortar lickety-split anywhere near a
fireplace.

Maybe he wants to make extra-sure that nobody looks under the patch of fresh
concrete, say for a missing person....

Old December 3rd 10, 09:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 5:40*pm, blueman wrote:
I need to patch some concrete outside and I want to be able to match the
color (basically 'dirty looking') and make it look old & weathered.

Can I just add a little 'dirt' (i.e. soil) to the mix to make it look
darker and dirtier or will this create problems such as encouraging
organic growth or weakening the concrete (I would only add a little
bit).

Any better ways to weather concrete?

Note: it's only a small patch so I was hoping for something simple and
cheap...

Don't add any dirt to the concrete. Just lay and match it as best you
can. Difficult.
To make it look old, get some cow ****, mix with water and sluice
about. This promotes algy which is why your concrete looks dirty.
Don't expect it to work i cold weather though. Niffs a bit.
Old December 3rd 10, 04:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith writes:
[...]

The job is *real* small - basically we have an old millstone out front as a
stepping stone to our front porch (it looks really nice).

Whoever put in the millstone, filled the old central hole with concrete
that matches the stone itself pretty well.
HOWEVER, the fill is about 1/4 -1/8 inch short of the surface, so water still
pools there forming ice in the winter which is dangerous...

I would like to level it off with a thin veneer of new matching concrete
(erring if anything on the side of being slightly proud of the
surrounding surface).

I plan to use a latex binder instead of water in the mix so it will bind
better to the old stone and concrete.

I probably only need maybe 8-16 ounces total to make the patch so buying
pounds of colorant seems like a waste...

For such a small batch I didn't want to starty buying and mixing up my
own batch of concrete. So my plan was to use quickrete filtered of any
of the stones plus maybe a little mortar (all of which I have hanging
around) and add a small biit of something to make it look dirtier.

I just need to know what something to use...

Perhaps I would be best off adding some aquarium sand to the mortar mix
I currently have.

Any suggestions?

Old December 3rd 10, 05:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

grout.

it comes in lots of different colors and is a cement product, so can be
mixed with concrete with no affects. try a couple different colors mixed so
it's blotchy.