Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV with external speakers

Hi,

I have a question that's probably off-topic for this group, but this is
the group where I get all my answers so I'm going for it.

I want to connect my TV to external ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

Does anyone know of a TV that has a built-in pre-amp so I can go
straight to speakers?

Alternatively, is there a tiny little preamp that's always on that I can
easily hide, e.g. behind the TV mounted on the wall?

Two reasons why I am asking this. First, there is nowhere to put the
pre-amp. Second, I will constantly be bugged about the lack of sound due
to the pre-amp being off or being on the wrong setting, etc.

Thank you!

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 2:08*am, wrote:
On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 00:27:23 -0500, Sam Takoy
wrote:

Hi,

I have a question that's probably off-topic for this group, but this is
the group where I get all my answers so I'm going for it.

I want to connect my TV to external ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

Does anyone know of a TV that has a built-in pre-amp so I can go
straight to speakers?

Alternatively, is there a tiny little preamp that's always on that I can
easily hide, e.g. behind the TV mounted on the wall?

Two reasons why I am asking this. First, there is nowhere to put the
pre-amp. Second, I will constantly be bugged about the lack of sound due
to the pre-amp being off or being on the wrong setting, etc.

Thank you!

Sam

The last 3 TVs I bought have audio line out jacks.
I have it hooked to regular PC speakers. You can get some real nice
ones if you are willing to spend $60-70.
Gearxs.com usually has some on sale but shop around..- Hide quoted text -

I guess the question is what the audio outputs are capable of driving
without assistance. I'd start with finding out the specs of the TV.
If in fact an amp is needed, I would think either Radio Shack or Ebay
would
be a place to look. There has to be small ones for such applications.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 11:27*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a question that's probably off-topic for this group, but this is
the group where I get all my answers so I'm going for it.

I want to connect my TV to external ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

Does anyone know of a TV that has a built-in pre-amp so I can go
straight to speakers?

Alternatively, is there a tiny little preamp that's always on that I can
easily hide, e.g. behind the TV mounted on the wall?

Two reasons why I am asking this. First, there is nowhere to put the
pre-amp. Second, I will constantly be bugged about the lack of sound due
to the pre-amp being off or being on the wrong setting, etc.

Thank you!

Sam

A phono-amp would do what you want, it is just a pass through, with
boost, no controls at all, just 4 rca jacks.
I'm seeing them from under $10 on Ebay to over $100 elsewhere on the
web. You would use your normal volume control on the TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 11:27*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a question that's probably off-topic for this group, but this is
the group where I get all my answers so I'm going for it.

I want to connect my TV to external ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

Does anyone know of a TV that has a built-in pre-amp so I can go
straight to speakers?

Alternatively, is there a tiny little preamp that's always on that I can
easily hide, e.g. behind the TV mounted on the wall?

Two reasons why I am asking this. First, there is nowhere to put the
pre-amp. Second, I will constantly be bugged about the lack of sound due
to the pre-amp being off or being on the wrong setting, etc.

Thank you!

Sam

A pre amp is before the power amp, a power amp or amplifier powers
speakers. You have a pre amp but do you have a power amp in the tv
that allows external speakers. On the back you should have an audio
and video out RCA jacks, this is pre amp level and not enough to drive
speakers, this you would plug into a amp-power amp or powered PC
speakers. Exteral speakers have connections that take raw wire like
you have on the back of an amp so if you dont have those you need an
amp. You probably need an amp of 5-10 watts. radio shack has Pyle Pro
PCA1 a 2x15w power amp for 40$, it looks like its 30w peak or 10-15w
clean power- 5w a channel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2010 7:59 AM, Jay Hanig wrote:
On 12/5/2010 7:13 AM, wrote:
On Dec 5, 2:08 am, wrote:
The last 3 TVs I bought have audio line out jacks.
I have it hooked to regular PC speakers. You can get some real nice
ones if you are willing to spend $60-70.
Gearxs.com usually has some on sale but shop around..-

I guess the question is what the audio outputs are capable of driving
without assistance. I'd start with finding out the specs of the TV.
If in fact an amp is needed, I would think either Radio Shack or Ebay
would
be a place to look. There has to be small ones for such applications.

I hate the crappy sound that TVs produce and have always hooked them up
to a better system. I've got a home theater system for my main TV but
what I did for the one in the kitchen is just buy a very cheap used
stereo receiver off Craigslist and paired it to some small speakers.

The sound quality is light years beyond what I started with and I bought
the speakers and the receiver for about $50. You just have to watch the
ads for a few days and somebody will advertise some perfectly good
equipment for next to nothing simply to get it out of their house.

Jay

Or drive through an apartment complex on move-out day at the end of the
month, and look by the dumpsters. Most of my stereo equipment was
obtained that way. Not as good a source as it used to be, since most
younger folks (the kind that live in apartments) now seem to favor iPods
and such over traditional stereos. Some of the stuff worked as soon as I
plugged it in, a few needed the cat **** hosed out of them or a fuse
replaced, but very little was actually dead. I've gotten 5 or 6 complete
setups that way, and still have 2 or 3 after giving away or selling the
others in garage sales. Half of my TVs came from the little gray stores
as well. Good source for small microwaves, too. It was a lot easier when
I still lived in the apartments and could peek in the dumpsters as I did
my daily doctor-ordered mile walk- now I drive through a couple times a
week, and only stop if I see something sitting on top or beside, or
evidence of a move-out. (I pass my old apartments on my way to the
grocery store, so it isn't out of my way.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2010 8:10 AM, ransley wrote:
A pre amp is before the power amp, a power amp or amplifier powers
speakers. You have a pre amp but do you have a power amp in the tv
that allows external speakers. On the back you should have an audio
and video out RCA jacks, this is pre amp level and not enough to drive
speakers, this you would plug into a amp-power amp or powered PC
speakers. Exteral speakers have connections that take raw wire like
you have on the back of an amp so if you dont have those you need an
amp. You probably need an amp of 5-10 watts. radio shack has Pyle Pro
PCA1 a 2x15w power amp for 40$, it looks like its 30w peak or 10-15w
clean power- 5w a channel.

Once again, I recommend getting a used stereo amp off Craigslist. Why
screw around with 15 watts per channel when you can have 100 watts for
the same money? You don't have to play things any louder; the sound
will just be cleaner with no audible distortion. Plus you don't have to
worry about preamp/ power amp questions since a receiver includes both.

I did the same thing when I was looking for a boombox for the garage. I
ended up with an actual audio system out there for less than a cheesy
boombox would run from Target.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 5:27*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a question that's probably off-topic for this group, but this is
the group where I get all my answers so I'm going for it.

I want to connect my TV to external ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

Does anyone know of a TV that has a built-in pre-amp so I can go
straight to speakers?

Alternatively, is there a tiny little preamp that's always on that I can
easily hide, e.g. behind the TV mounted on the wall?

Two reasons why I am asking this. First, there is nowhere to put the
pre-amp. Second, I will constantly be bugged about the lack of sound due
to the pre-amp being off or being on the wrong setting, etc.

Thank you!

Sam

You need to get yourself a "surround sound" or "home cinema" system.
They come with an elecrtonic box of tricks that makes wonderful
sound. Wide range of prices, gimmmicks and gadgets :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Eric in North TX wrote:

[...]

When I hear the word "phono" I think of LP records. If you're referring
to a pre-amp LPs, that's definitely not what the OP wants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/10 12:27 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a question that's probably off-topic for this group, but this is
the group where I get all my answers so I'm going for it.

I want to connect my TV to external ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

Does anyone know of a TV that has a built-in pre-amp so I can go
straight to speakers?

Alternatively, is there a tiny little preamp that's always on that I can
easily hide, e.g. behind the TV mounted on the wall?

Two reasons why I am asking this. First, there is nowhere to put the
pre-amp. Second, I will constantly be bugged about the lack of sound due
to the pre-amp being off or being on the wrong setting, etc.

Thank you!

Sam

Geeks.com seems to deal in closeouts. It has lots of multimedia speaker
sets in the $5 range. They contain amplifiers and can be left on. Just
disconnect the speaker wires and connect your speaker wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 5, 10:57*am, harry wrote:
[...]

Why? All he wants to do is hookup two existing speakers in his
KITCHEN.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 5, 9:03*am, Jay Hanig wrote:
[...]

At the same volume it won't sound any differently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

I have a question that's probably off-topic for this group, but this is
the group where I get all my answers so I'm going for it.

I want to connect my TV to external ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

Does anyone know of a TV that has a built-in pre-amp so I can go
straight to speakers?

Alternatively, is there a tiny little preamp that's always on that I can
easily hide, e.g. behind the TV mounted on the wall?

Two reasons why I am asking this. First, there is nowhere to put the
pre-amp. Second, I will constantly be bugged about the lack of sound due
to the pre-amp being off or being on the wrong setting, etc.

Thank you!

Sam

Your TV has a preamp - what you need is a power amp to run ceiling
speakers:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=310-300

Use either the Stereo Out or Headphone Out jacks on your TV to hook it
up. Watch the video for details.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2010 7:22 PM, Ron wrote:
Once again, I recommend getting a used stereo amp off Craigslist. Why
screw around with 15 watts per channel when you can have 100 watts for
the same money? You don't have to play things any louder; the sound
will just be cleaner with no audible distortion.

At the same volume it won't sound any differently.

It certainly can. Crappy amplifiers like the ones they build into TVs
have all sorts of harmonic and IM distortion. A better amplifier can
have more than just measurably cleaner numbers; it can be audibly
cleaner. Nothing grates on my nerves more than an overdriven amplifier.

If you push an underpowered amp too much, the sine waves clip and the
resulting distortion is very audible. Enough clipping and you will
destroy a set of speakers.

Jay

OT tv speakers Stuart Noble UK diy 44 October 10th 09 11:40 AM
A couple of speakers - speakers.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 May 8th 09 11:11 PM
A couple of speakers - speakers.jpg (1/1) [email protected] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 May 8th 09 04:06 AM
New TV / Loud whining sound from external speakers when turned off Vickie Electronics Repair 6 May 12th 07 05:43 PM
Wireless Speakers: RCA Speakers Only Work when on Same Electrical Outlet as Transmitter / What is Problem? Lin Electronics Repair 11 April 24th 07 09:37 PM