Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Do You "TIN" a soldering iron?

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 17:14:47 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 23:38:31 -0600, "
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 22:41:14 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 18:44:24 -0600, "
wrote:

Claire is a moron.
I don't know who this Claire is - might well be a moron.

Misspelled, *that* wasn't intended as a slight.

However,
This from an expert:
Traditional tin-lead materials are not compatible with lead-free
device finishes.

Other than BGAs, one doesn't reflow the part, dummy. The solder paste gets
reflowed. ...and once again, we were talking about *repair*.

Because proper reflow for lead-free materials can
only be achieved with higher temperatures, attempting to process
lead-free terminated devices in 183?C tin-lead conditions leads to
incomplete wetting and the related issues of voiding and opens.

Wrong. As long as the solder paste is appropriate, it doesn't much matter
whether the part is tin, tin-lead, or gold (or any other commonly used finish)
tin-lead solder will wick just fine. ...better than lead-free solder will on
the same parts, in fact.

Doug Dixon, Global Marketing Director
Henkel Corp
Mr. Dixon has been in the electronics field for over twenty years and
is the Global Marketing Director with the electronics group of Henkel.
Prior to joining Henkel, he worked for Raytheon, Camalot Systems, and
Universal Instruments.

You can't read.

I'll take his word over someone ( a usenet engineer) who fudges his ID
on usenet.

Yes indeed, who would believe a Usenet liar, like Clare?

And another expert agrees:
Many of the components manufactured in the last few years have been
lead free, especially surface mount chip components as they are Tin
plated.

Indeed, almost all *are* tin plated.

Can you solder these with 60/40 tin/lead solders, the answer is yes
and millions of solder joint have been soldered this way for years.
The problem however is some of the Lead-Free component plated RoHS
components have a SAC alloy for a lead coating and this is the issue.

The 60/40 alloy will not be hot enough to melt the SAC alloy to create
a sound joint. Yes, many papers have been are being published stating
that this will work, but keep in mind the thermal profile and the
length of time the solder joint needs to be above the reflow
temperature to all complete dissolution of the Tin/Lead into the SAC
alloy coating or solder balls on the components. This is much
different than what was used to the low temperature Tin/Lead alloys
and dwell times above the reflow temperature is going to have to
increase to create a sound solder joint.

Nonsense. It works fine.

Untill it doesn't.
Leo Lambert, Vice President, Technical Director
EPTAC Corporation
At EPTAC Corporation, Mr. Lambert oversees content of course
offerings, IPC Certification programs and provides customers with
expert consultation in electronics manufacturing, including RoHS/WEEE
and lead free issues. Leo is also the IPC General Chairman for the
Assembly/Joining Process Committee.

Again, I'll take the word of an acknowleged expert in the field over
that of the unknown usenet engineer.

If you are 100% certain your RoHS compliant components have tin
coating, you CAN use leaded solder.

They *all* are. Yes, I have checked all of our parts because that's part of
what I do.

Back to the original point, *REPAIR*. Leaded solder is just fine to repair
RoHS gizmos.

If you are just ASSuming all RoHS compliant components have tin coated
leads, you are treading on extremely thin ice.

Clueless Clare.

I have stated that using leaded solder with RoHS compliant components
is "not best practice" and can lead to product failures.

Again, clueless. Repairing RoHS boards with leaded solder is, in fact, better
than using lead free precisely because of the difference in temperatures and
better wetting.

I'm not saying you can't get away with it some or most of the time -
I'm saying it is not correct, and it is wrong and dangerous to say it
is "safe" or "proper" to solder RoHS compliant components with regular
lead-based solders.
Recommending it is not being responsible, without at least adding the
possibilities of the "gotchas" which are well documented and
recognized by the experts, and which I have provided cites for.

Clueless Clare backpedals more.

No backpdaling at all.

Bull****.

I said in the beginning you will often get away with it, but it is
not the "recommended" way, it is not "best practice" and in some cases
it WILL bite you.

The subject was repair, Clueless Clare.

In your case you have double checked and all your components are tin
coated leads, so for you it will work.
Some components are NOT tin coated, and those can cause problems.

Exceedingly rare (never saw one). Some are gold flashed, which is peachy,
too.

Everyone on the list is aware of it now , and knows your opinion.
They also now know that there CAN be issues - so they can do as they
like, and take their chances in situations where they are not sure of
the coating if they want to.

They also know you as Clueless Clare.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:46:19 -0500, Tony Miklos wrote:

WALLAH!

Just what the hell is "WALLAH" anyway?

Half of an Oregon city?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:29:04 -0600, "
wrote:

I said in the beginning you will often get away with it, but it is
not the "recommended" way, it is not "best practice" and in some cases
it WILL bite you.

The subject was repair, Clueless Clare.

The subject still IS repair.

If you are replacing a component with an RoHS compliant component that
is NOT tin plated, you MAY run into the problems noted.

In your case you have double checked and all your components are tin
coated leads, so for you it will work.
Some components are NOT tin coated, and those can cause problems.

Exceedingly rare (never saw one). Some are gold flashed, which is peachy,
too.

Everyone on the list is aware of it now , and knows your opinion.
They also now know that there CAN be issues - so they can do as they
like, and take their chances in situations where they are not sure of
the coating if they want to.

They also know you as Clueless Clare.

I've been called worse.
And you get called a LOT worse by your customers when you screw up a
"simple" repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Miklos wrote:

WALLAH!

Just what the hell is "WALLAH" anyway?

An ignorant misspelling of voila.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2010 8:29 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Tony wrote:

WALLAH!

Just what the hell is "WALLAH" anyway?

An ignorant misspelling of voila.

Ain't that there one O them big fiddles them folks play in uh oakastra?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

* Tony *wrote:

WALLAH!

Just what the hell is "WALLAH" anyway?

An ignorant misspelling of voila.

Ain't that there one O them big fiddles them folks play in uh oakastra?

TDD

TELL'IM SQUEAZEBOX..I TAKE IT BACK, IT'S A MAGICAL MOMENT.
BING BANG WALLAH WALLAH !
YOU TROLLS REALLY DO NOT HAVE MUCH OF EXCITMENT IN YOUR LIVES, SO I
WAS TRYING TO ADD A LITTLE PIZZAZZ TO THE THREAD.

PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A few weeks ago I installed a couple of 35 amp bridge rectifiers. The
leads were, as they often are, blackish colored and do not tin very
well. Seems they always come that way, even from different
distributors. They always get hand cleaned with the same brass wool I
use for the soldering iron before being installed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2010 4:51 PM, George wrote:
On 12/6/2010 4:46 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

WALLAH!

Just what the hell is "WALLAH" anyway?

I think it is a type of onion..

http://www.sweetonions.org/

LOL! I should have googled it. Do you rub the soldering iron in a
fresh cut onion? Or is it like darts and potatoes and just stab the thing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2010 5:37 PM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
wrote:
On 12/6/2010 4:46 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

WALLAH!

Just what the hell is "WALLAH" anyway?

I think it is a type of onion..

http://www.sweetonions.org/

It is another spelling variation on the common usenet exclamation often
written as "viola"

I'll stick with the onions, a "viola" is a musical instrument.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On 12/6/2010 4:46 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

WALLAH!

Just what the hell is "WALLAH" anyway?

I think it is a type of onion..

http://www.sweetonions.org/

It is another spelling variation on the common usenet exclamation often
written as "viola"

OK, it took a minute but now I see the connection. A "viola" is a
musical instrument similar to a fiddle or violin..... which both use
*rosin* on their bow. So now we are back to tinning a soldering iron
with *rosin*! Although I don't see myself buying my rosin from a
musical instruments store, buy hey, that's up to you. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It sounds like these are contaminated. Any abrasive cleaning can damage the
plating and could *easily* cause problems down the road. We used to call
these sorts of things "solder proof" leads. It was generally because the
stock was old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 7:41 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:26:16 -0500, Tony wrote:

[...]

No problem with them 30 years later. I'm not too worried.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:44:23 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

A few weeks ago I installed a couple of 35 amp bridge rectifiers. The
leads were, as they often are, blackish colored and do not tin very
well. Seems they always come that way, even from different
distributors. They always get hand cleaned with the same brass wool I
use for the soldering iron before being installed.

It sounds like these are contaminated. Any abrasive cleaning can damage the
plating and could *easily* cause problems down the road.

No problem with them 30 years later. I'm not too worried.

Black coloured component leads??
Sure sounds like silver plating. Sulphur in the air tarnishes silver,
making a very black coating. Removing the tarnish by abrading should
make a reliable solder joint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A few weeks ago I installed a couple of 35 amp bridge rectifiers. The
leads were, as they often are, blackish colored and do not tin very
well. Seems they always come that way, even from different
distributors. They always get hand cleaned with the same brass wool I
use for the soldering iron before being installed.

It sounds like these are contaminated. Any abrasive cleaning can damage the
plating and could *easily* cause problems down the road.

No problem with them 30 years later. I'm not too worried.

Black coloured component leads??
Sure sounds like silver plating. Sulphur in the air tarnishes silver,
making a very black coating. Removing the tarnish by abrading should
make a reliable solder joint.

Actually it does look like silver... oxide? I've been told that it is
a great electrical conductor, but not great to solder to. Do you know
if the black stuff does really make a better conductor for something
like a switch?

The black tarnish is Silver Sulfide, which is almost as conductive as metallic
silver. Silver oxide, while still a conductor isn't nearly as good. Scraping
it isn't a good idea because it can reveal the metals below. I doubt that
it's silver sulfide, though, because it still should solder well. It's likely
a tin-lead coating that's oxidized. You probably didn't scrape through it, if
that's what it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, it does not - and if my hunch is right they were not black when
they left the factory. It is NOT silver Oxide - it is more like siver
sulphide - Ag2S, or silver chloride.

Both sulphur and chlorine will tarnish (blacken) silver very quickly.

Sulphur will often also blacken tin - so it is possible you just have
"tarnished" tin coating.
Blackened tin is neither a good conductor or a suitable substrate for
soldering.
Tin can also de-zinc brass, which can cause blackening as well if tin
coating is used on brass terminals without a copper or nickel strike
plating as a barrier.

I know Smitty is going to dissagree with me, but so be it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 9:46*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
WALLAH!

Just what the hell is "WALLAH" anyway?

Wallah is Hindu for a "person", usually a servant. As in dobi wallah.
One who washes clothes.
Or an Arabic cuss-word.