Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kerosene -- is there a "stabil" for kerosene?

For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2010 4:13 PM, David Combs wrote:
For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

I've never had to store kerosene for a long period so I Goggled it.

http://www.harvestoutfitters.com/products/list/3

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not sure about the OP, but I know I am.

As to the OP question. Sealed cans help a lot, keep moisture and air
out. I remember something about stabil for kerosene.

Is the kerosene being used in a lamp or a heater, as opposed to
something else? In both cases, the amount of water that can dissolve in
kerosene from exposure to even humid air should not be a problem for the
combustion process or in delivery of kerosene from the tank to the
burner.

Now, if you want a long term storage heat source, propane is your
answer. Unless it leaks out, it never goes bad, ever. 16 ouncer will
heat a room for about 7 hours, with an infared heater. Larger tank,
the "20 pounder" gas grill tank goes about 20 hours on a single burner
infared heater. The hissing noise of the burner gets irritating after
a while.

Is your burner the same for the "20 pounder" and the "16 ouncer"?
If so, then the 20 pounder should run 20 times as long as the 1 pounder,
good for somewhere around 140 hours if the 1 pounder is good for about 7
hours.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 4:13*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch
electric providers.

Have a great day,
Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional
http://www.happynews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

From my own experience with storing cans of kerosene long-term in my
garage, you can keep them around for at least 10-20 years and it will
still be good-as long as it's in a dry environment and in an air-tight
container. It's likely that it can stay useable for 100+ years.

Over the years, the color sometimes turn from clear to a bit yellow
tinted, but I've never noticed any problems with the burning
performance or putting out any off odors.

Also, my only experience applies for K-1 kerosene. I don't know how
well the lower grade kerosene stuff (i.e. red dye) holds up.

Angello

For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote
Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch
electric providers.

Have a great day,
Andy

Just how do you change electric providers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

It keeps a long time. I have stored it over 2 years. My fuel oil in my
tank is 3 years old and still works good; don't use much. Burn wood.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2010 9:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Andy" wrote
Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch
electric providers.

Have a great day,
Andy

Just how do you change electric providers?

Solar power, electricity from God, geothermal, electricity from The
Devil. Perhaps use both with a Yin-Yang distributor to keep good and
evil in balance. Get it installed by that little Mexican electrician,
Jesus and you're good to go. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

I believe K-1 kerosene stores better without treatment than #2 diesel,
and #2 diesel does pretty well by itself. Keeping it sealed and water
free is the main way to ensure long storage life. A biocide is helpful
if there may be some moisture in the fuel that could promote
algae/bacteria growth. Power Service Bio Kleen (not to be confused with
their Diesel Kleen) is a strong biocide that can give you that extra
protection. The cetane boost and anti-gel additives that are available
aren't relevant to kerosene or to basic heaters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 7:46*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Not sure about the OP, but I know I am.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Country" wrote in message

You a prepper?

Don't you have trust in the Lord?
(I do...I let Him decide whether I should freeze to death)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kerosene -- and now, portable propane talk

The 16 ouncer burner is 3,500 bTU per hour, the 20 pounder burner has
a couple settings. 8,000 or 14,000, can't remember off hand. Adaptors
and tubes are sold, to run the smaller burners off gas grill tanks. So
if the smaller burner is enough to heat the area, the larger tank
would be far more cost effective. It's about a dollar a pound for gas
grill tanks, they actually fill more like 16 pounds per tank. The 16
ouncers are $2.50 or so at Walmart. As high as 3.49 in other stores.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

Now, if you want a long term storage heat source, propane is your
answer. Unless it leaks out, it never goes bad, ever. 16 ouncer will
heat a room for about 7 hours, with an infared heater. Larger tank,
the "20 pounder" gas grill tank goes about 20 hours on a single
burner
infared heater. The hissing noise of the burner gets irritating
after
a while.

Is your burner the same for the "20 pounder" and the "16 ouncer"?
If so, then the 20 pounder should run 20 times as long as the 1
pounder,
good for somewhere around 140 hours if the 1 pounder is good for about
7
hours.
--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 8:40*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The 16 ouncer burner is 3,500 bTU per hour, the 20 pounder burner has
a couple settings. 8,000 or 14,000, can't remember off hand. *Adaptors
and tubes are sold, to run the smaller burners off gas grill tanks. So
if the smaller burner is enough to heat the area, the larger tank
would be far more cost effective. It's about a dollar a pound for gas
grill tanks, they actually fill more like 16 pounds per tank. The 16
ouncers are $2.50 or so at Walmart. As high as 3.49 in other stores.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I've been getting some supplies set in for a while now. Going kind of
slow at it tho. I would like to learn more about setting up an
emergency heat source using propane. What models or types/styles of
heaters to get and how to use them safely inside the house. I assume
there needs to be some ventilation.

I have a camp stove but I wonder if a propane setup of some sort for
cooking if the power goes out would be a good idea.

I have a generator that I could use for short term but gasoline is
less dependable for long term power outages.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 8:40*pm, Andy wrote:
On Nov 23, 4:13*pm, (David Combs) wrote:

For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.
Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch
electric providers.

Have a great day,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-de....happynews.com

Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher-
ups are saying. Where are any of the electric providers going to get
fuel to produce electricity then? Where are you going to get food when
the trucks stop running and the grocery shelves are empty?

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 10:14*am, Country wrote:
Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher-
ups are saying. Where are any of the electric providers going to get
fuel to produce electricity then? Where are you going to get food when
the trucks stop running and the grocery shelves are empty?

Can you cite your sources on this?

Keep in mind they don't call "military intelligence" an oxymoron for
nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 9:40*pm, Andy wrote:
If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch
electric providers.

One power outage every 5-10 years is "unreliable?"

Jeez, I better start packing because my power goes out on average 1
time per year.

Where do you live Andy? I'd like to move in next door and share in
that reliable power that never goes out even once in a decade.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 10:24*am, wrote:
On Nov 24, 10:14*am, Country wrote:

Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher-
ups are saying. Where are any of the electric providers going to get
fuel to produce electricity then? Where are you going to get food when
the trucks stop running and the grocery shelves are empty?

Can you cite your sources on this?

Keep in mind they don't call "military intelligence" an oxymoron for
nothing.

I almost jumped on that because I remember seeing reports several
times over the last few years from the military brass warning about
severe oil shortages. But why would I bother if you think Military
Intelligence is an oxymoron. That means you are already prepared not
to believe it.

Just take a look around. Read the news. Things in the US ain't as
stable as they used to be. I hope nothing serious ever happens but if
it does I don't want to be sitting around like those people in New
Orleans during Katrina waiting for the government to save me.

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

It's about a dollar a pound for gas
grill tanks, they actually fill more like 16 pounds per tank. The 16
ouncers are $2.50 or so at Walmart. As high as 3.49 in other stores.

The 20-lb propane tanks I have are marked (on the tank, not a label)
"16.6lb". One came filled with 15lb, the other says 17lb (I think it's
either 16.6 or 17).

--
31 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"If there's room for doubt -- doubt!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

[snip]

Before I left PA, we could pick and choose our electricity providers,
just like picking our phone company. Problem is it's still the same
wires coming to your house.

There might be no difference except in the billing.

BTW, I live in one of the few parts of Texas that doesn't allow choosing
electric "suppliers". We also have relatively low rates. Ti's about 10 cents
per KWH.

--
31 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"If there's room for doubt -- doubt!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

Don't you have trust in the Lord?
(I do...I let Him decide whether I should freeze to death)

Insha'Allah.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Country wrote:

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or
switch electric providers.

Have a great day,
Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-de....happynews.com

Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military
higher- ups are saying. Where are any of the electric providers going
to get fuel to produce electricity then? Where are you going to get
food when the trucks stop running and the grocery shelves are empty?

Electricity generation fuel is a lock. Half of all electricity is generated
by coal, none of which is imported and of which we have a 200-year supply on
hand. The rest of our electricity is generated by hydroelectric, nuclear,
and (mostly) natural gas. We do import a bunch of NG, but we don't need to.
We've got oodles of the stuff readily available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Country wrote:

...snipped...
Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher-
ups are saying.

...snipped...

Are these the same military higher-ups who said we would find weapons of
mass destruction in Iraq?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2010 3:42 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:

[snip]

Before I left PA, we could pick and choose our electricity providers,
just like picking our phone company. Problem is it's still the same
wires coming to your house.

There might be no difference except in the billing.

Exactly my point.

BTW, I live in one of the few parts of Texas that doesn't allow choosing
electric "suppliers". We also have relatively low rates. Ti's about 10 cents
per KWH.

In PA with the old "PP&L" (Pennsylvania Power and Light) we had cheap
rates, then when the government changed the rules to break up the
monopolies it kept going up and up. Here in east TN it's about 11
cents/KWH. I can choose to pay more and 'sponsor' some windmills but I
haven't done that yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 3:39*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,Country wrote:

...snipped...
Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher-
ups are saying.

...snipped...

Are these the same military higher-ups who said we would find weapons of
mass destruction in Iraq?

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

Wasn't that the CIA?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Country wrote:
On Nov 24, 3:39*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
In article

,Country
wrote:

...snipped...
Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher-
ups are saying.

...snipped...

Are these the same military higher-ups who said we would find weapons of
mass destruction in Iraq?

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

Wasn't that the CIA?

Well, I was thinking about Colin Powell doing his dog and pony show
on TV when I wrote that, but you have a point, he was out of the military
at that time and was Secretary of State. At any rate, I suppose he, the
military, and the CIA were just reporting what they were told to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report. I, also, have heard of tanks being
underfilled at the Blue Rhino exchange. I think it's absurd that a 20
pound tank should be designed to take 16 pounds. Should be called a 16
pounder, instead.

I'd be upset if I went to the grocery. Bought a pound of meat, and
came home with 13 ounces. Because they didn't want to overfill the
styrofoam tray.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

It's about a dollar a pound for gas
grill tanks, they actually fill more like 16 pounds per tank. The 16
ouncers are $2.50 or so at Walmart. As high as 3.49 in other stores.

The 20-lb propane tanks I have are marked (on the tank, not a label)
"16.6lb". One came filled with 15lb, the other says 17lb (I think it's
either 16.6 or 17).

--
31 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"If there's room for doubt -- doubt!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let those 72 virgins keep you warm?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Bob Villa wrote:

Don't you have trust in the Lord?
(I do...I let Him decide whether I should freeze to death)

Insha'Allah.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Electricity generation fuel is a lock. Half of all electricity is generated
by coal, none of which is imported and of which we have a 200-year supply on
hand. The rest of our electricity is generated by hydroelectric, nuclear,
and (mostly) natural gas. We do import a bunch of NG, but we don't need to.
We've got oodles of the stuff readily available.

You just keep telling yourself there's nothing to worry about, and then
watch the terrorists break into the coal mines and put anthrax in there.
Poof. Poison electricity, all over the grid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I'd be upset if I went to the grocery. Bought a pound of meat, and
came home with 13 ounces. Because they didn't want to overfill the
styrofoam tray.

I guess you're gonna be really upset when you croak, and you find out
jesus isn't real.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:02:36 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I'd be upset if I went to the grocery. Bought a pound of meat, and
came home with 13 ounces. Because they didn't want to overfill the
styrofoam tray.

I guess you're gonna be really upset when you croak, and you find out
jesus isn't real.

One of you will be, anyhow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Country wrote:
On Nov 24, 3:39 pm, (Larry W) wrote:
In article

,Country
wrote:
...snipped...
Severe fuel shortages are coming. At least that's what military higher-
ups are saying.
...snipped...

Are these the same military higher-ups who said we would find weapons of
mass destruction in Iraq?

Wasn't that the CIA?

Well, I was thinking about Colin Powell doing his dog and pony show
on TV when I wrote that, but you have a point, he was out of the military
at that time and was Secretary of State.

George Tenet, head of the CIA, assured Colin Powell of the accuracy of
all the "facts". Then the "facts" one-by-one turned into non-facts. But
George Tenet got the "Medal of Freedom" from Bush 2. (So did "you're
doing a heck of a job, Brownie".)

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
bud-- wrote:

George Tenet, head of the CIA, assured Colin Powell of the accuracy of
all the "facts". Then the "facts" one-by-one turned into non-facts. But
George Tenet got the "Medal of Freedom" from Bush 2. (So did "you're
doing a heck of a job, Brownie".)

Mr. Tenant was a holdover from the Clinton Administration. Since his
tenure there was distinguished by getting the intelligence that resulted
in us bombing a Sudanese Aspirin Factory and the Chinese Embassy in
Belgrade, I have no idea why he was still around for the Bush
administration to keep him on.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kerosene -- now: Politics in the Clinton admin

Drew attention away from Loral, missile secrets, and other treason,
high crimes and misdemeanors?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
news

George Tenet, head of the CIA, assured Colin Powell of the accuracy
of
all the "facts". Then the "facts" one-by-one turned into non-facts.
But
George Tenet got the "Medal of Freedom" from Bush 2. (So did "you're
doing a heck of a job, Brownie".)

Mr. Tenant was a holdover from the Clinton Administration. Since his
tenure there was distinguished by getting the intelligence that
resulted
in us bombing a Sudanese Aspirin Factory and the Chinese Embassy in
Belgrade, I have no idea why he was still around for the Bush
administration to keep him on.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree
is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2010 4:10 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In T,
wrote:

George Tenet, head of the CIA, assured Colin Powell of the accuracy of
all the "facts". Then the "facts" one-by-one turned into non-facts. But
George Tenet got the "Medal of Freedom" from Bush 2. (So did "you're
doing a heck of a job, Brownie".)

Mr. Tenant was a holdover from the Clinton Administration. Since his
tenure there was distinguished by getting the intelligence that resulted
in us bombing a Sudanese Aspirin Factory and the Chinese Embassy in
Belgrade, I have no idea why he was still around for the Bush
administration to keep him on.

Perhaps he had some dirt he threatened to spill and GW was too moral to
have him killed. Funny thing, when GW assumed command, the death rate of
political figures dropped. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Electricity generation fuel is a lock. Half of all electricity is
generated by coal, none of which is imported and of which we have a
200-year supply on hand. The rest of our electricity is generated by
hydroelectric, nuclear, and (mostly) natural gas. We do import a
bunch of NG, but we don't need to. We've got oodles of the stuff
readily available.

You just keep telling yourself there's nothing to worry about, and
then watch the terrorists break into the coal mines and put anthrax
in there. Poof. Poison electricity, all over the grid.

I didn't say there wasn't anything to worry about.

I said we didn't import irreplaceable fuel for electricity generation!

The vast majority of imported oil is used for transportation. We COULD
replace oil from problematic states with domestic oil were it not for
environmentalist's concerns.

You can't put anthrax in (most) coal mines with any success. Most coal is
mined in open pit mines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the experiences and answers.

Looks like stability is no problem, as long as
it's kept tightly seled-up.

David

Thanks again!