Kerosene -- is there a "stabil" for kerosene?

Old November 23rd 10, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kerosene -- is there a "stabil" for kerosene?

For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

Old November 23rd 10, 10:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2010 4:13 PM, David Combs wrote:
For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

I've never had to store kerosene for a long period so I Goggled it.

http://www.harvestoutfitters.com/products/list/3

TDD

Old November 24th 10, 02:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not sure about the OP, but I know I am.

As to the OP question. Sealed cans help a lot, keep moisture and air
out. I remember something about stabil for kerosene.

Is the kerosene being used in a lamp or a heater, as opposed to
something else? In both cases, the amount of water that can dissolve in
kerosene from exposure to even humid air should not be a problem for the
combustion process or in delivery of kerosene from the tank to the
burner.

Now, if you want a long term storage heat source, propane is your
answer. Unless it leaks out, it never goes bad, ever. 16 ouncer will
heat a room for about 7 hours, with an infared heater. Larger tank,
the "20 pounder" gas grill tank goes about 20 hours on a single burner
infared heater. The hissing noise of the burner gets irritating after
a while.

Is your burner the same for the "20 pounder" and the "16 ouncer"?
If so, then the 20 pounder should run 20 times as long as the 1 pounder,
good for somewhere around 140 hours if the 1 pounder is good for about 7
hours.
--
- Don Klipstein )
Old November 24th 10, 02:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 4:13*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch
electric providers.

Have a great day,
Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional
http://www.happynews.com

Old November 24th 10, 02:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

From my own experience with storing cans of kerosene long-term in my
garage, you can keep them around for at least 10-20 years and it will
still be good-as long as it's in a dry environment and in an air-tight
container. It's likely that it can stay useable for 100+ years.

Over the years, the color sometimes turn from clear to a bit yellow
tinted, but I've never noticed any problems with the burning
performance or putting out any off odors.

Also, my only experience applies for K-1 kerosene. I don't know how
well the lower grade kerosene stuff (i.e. red dye) holds up.

Angello

Old November 24th 10, 03:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote
Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch
electric providers.

Have a great day,
Andy

Just how do you change electric providers?
Old November 24th 10, 04:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

It keeps a long time. I have stored it over 2 years. My fuel oil in my
tank is 3 years old and still works good; don't use much. Burn wood.

--
LSMFT

Old November 24th 10, 05:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2010 9:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Andy" wrote
Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

If the power is that unreliable, I'd be making plans to move or switch
electric providers.

Have a great day,
Andy

Just how do you change electric providers?

Solar power, electricity from God, geothermal, electricity from The
Devil. Perhaps use both with a Yin-Yang distributor to keep good and
evil in balance. Get it installed by that little Mexican electrician,
Jesus and you're good to go. 8-)

TDD
Old November 24th 10, 05:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

For emergencies only, I have a still-in-original-box kerosene
heater.

Emergenceis, lets say, occur only every 5 years. Or 10.

So, you want to store a bunch of kerosene for that
eventual emergency. But doesn't kerosene "go bad"
after a while?

What can you do so as to keep the kerosene "good"
for a LONG time?

----

Also, what do YOU do for keeping around the ability
to heat an area if and when the power goes out
for eg a week or so?

Thanks!

David

I believe K-1 kerosene stores better without treatment than #2 diesel,
and #2 diesel does pretty well by itself. Keeping it sealed and water
free is the main way to ensure long storage life. A biocide is helpful
if there may be some moisture in the fuel that could promote
algae/bacteria growth. Power Service Bio Kleen (not to be confused with
their Diesel Kleen) is a strong biocide that can give you that extra
protection. The cetane boost and anti-gel additives that are available
aren't relevant to kerosene or to basic heaters.